Turn those lemons into freshly squeezed lemonade with these excellent encouraging quotes as your motivation.
Once you read these deep quotes about encouragement, you’ll have the ability to move mountains and set your sights on anything you put your mind to!
We may feel bad that something did not go as planned, or we may be struggling with why something did not work. We may not understand why we were passed up for the promotion this time, or why people did not respond with enthusiasm to something we were sure they were going to love.
No matter the reason, sometimes all it takes are some quotes of encouragement to remind us that it is all going to be OK; that we will figure things out, and that everything really does happen for a purpose.
Below is a list of encouraging quotes from people far better than I, at providing you the motivation and inspiration that you need to lift you up and get you headed in the right direction.
Don’t forget to also read our collection of encouraging Brené Brown quotes that will make you strong.
Encouraging quotes for when life gets tough
1. “Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
2. “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.” – Kenji Miyazawa
3. “Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.” – Greg Anderson
4. “Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.” – Dale Carnegie
5. “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” – Anne Frank
Don’t forget to also check out our collection of quotes about new beginnings and starting fresh.
Encouraging quotes to keep you moving forward
6. “Happiness resides not in possessions and not in gold, the feeling of happiness dwells in the soul.” – Democritus
7. “Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” – John Wooden
8. “Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside of them was superior to circumstance.” – Bruce Barton
9. “Be thankful for what you have and you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.” – Oprah Winfrey
10. “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them – that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” – Lao Tzu
Also, check out these inspirational quotes about the American Dream.
Quotes of encouragement to help you face anything today
11. “A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.” – David Brinkley
12. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.” – Mark Twain
13. “When we stop opposing reality, action becomes simple, fluid, kind, and fearless.” – Byron Katie
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of simple quotes that will help you live a simply beautiful life.
14. “Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy.” – Groucho Marx
15. “I’ve always loved journaling as a way to clear my mind. Whether I’m traveling or at home, the first thing I do when I wake up is pull out my notebook and record positive things that have happened to me as well as uplifting thoughts.” – Gloria Reuben
Also, check out these inspirational wallpaper quotes for living life to the fullest.
Encouraging quotes to inspire progress
16. “Precious’ is strangely uplifting. It goes down into the valley but it also goes to the mountain tops. A lot of difficult realities are explored in ‘Precious,’ but the peaks make the valleys and the valleys make the peaks.” – Geoffrey S. Fletcher
17. “If there is no struggle, there is no progress.“ – Frederick Douglass
18. “In essence, if we want to direct our lives, we must take control of our consistent actions. It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” – Tony Robbins
19. “A constructive, useful life, good works, and good relationships are as valid as writing poetry or inventing a machine. Anything that one does well and obtains satisfaction from is a good enough reason for living. To be a decent human being that people like and feel better for knowing is enough.” – Robert Gould
20. “A ship is always safe at the shore – but that is NOT what it is built for.” – Albert Einstein
Don’t forget to also read these quotes from Shawshank Redemption that will give you hope even if it seems like there’s no way out.
Encouraging quotes to inspire you to success
21. “The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.” – Mark Twain
22. “I believe that one defines oneself by reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself. To cut yourself out of stone.” – Henry Rollins
23. “Cherish your visions and your dreams as they are the children of your soul, the blueprints of your ultimate achievements.” – Napoleon Hill
24. “Your destiny is to fulfill those things upon which you focus most intently. So choose to keep your focus on that which is truly magnificent, beautiful, uplifting and joyful. Your life is always moving toward something.” – Ralph Marston
25. “Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing.” – L.M. Montgomery
You might also like these inspirational cheer quotes that will make your day better.
Encouraging quotes to help you overcome obstacles
26. “I Won’ is not a love song. It’s just me uplifting women in general. I’m giving women the power to treat themselves as a trophy – to show that and know it in yourself and be confident – because when they do that, whoever they’re with is winning.” – Nayvadius Cash
27. “Rise above the storm and you will find the sunshine.” – Mario Fernandez
28. “Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.” – John Lennon
29. “Every small positive change we make in ourselves repays us in confidence in the future.” – Alice Walker
30. “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” – Albert Einstein
Quotes of encouragement to keep you moving
31. “Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.” – Will Rogers
32. “The best way out is always through.” – Robert Frost
33. “Your destiny is to fulfill those things upon which you focus most intently. So choose to keep your focus on that which is truly magnificent, beautiful, uplifting and joyful. Your life is always moving toward something.” – Ralph Marston
34. “Choice is more than picking ‘x’ over ‘y.’ It is a responsibility to separate the meaningful and the uplifting from the trivial and the disheartening. It is the only tool we have that enables us to go from who we are today to who we want to be tomorrow.” – Sheena Iyengar
35. “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
Don’t forget to also read these funny inspirational quotes celebrating life, love & struggles.
Quotes of encouragement to help you win
36. “I think Romeo and Juliet is uplifting. That’s how much a son wishes to avenge his father. That is how much two young people can love each other.” – Ben Kingsley
37. “Life has no limitations, except the ones you make.” – Les Brown
38. “Don’t wait. The time will never be just right.” – Napoleon Hill
39. “We are each gifted in a unique and important way. It is our privilege and our adventure to discover our own special light.” – Mary Dunbar
40. “I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
Encouraging quotes to inspire you on your journey
41. “If I persist long enough I will win.” – Og Mandino
42. “With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.” – Max Ehrmann
43. “Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” – Henry David Thoreau
44. “A memoir should have some uplifting quality, inspiring or illuminating, and that’s what separates a life story that can influence other people.“ – Mitch Albom
45. “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” – Nelson Mandela
If you’re enjoying this article, be sure to also check out these motivational quotes of the day for daily rejuvenation.
Quotes of encouragement for when things get tough
46. “In my books and in romance as a genre, there is a positive, uplifting feeling that leaves the reader with a sense of encouragement and hope for a brighter future – or a brighter present.” – Debbie Macomber
47. “I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.” – Audrey Hepburn
48. “Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent.” – Steve Martin
49. “Like success, failure is many things to many people. With a positive mental attitude, failure is a learning experience, a rung on the ladder, a plateau at which to get your thoughts in order and prepare to try again.” – Clement Stone
50. “You cannot expect victory and plan for defeat.” – Joel Osteen
51. “I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
You might also like these heart touching quotes celebrating love and life.
Quotes of encouragement for when you feel low
52. “Don’t give up. Don’t lose hope. Don’t sell out.” – Christopher Reeve
53. “The truest greatness lies in being kind, the truest wisdom in a happy mind.” – Ella Wheeler Wilcox
54. “Music does a lot of things for a lot of people. It’s transporting, for sure. It can take you right back, years back, to the very moment certain things happened in your life. It’s uplifting, it’s encouraging, it’s strengthening.” – Aretha Franklin
55. “Defeat is simply a signal to press onward.” – Helen Keller
56. “I was recently asked about the business side of ‘Biggest Loser,’ but as long as we entertain people, we can keep coming back and making a difference. It’s a delicate balance, but one feeds off the other. I feel so good about the show – it’s uplifting and inspiring and entertaining at the same time.” – Alison Sweeney
57. “I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.” – Jimmy Dean
58. “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller
If you’re enjoying this collection of quotes, then you’ll love our collection of short inspirational quotes that will help you remain positive and optimistic.
59. “Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habit.” – Mahatma Gandhi
60. “I’d rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.” – George Burns
Encouraging quotes to inspire you toward your goals
61. “Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.” – Albert Einstein
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of insanity quotes to help you stay sane in the chaos that is life.
62. “We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.” – Buddha
63. “Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting.” – William Arthur Ward
64. “Sometimes before we make a record I go back and listen to a few. It’s equally humbling and uplifting.” – Michael Stipe
65. “I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
Quotes of encouragement to inspire and motivate
66. “The more the panic grows, the more uplifting the image of a man who refuses to bow to the terror.” – Ernst Junger
67. “Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.” – Albert Einstein
68. “Real Integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody’s going to know whether you did it or not.” – Oprah Winfrey
69. “The world is more malleable than you think and it’s waiting for you to hammer it into shape.” – Bono
70. “It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.” – Joseph Campbell
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Joseph Campbell quotes to inspire long term thinking.
Quotes of encouragement to brighten your day
71. “Problems are not stop signs, they are guidelines.” – Robert H. Schuller
72. “I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition.” – Martha Washington
73. “There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle.” – Albert Einstein
74. “I try to make my mood uplifting and peaceful, then watch the world around me reflect that mood.” – Yaya DaCosta
75. “In the middle of a difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein
76. “Listening to music is such an uplifting, spiritual thing. It’s far-fetched to some – I understand that. But the way dance music brings people together, it’s not a big stretch from hymns.” – Kaskade
77. “Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.” – Truman Capote
78. “Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.” – Stephen King
79. “Don’t be intimidated by what you don’t know. That can be your greatest strength and ensure that you do things differently from everyone else.” – Sara Blakely
80. “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” – Theodore Roosevelt
Encouraging quotes that offer inspiration and comfort
81. “Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.” – Robert F. Kennedy
82. “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
83. “Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.” – Benjamin Franklin
84. “What can a pencil do for all of us? Amazing things. It can write transcendent poetry, uplifting music, or life-changing equations; it can sketch the future, give life to untold beauty, and communicate the full-force of our love and aspirations.” – Adam Braun
85. “The best way to predict the future is to create it.” – Abraham Lincoln
86. “An uplifting sense of purpose is more than an impetus for individual accomplishment, it is also a necessary insurance policy against expediency and impropriety.” – Gary Hamel
87. “Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.” – Samuel Beckett
88. “Big jobs usually go to the men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
89. “Learn to enjoy every minute of your life. Be happy now. Don’t wait for something outside of yourself to make you happy in the future. Think how really precious is the time you have to spend, whether it’s at work or with your family. Every minute should be enjoyed and savored.” – Earl Nightingale
90. “Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it.” – Charles R. Swindoll
Don’t forget to also read out the handpicked collection of Monday motivation quotes to start your week off on the right track.
Quotes of encouragement to inspire and teach
91. “The first step is you have to say that you can.” – Will Smith
92. “I don’t believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive.” – Joseph Campbell
93. “How you think about a problem is more important than the problem itself. So always think positively.” – Norman Vincent Peale
94. “I want people to see that the cosmic perspective is simultaneously honest about the universe we live in and uplifting, when we realize how far we have come and how wonderful is this world of ours.” – Neil deGrasse Tyson
95. “Most great people have attained their greatest success one step beyond their greatest failure.” – Napoleon Hill
96. “It is not the first duty of the novelist to provide blueprints for insurrection, or uplifting tales of successful resistance for the benefit of the opposition. The naming of what is there is what is important.” – Ian Mcewan
97. “All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make, the better.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
98. “Once you choose hope, anything’s possible.” – Christopher Reeve
99. “Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein
100. “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’!” – Audrey Hepburn
Encouraging quotes to make your day better
101. “There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it’s going to be a butterfly.” – Buckminster Fuller
102. “Keep your face always toward the sunshine—and shadows will fall behind you.” —Walt Whitman
103. “Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale.”– Hans Christian Andersen
104. “The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.” —Bertrand Russell
105. “Choose to be optimistic, it feels better.” – Dalai Lama
106. “All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination.” —Earl Nightingale
107. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life. It goes on.”– Robert Frost
108. “The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money.” —Thomas Jefferson
109. “Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day-in and day-out.”– Robert Collier
110. “Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.” —Maya Angelou
Encouraging quotes to overcome obstacles
111. “A big part of being a well-adjusted person is accepting that you can’t be good at everything.”– Kelly Williams Brown
112. “It is always the simple that produces the marvelous.” —Amelia Barr
113. “Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.”– William James
114. “Let us make our future now, and let us make our dreams tomorrow’s reality.” —Malala Yousafzai
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of reality quotes aimed at helping you live your best life.
115. “Even if happiness forgets you a little bit, never completely forget about it.”– Jacques Prevert
116. “Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit.” —E. E. Cummings
117. “It doesn’t matter how slow you go, as long as you don’t stop.”– Confucius
118. “I believe that if one always looked at the skies, one would end up with wings.” —Gustave Flaubert
119. “When the sun is shining I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.” —Wilma Rudolph
120. “I dwell in possibility.” —Emily Dickinson
Encouraging quotes to inspire progress
121. “Any kind of crisis can be good. It wakes you up.” – Ryan Reynolds
122. “Work hard in silence, let your success be your noise.”— Frank Ocean
123. “Close scrutiny will show that most ‘crisis situations’ are opportunities to either advance, or stay where you are.” – Maxwell Maltz
124. “If you want something you have never had, you must be willing to do something you have never done.”— Thomas Jefferson
125. “Crises and deadlocks when they occur have at least this advantage, that they force us to think.” – Jawaharlal Nehru
126. “Two things define you: Your patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything.”— Imam Ali
127. “Great occasions do not make heroes or cowards; they simply unveil them to our eyes. Silently and imperceptibly, as we wake or sleep, we grow strong or weak; and at last some crisis shows what we have become.” –Brooke Foss Westcott
You might also like these pain quotes will help you channel your warrior within.
128. “The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.”— Walter Bagehot
129. “Something good comes out of every crisis.” – Dave Pelzer
130. “Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.”— Earl Nightingale
Encouraging quotes to elevate your mind
131. “Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.” — Judy Garland
132. “I don’t think of all the misery but of the beauty that still remains.” — Anne Frank
133. “I think the best way to have confidence is not to allow everyone else’s insecurities to be your own.” — Jessie J
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of insecurity quotes to help you gain confidence.
134. “You learn something out of everything, and you come to realize more than ever that we’re all here for a certain space of time, and, and then it’s going to be over, and you better make this count.” — Nancy Reagan
135. “When you notice that you’re having negative thoughts about how all of this is going to pan out, you need to remind yourself that you are not a very good fortune teller.” — Donna W. Hill
136. “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.” – Alice Walker
137. “Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment.” — Oprah
138. “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.” – Amelia Earhart
139. “Keep your sunny side up, keep yourself beautiful, and indulge yourself.” — Betsey Johnson
140. “Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.” – Dalai Lama
More encouraging quotes and sayings
141. “It doesn’t matter who you are, where you come from. The ability to triumph begins with you. Always.” – Oprah Winfrey
142. “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
143. “I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.” – Og Mandino
144. “It is time for us all to stand and cheer for the doer, the achiever – the one who recognizes the challenges and does something about it.” – Vince Lombardi
145. “In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” – Albert Einstein
146. “You just can’t beat the person who never gives up.” – Babe Ruth
147. “It doesn’t matter how slow you go as long as you don’t stop.” –Confucius
148. “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe
149. “He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
150. “In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can.” – Nikos Kazantzakis
Also check out these insightful disappointment quotes on life and love.
Which of these encouraging quotes was your favorite?
It’s normal to feel down and out sometimes. But rest assured that whatever it is that you’re facing now, you’ll be alright. Things have a way of resolving themselves when we least expect it. So just keep your chin up and keep these quotes of encouragement in your pocket (or tablet). 😉
Did you enjoy these encouraging quotes? Which of the quotes was your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
October 14, 2020 6:10 AM EST