These profound Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind quotes will have you contemplating life on a deeper level.
When I first saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind it was because it was a homework assignment and I didn’t want to do it. As an overworked college student who had taken on too many classes, I wasn’t thrilled with having to spend two hours watching a movie and then writing an essay on it when I had so many other things to do. But when I begrudgingly sat down to watch the film, I ended up loving it.
Eternal Sunshine explores the story of a couple who fall madly in love, but can’t seem to make their relationship work. They break up but find the pain of living without each other just as unbearable as living with each other. So, they decide to erase the memories of their relationship.
The film investigates real-life themes like love, the nature of attraction, destiny, regret, communication, and the importance of memory.
Eternal Sunshine is a complex film with a fantastic story and beautiful cinematography. With themes so human, the film hits home hard and resonates with the audience on a deep level.
Here are the some of best quotes from this iconic film.
Don’t forget to also check out these Casablanca quotes from the classic movie.
Best Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind quotes
1. “I wish I had stayed too. NOW I wish I had stayed. I wish I had done a lot of things. I wish I had… I wish I had stayed. I do.” — Joel Barish
2. “I can’t remember anything without you.” — Joel Barish
3. “Please let me keep this memory, just this one.” — Joel Barish
4. “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.” — Mary
5. “How happy is the blameless vestal’s lot! The world forgetting, by the world, forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray’r accepted, and each wish resign’d.” — Mary
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind quotes about love
6. “I can’t see anything I don’t like about you.” — Joel Barish
7. “Remember me. Try your best. Maybe we can.” — Clementine Kruczynski
8. “Can it cause brain damage?” — Joel Barish
9. “I had a really nice time last night. I had the best f*cking night of my entire f*cking life, last night!” — Joel Barish
10. “I could die right now, Clem. I’m just… happy. I’ve never felt that before. I’m just exactly where I want to be.” — Joel Barish
11. “That’s what I love about you.” — Joel Barish
12. “Joel, look at me. You’ll remember me in the morning, and you’ll come to me, and you’ll tell me about us, and we’ll start over.” — Clementine Kruczynski
13. “I thought maybe you were a nut. But you were exciting.” — Clementine Kruczynski
14. “Joely, don’t ever leave me.” — Clementine Kruczynski
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind quotes about relationships
15. “Constantly talking isn’t necessarily communicating.” — Joel Barish
16. “Too many guys think I’m a concept, or I complete them, or I’m gonna make them alive. But I’m just a f*cked-up girl who’s lookin’ for my own peace of mind; don’t assign me yours.” — Clementine Kruczynski
17. “You’re pretty.” — Joel Barish
18. “Are we like those bored couples you feel sorry for in restaurants? Are we the dining dead? I can’t stand the idea of us being a couple people think that about.” — Joel Barish
19. “Why do I fall in love with every woman I see that shows me the least bit of attention.” — Joel Barish
20. “If only I could meet someone new. I guess my chances of that happening are somewhat diminished, seeing that I’m incapable of making eye contact with a woman I don’t know.” — Joel Barish
21. “My embarrassing admission is I really like that you’re nice, right now.” — Clementine Kruczynski
22. “I don’t constantly talk! Jesus! People have to share things, Joel…” — Clementine Kruczynski
23. “Not yet, not married. No, I’m not married.” — Joel Barish
24. “You don’t tell me things, Joel. I’m an open book. I tell you everything, every damn, embarrassing thing.” — Clementine Kruczynski
25. “What a loss to spend that much time with someone, only to find out that she’s a stranger.” — Joel Barish
26. “You’re not a stalker, or anything, right?” — Clementine Kruczynski
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind quotes about life
27. “What do you want Joel?” — Clementine Kruczynski
28. “I don’t know! I want you to wait for just a… a while.” — Joel Barish
29. “I don’t need nice. I don’t need myself to be it, and I don’t need anybody else to be it at me.” — Clementine Kruczynski
30. “Adults are, like, this mess of sadness and phobias.” — Mary
31. “You had the whole human race pegged.” — Joel Barish
32. “I want to read some of those journals you’re constantly scribbling in. What do you write in there if you don’t have any thoughts or passions or… love?” — Clementine Kruczynski
33. “You know me, I’m impulsive.” — Clementine Kruczynski
34. “I don’t know! I DON’T KNOW! I’m lost! I’m scared! I feel like I’m disappearing! MY SKIN’S COMING OFF! I’M GETTING OLD! Nothing makes any sense to me! NOTHING MAKES ANY SENSE!” — Clementine Kruczynski
35. “I walked out the door. There’s no memory left.” — Joel Barish
36. “I’m sorry… I just, my life isn’t that interesting.” — Joel Barish
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind quotes about regret
37. “Hi. Didn’t figure you’d show your face around me again. I guess I thought you were… humiliated. You did run away, after all.” — Clementine Kruczynski
38. “Look at it out here! It’s all falling apart. I’m erasing you, and I’m happy! You did it to me first. I can’t believe you did this to me. Clem! Did you hear me? By morning, you’ll be gone! The perfect ending to this piece of sh*t story!” — Joel Barish
39. “I wish you’d stayed.” — Clementine Kruczynski
40. “Can you hear me? I don’t want this anymore! I want to call it off!” — Joel Barish
41. “I came back downstairs, and you were gone.” — Clementine Kruczynski
More Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind quotes
42. “Now, the first thing we need you to do, Mr. Barish, is go to home and collect everything you own that has some association with Clementine. Anything. We’ll use these items to create a map of Clementine in your brain, okay? So we’ll need photos, clothing, gifts, books she may have bought you, CDs you may have bought together. Journal entries. You want to empty your home, you want to empty your life, of Clementine.” — Dr. Howard Mierzwiak
43. “It’s amazing, isn’t it? What Howard gives to the world? To let people begin again. It’s beautiful, you look at a baby and it’s so pure, and so free, and so clean, and adults are like this mess of sadness and phobias, and Howard just makes it all go away.” — Mary
44. “This is it, Joel. It’s going to be gone soon.” — Clementine Kruczynski
45. “Am I ugly?” — Clementine Kruczynski
46. “Look, I’m sorry if I came off a little nutso, I’m not really.” — Clementine Kruczynski
47. “Aw, that’s… very sweet, but try.” — Clementine Kruczynski
48. “Yeah. I thought you knew that about me. I ran back to the bonfire, trying to outrun my humiliation, I think.” — Joel Barish
49. “Sand is overrated. It’s just tiny, little rocks.” — Joel Barish
50. “Meet me… In Montauk.” — Clementine Kruczynski
Do you believe in destiny?
Eternal Sunshine is a movie that is not only a fun science-fiction drama but also one of the greatest love stories in modern cinema. However, more than just a love story or a drama, Eternal Sunshine is also a philosophical exploration of love, life, and happiness.
If a person’s memories help shape the person into who they are, then to erase a memory is to erase a part of that person. However, even after their memories are erased, Joel and Clementine still find themselves drawn to one another. Are they destined to be together? Or did the erasure of their memories remove their ability to learn from the past and therefore they are destined to repeat old patterns?
Eternal Sunshine is a film that pierces the heart and leaves you contemplating love, life, and the wonders of the human brain.
Did you enjoy these Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind quotes and lines? Which quote was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below.