Eleanor Roosevelt was the First Lady like no one else before her.
She was outspoken, courageous, and she used her wisdom to inspire others to achieve greatness.
Looking for inspirational Eleanor Roosevelt quotes that will inspire you to believe in the beauty of your dreams?
Eleanor Roosevelt was an American political figure, diplomat, and activist who served as the First Lady of the U.S. from March 1933 to April 1945.
The longest-serving First Lady of the United States, Eleanor is credited with changing the role of the first lady.
Not satisfied to stay in the background, she found her own voice in public service, helped the country’s poor, spoke out for human and women’s rights, penned her own newspaper column and much more.
Born in New York on October 11, 1884, Eleanor was the niece of Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th U.S. president.
She married her distant cousin Franklin D. Roosevelt, who would later become the 32nd president of the United States of America.
Following her husband’s death, President Harry Truman appointed Eleanor as a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly, and she would later become chair of the U.N.’s Human Rights Commission.
She died on November 7, 1962, at the age of 78.
Below you’ll find our collection of inspirational, wise, and uplifting Eleanor Roosevelt quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Also check out our list of John Locke quotes on character, wealth, and more.
Also, check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily wisdom.
See the rest of our quote database for even more inspirational ideas and thoughts.
Enjoy These Eleanor Roosevelt Quotes
1. “You must do the things you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
You will also enjoy our article on niece quotes.
2. “Happiness is not a goal…it’s a by-product of a life well-lived.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
3. “We are afraid to care too much, for fear that the other person does not care at all.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
4. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Eleanor Roosevelt Quotes about Fear
5. “Campaign behavior for wives: Always be on time. Do as little talking as humanly possible. Lean back in the parade car so everybody can see the president.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
6. “For it isn’t enough to talk of peace. One must believe it. And it isn’t enough to believe in it. One must work at it.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
7. “It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
8. “A woman is like a tea bag – you can’t tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
9. “One’s philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
10. “The giving of love is an education in itself.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
11. “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for a newer and richer experience.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
12. “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
13. “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Eleanor Roosevelt Quotes on Human Rights
14. “Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
15. “Do the things that interest you and do them with all your heart.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
16. “People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
17. “Do what you feel in your heart to be right – for you’ll be criticized anyway. You’ll be damned if you do, and damned if you don’t.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
18. “I could not, at any age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life was meant to be lived. Curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
19. “What you don’t do can be a destructive force.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
20. “Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
21. “It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
22. “I am who I am today because of the choices I made yesterday.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
23. “What could we accomplish if we knew we could not fail?” – Eleanor Roosevelt
24. “You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
25. “A woman is like a teabag – you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
You might also like these Abigail Adams quotes about education, peace, and women’s rights.
Which Eleanor Roosevelt quotes were your favorite?
Eleanor Roosevelt was one of the world’s most widely admired and powerful women of her time.
She redefined the role of the first lady and impacted a lot of lives with her humanitarian work.
Regarded as one of the most ambitious and outspoken first ladies, she played an active role in public policy and fought for political and social change.
She also wrote various books about her life and experiences.
Which Eleanor Roosevelt quotes were your favorite?
Do you have any other inspirational Eleanor Roosevelt quotes to add?
Tell us in the comment section below.
Also, don’t forget to share the post with your friends and followers to inspire them.
August 10, 2022 6:23 AM EST