Bob’s music was full of meaningful lyrics that encouraged us all to find a higher purpose for our life.
It doesn’t matter how many years have passed since the world lost this musical legend, these Bob Marley quotes will expand your mind and enhance your logic.
Read on to find a beautiful collection of quotes by Bob Marley, some of which are pulled straight from Bob Marley lyrics that still inspire people around the world today.
Marley commonly denounced an addiction to chasing money and accumulating material things.
He thought there was much more to life than Western consumerism. And that, he believed was revolutionary.
Born Robert Nesta Marley in the parish of St. Ann, Jamaica, on Feb. 6, 1945, the legendary reggae musician was known for incorporating ideas of financial empowerment, love and happiness, and social justice into his music.
He considered these ideas to be his truth and saw it as his job to speak on such topics.
He never steered away from saying something controversial. His music both healed and powerfully called attention to social change and oppression.
Bob was also a proud Rasta and was very religious.
He was much more than a leader of a band; he was a public figure who used his voice to stand for something much greater than himself.
Bob Marley will always be remembered for his politically conscious music that transcended race, age, and economics.
In honor of his legacy and global impact, here are some motivational and inspirational Bob Marley quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources.
And when you’re done, check out these songs about dreaming big.
Robert Nesta Marley
6 February 1945 – 11 May 1981
Bob Marley Quotes On Life That Will Inspire You
1. “Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live!” – Bob Marley
2. “Live for yourself and you will live in vain; Live for others, and you will live again.” – Bob Marley
3. “Tell the children the truth.” – Bob Marley
4. “The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.” – Bob Marley
5. “The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?” – Bob Marley
Bob Marley quotes on God (Jah) and Love
6. “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.” – Bob Marley
7. “Beginnings are usually scary, and endings are usually sad, but its everything in between that makes it all worth living.” – Bob Marley
9. “You say you love rain, but you use an umbrella to walk under it. You say you love sun, but you seek shelter when it is shining. You say you love wind, but when it comes you close your windows. So that’s why I’m scared when you say you love me.” – Bob Marley
Bob Marley quotes on relationships
11. “He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. – Bob Marley
12. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. – Bob Marley
13. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.” – Bob Marley
14. “And no matter what game they play
We got something they can never take away”
― Bob Marley
More quotes by Bob Marley to inspire you
15. “Only once in your life, I truly believe, you find someone who can completely turn your world around. You tell them things that you’ve never shared with another soul and they absorb everything you say and actually want to hear more.
You share hopes for the future, dreams that will never come true, goals that were never achieved and the many disappointments life has thrown at you. – Bob Marley
16. When something wonderful happens, you can’t wait to tell them about it, knowing they will share in your excitement. They are not embarrassed to cry with you when you are hurting or laugh with you when you make a fool of yourself.
Never do they hurt your feelings or make you feel like you are not good enough, but rather they build you up and show you the things about yourself that make you special and even beautiful. – Bob Marley
17. There is never any pressure, jealousy or competition but only a quiet calmness when they are around. You can be yourself and not worry about what they will think of you because they love you for who you are. The things that seem insignificant to most people such as a note, song or walk become invaluable treasures kept safe in your heart to cherish forever.
Memories of your childhood come back and are so clear and vivid it’s like being young again. Colours seem brighter and more brilliant. Laughter seems part of daily life where before it was infrequent or didn’t exist at all. – Bob Marley
18. A phone call or two during the day helps to get you through a long day’s work and always brings a smile to your face. In their presence, there’s no need for continuous conversation, but you find you’re quite content in just having them nearby.
Things that never interested you before become fascinating because you know they are important to this person who is so special to you. – Bob Marley
More Inspirational Rasta Quotes and Sayings
19. You think of this person on every occasion and in everything you do. Simple things bring them to mind like a pale blue sky, gentle wind or even a storm cloud on the horizon.
You open your heart knowing that there’s a chance it may be broken one day and in opening your heart, you experience a love and joy that you never dreamed possible.
You find that being vulnerable is the only way to allow your heart to feel true pleasure that’s so real it scares you.
20. You find strength in knowing you have a true friend and possibly a soul mate who will remain loyal to the end. Life seems completely different, exciting and worthwhile. Your only hope and security is in knowing that they are a part of your life.” – Bob Marley
21. “If she’s amazing, she won’t be easy. If she’s easy, she won’t be amazing. If she’s worth it, you won’t give up. If you give up, you’re not worthy. … Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.” – Bob Marley
Bob Marley quotes on money
22. “Money is numbers and numbers never end. If it takes money to be happy, your search for happiness will never end.”
― Bob Marley
Bob Marley quotes on wisdom
23. Old pirates, yes, they rob I;
Sold I to the merchant ships,
Minutes after they took I
From the bottomless pit.
But my hand was made strong
By the ‘and of the Almighty.
We forward in this generation
Won’t you help to sing
These songs of freedom?
‘Cause all I ever have:
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
None but ourselves can free our minds.
Have no fear for atomic energy,
‘Cause none of them can stop the time.
How long shall they kill our prophets,
While we stand aside and look? Ooh!
Some say it’s just a part of it:
We’ve got to fulfill the book. – Bob Marley
More Rastafarian quotes about love and life
24. “The day you stop racing, is the day you win the race.” – Bob Marley
Best Bob Marley quotes from his songs
25. “Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don’t complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy.
Don’t bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake up and live!” – Bob Marley,
26. “You can fool some people sometimes/but you can’t fool all the people all the time” – Bob Marley, Get Up Stand Up
27. “One good thing about music—when it hits you, you feel no pain” – Bob Marley, Trench Town Rock
28. “In the abundance of water, a fool is thirsty” – Bob Marley, Rat Race
29. “Don’t worry about a thing ’cause every little thing gonna be alright”– Bob Marley “Three Little Birds”
30. “Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, no one but ourselves can free our minds” – Bob Marley, Redemption Song
31. “One love, one heart. Let’s get together and feel all right” – Bob Marley
Bob Marley quotes about love and relationships
32. “The biggest coward is a man who awakens a woman’s love with no intention of loving her” – Bob Marley
33. “Overcome the devils with a thing called love.” – Bob Marley
34. “The winds that sometimes take something we love, are the same that bring us something we learn to love. Therefore we should not cry about something that was taken from us, but, yes, love what we have been given. Because what is really ours is never gone forever.” ― Bob Marley
35. “Love would never leave us alone” ― Bob Marley
36. “If you can love the wrong person that much, imagine how much you can love the right one.” ― Bob Marley
37. “What important is man should live in righteousness, in natural love for mankind.” ― Bob Marley
38. “Some will hate you pretend they love you now then behind they try to eliminate you.” ― Bob Marley
Uplifting Bob Marley quotes
39. “Love the life you live. live the life you love.” – Bob Marley
40. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have” – Bob Marley
41. “Don’t gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold” – Bob Marley
42. “The good times of today are the sad thoughts of tomorrow.” – Bob Marley
43. “Better to die fighting for freedom than be a prisoner all the days of your life” – Bob Marley
44. “Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.” – Bob Marley
45. “Though the road’s been rocky, it sure feels good to me.” – Bob Marley
46. “Every man got the right to decide his own destiny.” – Bob Marley
47. “When the root is strong, the fruit is sweet.” – Bob Marley
48. “Truth is the light, so you never give up the fight.” – Bob Marley
49. “When one door is closed, don’t you know that many more are open?” – Bob Marley
50. “As a man sow, shall he reap. and I know that talk is cheap. But the heat of the battle is as sweet as the victory.” – Bob Marley
Great Bob Marley quotes that will change your life
51. “When one door is closed, don’t you know, another is open.” – Bob Marley
52. “Prejudice is a chain, it can hold you. If you prejudice, you can’t move, you keep prejudice for years. Never get nowhere with that.” – Bob Marley
53. “Don’t trust people whose feelings change with time. Trust people whose feelings remain the same, even when the time changes.” – Bob Marley
54. “Conquer the devils with a little thing called love.” – Bob Marley
55. “If you get down and quarrel everyday, you’re saying prayers to the devil, I say.” – Bob Marley
56. “The biggest coward of a man is to awaken the love of a woman without the intention of loving her.” – Bob Marley
57. “I will never regret you or say I wish I’d never met you, because once upon a time, you were exactly what I needed.” – Bob Marley
58. “Man can’t do without God. Just like you’re thirsty, you have to drink water. You just can’t go without God.” – Bob Marley
59. “My fear is my only courage.” – Bob Marley
60. “My music will go on forever. Maybe it’s a fool say that, but when me know facts me can say facts. My music will go on forever.” – Bob Marley
Bob Marley quotes that will change your perspective on life
61. “You not supposed to feel down over whatever happen to you. I mean, you’re supposed to use whatever happen to you as some type of upper, not a downer.”– Bob Marley
62. “You just can’t live that negative way. You know what I mean. Make way for the positive day. Cause it’s a new day…”– Bob Marley
63. “I no have education. I have inspiration. If I was educated I would be a damn fool.”– Bob Marley
64. “Judge not, before you judge yourself.”– Bob Marley
65. “So before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.”– Bob Marley
66. “Though the road’s been rocky it sure feels good to me.” ― Bob Marley
67. “My feet is my only carriage.” ― Bob Marley
68. “Man is a universe within himself.” ― Bob Marley
69. “I went deep inside myself. I had time to explore my beliefs and because of that I’m stronger.”― Bob Marley
70. “I’ve been here before and will come again, but I’m not going this trip through.” ― Bob Marley
Other inspiring Bob Marley quotes
71. “I don’t stand for black man’s side, I don’t stand for white man’s side, I stand for God’s side.”― Bob Marley
72. “Your Worst Enemy Could Be Your Best Friend && Your Best Friend Your Worst Enemy” ― Bob Marley
73. “You can’t find the right roads when the streets are paved.” ― Bob Marley
74. “In this bright future you can’t forget your past.” ― Bob Marley
75. “Free speech carries with it some freedom to listen.”― Bob Marley
76. “What we struggle to make of it is our sole gift to Jah. The process of what that struggle becomes, in time, the Truth.”― Bob Marley
77. “When the race gets hard to run. It means you just can’t take the peace.”
― Bob Marley
78. “Don’t forget your history nor your destiny” ― Bob Marley
79. “Never expect God to do for you what you don’t do to others.”
― Bob Marley
80. “In the high tide or low tide, I’m gonna be your friend… I’m gonna be your friend!” ― Bob Marley
More Bob Marley quotes
81. “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.” – Bob Marley
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of alcohol quotes about the impact of drinking.
82. “Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you’re living?” – Bob Marley
83. “The stone that the builder refused shall be the head cornerstone.” – Bob Marley
84. “Most people think great god will come from the skies, take away everything, and make everybody feel high. But if you know what life is worth, you will look for yours on earth.” – Bob Marley
85. “Things will be OK in the end. If it’s not OK, it’s not the end.” – Bob Marley
86. “Only a foolish dog barks at a flying bird.” – Bob Marley
87. “The problem is people are being hated when they are real, and are being loved when they are fake.” – Bob Marley
88. “Don’t let them change you….or even re-arrange you.” – Bob Marley
Which Bob Marley quotes were your favorites?
Bob Marley is remembered for more than his music. His legacy left such a huge impact on people all over the world.
Marley’s messages about fighting injustices influenced a revolution. He became an internationally recognized legend despite coming from a humble background.
And even after reaching the top of his game, he still maintained a humble nature.
Hopefully, these Bob Marley quotes have uplifted your mind and changed the way you look at life.
Did you enjoy these Bob Marley quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Tell us in the comment section below.
March 17, 2021 5:00 AM EST