If you loved the musical, read the book, and enjoyed the movie, you’re not going to want to skip reading these Mamma Mia quotes.
Mamma Mia originated as a musical that was based on ABBA songs back in 1999. It eventually turned into a book and then was transformed into a musical romantic comedy.
While there were big expectations for the film, critics felt mixed about it when it premiered. However, fans received it well.
Mamma Mia is the story of a young woman who is getting married and trying to figure out who her father is.
She invites the three possible dads to her wedding and that’s where it takes off. Enjoy these Mamma Mia quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out these Jerry Maguire quotes that will make you want to scream ‘show me the money’
Mamma Mia Quotes about Life and Growing Up
1. “The best things in life, the very best things happen unexpectedly.” – Donna
2. “I don’t know what my future holds, but the world is wide and I want to make some memories.” – Donna
3. “Being a grudge holder makes you fat.” – Ruby
4. “May the best of our lives be the best of our lives.” – Tanya
5. “In your case, age becomes you as it does a tree, the wine, and cheese.” – Officer
6. “There’s an island, Kalokairi. People used to think if you sailed on from there, you’d fall off the edge of the world. That sounds like the place for me.” – Donna
7. “I don’t want my children growing up, not knowing who their father is, because it’s just, it’s crap!” – Sophie
8. “Little boys who play with fire get their fingers burned.” – Tanya
9. “Look at you! God! Stop growing! You sound like you’re having
fun already.” – Donna
Mamma Mia Quotes about Love
10. “When you fall, you fall. And when you’ve been defeated by love, you’re utterly defeated.” – Harry
11. “I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow.” – Sky
12. “When you know, you know.” – Harry
13. “I don’t know how to sing about love if I’m not feeling it.” – Donna
14. “I’ve done the big white wedding, and believe me, it doesn’t always end in “happy ever after.” – Sam
15. “I have two grown children. I know something about letting go.” – Sam
Mamma Mia Quotes about Family, Freedom, and Identity
16. “It’s my stag do – my last night of freedom. Which is how some people might see it. But for me, it’s the last night before the greatest adventure of my life.” – Sky
17. “That doesn’t come from finding your father. That comes from finding yourself.” – Sky
18. “It’s just over the years people have tended to be extremely complimentary about my ears.” – Harry
19. “Typical isn’t it? You wait 20 years for a dad and then three come along at once.” – Rosie
20. “You have the courage of a lion, the passion of a panther and the wisdom of a flamingo.” – Fernando
21. “I don’t care if you slept with hundreds of men, you’re my mom, and I love you so much.” – Sophie
22. “I want the perfect wedding, and I want my father to give me away.” – Sophie
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of wedding quotes that celebrate love, friendship, and marriage.
23. “It’s about knowing who I am. And I wanted to get married knowing who I am.” – Sophie
24. “You give that woman hell when you get home.” – Rosie
25. “I will know my father as soon as I see him.” – Sophie
26. “I feel like there’s a part of me missing, and when I meet my dad, everything will fall into place.” – Sophie
Mamma Mia Quotes about Dream and Choices
27. “Whatever you dream, we’ll make it real.” – Senor Cienfuegos
28. “Nothing focuses the mind like the last minute.” – Sophie
29. “I don’t know where they are, I don’t know why they’re here, and I have brought this all on myself because I was a stupid, reckless little slut.” – Donna
30. “The thing about the toilet — If it doesn’t flush right away, just go, and come back in a while, and it should — Nothing works around here, except for me.” – Donna
31. “Do what makes your soul shine.” – Rosie
32. “You know what to do. You don’t have to do anything.” – Donna
33. “You don’t mess with a masterpiece.” – Barman
Mamma Mia Quotes about Hardships and Journey
34. “There’s no use climbing the ladder if you’re on completely the wrong wall.” – Harry
35. “It’s not easy being a mother. If it was, fathers would do it.” – Donna
36. “It’s one of those serendipitous moments in life when three complete strangers share a common thought.” – Bill
37. “All my life, there’s been this huge unanswered question, and I don’t want any more secrecy.” – Sophie
38. “Last night, I discovered something wonderful. It was a wake-up call, a way to look at myself and what I really want out of life.” – Harry
39. “This is my reality. Hard work and a crippling mortgage.” – Donna
40. “There’s no plan, God knows there’s no plan. It looks great, though.” – Donna
41. “The earth moved, darling. We’re falling apart here.” – Donna
42. “I just thought we should save our money for traveling.” – Sky
More Mamma Mia Quotes
43. “If you had your way, it’d be a three-minute wedding in jeans and T-shirts, washed down with a bottle of beer.” – Sophie
44. “You always knew how to make an entrance.” – Sam
45. “You know, your books are a godsend on dull business trips.” – Harry
46. “You’d think with all this new technology, they would figure out a machine that would make the beds.” – Donna
47. “I’m just whining, you know me. I don’t need to be taken care of.” – Donna
48. “I’ve heard all this from my mother, and I think she knows me better than you do.” – Sophie
49. “For her, now that her book is a bestseller, and she’s got the whole world stuffing, it’s time to find Mr. Right!” – Tanya
50. “I may look like I’m pondering my securities, but in reality, I’m trekking across some remote corner of the planet.” – Harry
Which of these Mamma Mia quotes is your favorite?
If you have no experience with Mamma Mia, there are plenty of options for you to enjoy it.
You can read the book if that’s more your style or you can stream the movie. There’s romance. There’s singing. And there’s comedy.
Even if you’ve never heard of Mamma Mia, if you liked the band ABBA, you’ll appreciate the music throughout the movie. The main song is straight from the 1970s hit of the same name.
The music alone is what made so many people excited about the release of the movie. It was one of the top running jukebox musicals on Broadway.
Did you enjoy reading these Mamma Mia quotes and lines? Which of the quotes is your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
January 28, 2021 7:00 AM EST