Inform yourself about the importance of parents to a child with these absent father quotes.
Did you know that according to the U.S. Census Bureau, over 18.4 million children live without a biological, step, or adoptive father in their home or life?
To put that into perspective, that means 1 in 4 children in the U.S does not have a father or father figure in their lives.
18.4 million children is a lot of people. That is enough children to fill New York City and Los Angeles four times over.
Common sense tells us that it is essential that parents are in the lives of their children.
On the one hand, an overwhelming amount of research and data supports the idea that a father’s absence negatively impacts the trajectory of children in various ways.
On the other hand, a father’s presence has been proven to increase differences in the lives of both children and mothers.
The absent father quotes below do a good job of showing the effects of an absent father.
Effects of an Absent Father Quotes
This first collection of quotes do a good job of summarizing the effects of an absent father. Take a look below.
1. “Just because your father’s present doesn’t mean he isn’t absent. “ – Elizabeth Acevedo
2. “Don’t be an absent father!” – Abu Muawiyah Ismail Kamdar
3. “It is much easier to become a father than to be one.” – Kent Nerburn
4. “Respect to all moms doing double duty because of men failing to do their part as dad.” – John Mark Green
5. “To be in your children’s memories tomorrow, you have to be in their lives today.” – Barbara Johnson
6. “Don’t forgive him. Forgive yourself for believing there is something lacking in you because he wasn’t there.” – Iyanla Vanzant
7. “Hey “dad” I did it without you.” – Anonymous
8. “The psychological absence of fathers can be nearly as devastating as physical absence.” –Victoria Secunda
9. “It is a wise father that knows his own child.” – William Shakespeare
10. “A father may turn his back on his child, but a mother’s love endures through all.” – Washington Irving
Absent Father Quotes on the Need for a Father
There is no denying that children need a present and loving father. Check out the quotes below for more information.
11. “So many of our young women today, they’re growing up without a father, but they’re still thirsty for that and desiring positive male love.” – Hill Harper
12. “I was an absent dad. Once the magazine started, I really had two families. The dream was the magazine. I worked through the night all the time.” – Hugh Hefner
13. “My father didn’t do anything unusual. He only did what dads are supposed to do: be there.” – Max Lucado
14. “Boys want to grow up to be like their male role models.” – Geoffrey Canada
15. “An absent father is like a ghost that lives in the back of your mind.” – Anonymous
16. “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection” – Sigmund Freud
17. “And boys who grow up in homes with absent fathers search the hardest to figure out what it means to be male.” – Geoffrey Canada
18. “However busy a father is, he will find time for his child.” – Anonymous
19. “Fathers should be neither seen nor heard. That is the only proper basis for family life.” – Oscar Wilde
Absent Father Quotes From Mother
A mother knows how important it is to have a Father involved with children. The quotes below do a good job of showing that.
20. “You know, if fathers just did what they’re supposed to do, half of the junk that we face in the streets wouldn’t exist.” – Nathan Hayes
21. “Real dads are supportive.” – Anonymous
22. “The love you never received as a child, a daughter, or you didn’t get it from your father; he might have been absent your entire upbringing.” – Chimnese Davids
23. “Why do people marry versions of their controlling mothers? Or absent fathers? To have a shot at righting old wrongs”. – Blake Crouch
24. “There is something absent in me, I thought. There was something empty in me that in other people was full.” – Julie Schumacher
25. “A bad father has never a good son. “ – Latin Proverb
26. “An absent father needs to realize his child’s needs before it is too late.” – Anonymous
27. “The parents left you on your own and because of that you missed out on the true form of LOVE.” – Chimnese Davids
28. “When a father, absent during the day, returns home at six, his children receive only his temperament, not his teaching.” – Robert Bly
29. “If she could put the hollow ache that haunts her into words, she would tell him “I miss the father you never were.” – John Mark Green
30. “No I will not beg or bribe anyone to be involved in my children’s lives. If you don’t come around, it sucks to be you.” – Anonymous
Absent Father Quotes From Daughter
This set of absent father quotes are from the perspective of a daughter. They will tug at your heartstrings.
31. “I will even suggest that we don’t have a drug and alcohol problem, nor do we have a crime problem rather, these are only the symptoms that we are experiencing, and the real problem is broken homes that result in broken lives.” – Drexel Deal
32. “As old as she was… She still missed her daddy sometimes.” – Anonymous
33. “The psychological absence of fathers can be nearly as devastating as physical absence. When fathers are alive but not a predictable presence actively participating in their daughter’s lives the relationship becomes a permanent maybe.” – Victoria Secunda
34. “One must balance being a good provider and a father who is there for his children.” –Anonymous
35. “I come from the school of thought where a dad’s absence is something to be counted on. Now I see all the men with camouflage diaper bags and babies hanging from their chests like little ship figureheads.” – Kaui Hart Hemmings
36. “The absent are never without fault, nor the present without excuse.” – Benjamin Franklin
37. “Dear absent father from the mother of a dadyless daughter..i just want to say ..Thank you and you are welcome!” – Anonymous
38. “Father absence has been implicated in anorexia nervosa, in which daughters may exhibit literal father hunger by starving themselves.” – Victoria Secunda
39. “Fathers, your are the head and strength of the family unit. If you are not in place, there is a weakness in the link.” – Anita R. Sneed-Carter
40. “A father is always making his baby into a little woman. And when she is a woman, he turns her back again.” – Enid Bagnold
Absent Father Quotes From Son
This last set of absent father quotes are from the perspective of a son. It isn’t easy to grow up to be a good man, and it is even harder without having a good male influence.
41. “There would be fewer absent fathers, if straight men were turned on only by women with whom they would not mind having children.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
42. “Many of us might have grown up in a house that lacked love, or even without parental supervision.” – Chimnese Davids
43. “One of the things about being a boy, especially growing up without a father, is you really don’t have that Role Model to teach you how to do things.” – Art Alexakis
44. “Daddy’s in the army, there’s a war in Vietnam / Mama kept us going with her sewing and a prayer / It’s hard to be a family when your daddy’s missing.” – Crowell Church
45. “Fathers have a unique and irreplaceable role in the lives of children.” – George W. Bush
46. “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.” – Jim Valvano
47. “When fathers are alive but not a predictable presence actively participating in their daughter’s lives the relationship becomes a permanent maybe.” – Victoria Secunda
48. “Father take note! Children will always remember the man who treated them with love and affection!” – Abu Muawiyah Ismail Kamdar
49. “Because my father was absent on naval duty, my mother suffered me to do as much as I pleased.” – John James Audubon
50. “My dad was a good man but an emotionally absent father, and so I had to look for that male attention somewhere else, and found it in a brother-in-law. He just happened to be an alcoholic.” – Jim Hamilton
We need to have more conversations about the parenting extremes in our country.
Data on absent fathers show that over 7 million fathers were missing from the lives of their minor children.
At the same time, there are over 2 million single dads raising children by themselves.
Divorce is the leading cause of fatherless homes. Children of fatherless homes can have profound psychological scars.
Additionally, children of absent parents are more likely to live in poverty, face incarceration, have unplanned pregnancies, and have higher rates of suicide.
Unquestionably, children do not understand the complicated nuances of relationships.
As a result, many children internalize the absence of a parent and blame themselves.
Motivational speaker Iyanla Vanzant gave powerful advice for those going through that psychological struggle.
She encouragingly lamented, “Don’t forgive him. Forgive yourself for believing there is something lacking in you because he wasn’t there.”
Being present in our children’s lives is a basic measure we can take to ensure their health.
Did some of the absent father quotes apply to you or a close friend or family member? How did it impact you or them?
August 31, 2022 8:00 AM EST