Jenni Rivera was told she would never make it in music. So she became one of the greatest artists in the regional Mexican music genre in modern times. We hope you enjoy these Jenni Rivera quotes.
Born in Long Beach, California in 1969, Jenni was the daughter of Mexican immigrants. She was a straight-A student until her sophomore year when she became a teenage mother at 15.
Instead of dropping out of school, Jenni continued to get her GED and became valedictorian of her graduating class.
Jenni began her music career in the mid-1990s. As a curvy young mother, Jenni was not what the music industry was looking for, especially in the male-dominated regional Mexican music genre. Despite having doors slammed, and her CDs thrown away right in front of her face, Jenni persisted until she finally found success. Enjoy these Jenni Rivera quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out these Maria Felix quotes that reveal a lot about the Mexican diva.
Jenny Rivera quotes and sayings about mindset
1. “Thank you for accepting me as I am, with my virtues and defects.” — Jenni Rivera
2. “Perhaps trying to move away from my problems and focus on the positive is the best I can do.” — Jenni Rivera
3. “I can’t get caught up in the negative because that destroys you.” — Jenni Rivera
4. “My ass is big because a lot of people have to kiss it.” — Jenni Rivera
5. “You work hard and you have expectations. So I’m living my expectations right now.” — Jenni Rivera
Empowering Jenni Rivera quotes
6. “I’m just being myself. To me, that people are interested in Jenni, not necessarily the artist, but the woman… it amazes me still.” — Jenni Rivera
7. “It doesn’t bother me at all that some people think I am too outspoken.” — Jenni Rivera
8. “I realized going back and writing and explaining in details the difficulties I had lived actually became emotional again. It’s like therapy but sometimes therapy can be painful. But it’s part of life and part of the autobiography so I’ll have to finish it sooner or later.” — Jenni Rivera
9. “Malandrinas’ means ‘bad girls,’ but not bad in a negative way. I wrote it in homage to my female fans.” — Jenni Rivera
10. “Whatever you do, Mija, do your best. Be different from everyone. Stand out.” — Jenni Rivera
11. “I am a woman like any other and ugly things happen to me like any other women.” — Jenni Rivera
Jenni Rivera quotes about love, music and her career
12. “I’m really in touch with my fans. Through their emails, letters and stories is how I decide what music I’m going to perform.” — Jenni Rivera
13. “I am the same as the public as my fans.” — Jenni Rivera
14. “I want to be the Mexican-American Oprah Winfrey. That’s a small goal, isn’t it? That’s something that I want. And of course not just to host, I want to OWN it! So, that’s in my future.” — Jenni Rivera
15. “Being a recording artist, selling music, selling concerts out, having a reality show, starting film; it’s great, it’s beautiful.” — Jenni Rivera
16. “I made a living out of singing Mexican music.” — Jenni Rivera
17. “The people in the industry tried to make me change. If you want to make it in this genre, they said, you have to do this or that. A lot of women had to do sexual favors to get played on the radio. Fuck that. I wouldn’t do it. I wanted to make it based on my talent or not at all.” — Jenni Rivera
18. “I’ve been recording since 1993. It was a hobby for six of those years. In 1999, I decided to do it full time and take it seriously.” — Jenni Rivera
19. “My inspiration is always what I think my fans want to listen to. I often write about social problems. If I’m not going through it or I haven’t gone through it, I want to make sure it touches someone. That’s what I base my music on.” — Jenni Rivera
20. “Mexican music runs through my veins. I loved it. Growing up, my father didn’t allow us to listen to English music at home. That’s all I heard. I had no choice.” — Jenni Rivera
Motivational Jenni Rivera quotes
21. “The number of times I have fallen down is the number of times I have gotten up.” — Jenni Rivera
22. “No one else has ever opened doors for me. I opened them myself.” — Jenni Rivera
23. “I’m happy for the success that I’ve had, but I’ve worked so hard at it.” — Jenni Rivera
24. “I had no choice but to work hard. I was a straight-A student, went to college, and I loved business.” — Jenni Rivera
25. “The key to success in life is getting up early.” — Jenni Rivera
26. “Whenever I took a step forward, it seemed as though life was pushing me five steps back.” — Jenni Rivera
27. “There was not just one American dream, in a nation of immigrants, there are countless versions of the dream; the Mexican American dream, the African American dream, the Cuban American dream, etc. I’ve always thought that was such a beautiful lesson and I’ve carried it with me throughout my life.” — Jenni Rivera
Jenni Rivera quotes on being tough
28. “I wasn’t going out easy. I was the gangsta bitch from Long Beach. The Rivera Rebel who never lost a fight.” — Jenni Rivera
29. “If he hits me, I’m going to hit him back.” — Jenni Rivera
30. “In my family, they always called me “unbreakable”, and I never wanted to shatter this image of myself. On the outside, I kept my head up and maintained my tough girl image. However inside I was dying.” — Jenni Rivera
31. “My mother never let on that anything was wrong. She kept her chin up and acted as if everything were just fine. So we did too.” — Jenni Rivera
32. “I was not a girl who picked fights. I was a nerd, a straight-A student. I usually got along with everyone, but if a boy touched my butt, it was on. I would turn right around and sock him in the mouth and then get him down on the ground and start punching. Nobody was going to touch my ass and get away with it.” — Jenni Rivera
Other inspirational Jenni Rivera song quotes
33. “Usually, when a young girl is pregnant, she drops out of school and concentrates on being a mother. I thought that’s what I had to do, but my counselors told me there was no way they would let me drop out. I had too much promise.” — Jenni Rivera
34. “When I started getting so many haters and closed doors, I decided to prove that it could be done. I was a divorced single mother of three at the time and a size 12 – not your typical model artist that labels feel work for the music industry.” — Jenni Rivera
35. “If I had the opportunity to speak to a young immigrant girl that just arrived to the U.S. the advice I would have for her would be: ask, speak, search; because there are opportunities out there.” — Jenni Rivera
36. “When somebody else’s happiness makes you happy, it means you are a person with a big heart.” — Jenni Rivera
37. “You can always trust me. I will never judge you.” — Jenni Rivera
38. “With or without my man, I was going to make them proud to have me as a mother. And I was going to make my parents proud, once again, to have me as a daughter.” — Jenni Rivera
39. “Being a mother by far is my favorite and most important career.” — Jenni Rivera
Did these Jenni Rivera quotes inspire you?
Jenni Rivera was a woman who knew how to go after her dreams. After repeatedly having the door slammed in her face, she persisted until she finally found success.
After signing with Sony, she would go on to win the Lo Nuestro Award for Regional Mexican Female Artist of the Year nine consecutive years in a row, star in and produce her own television show, and win two Oye! Awards (Mexico’s equivalent to the Grammy’s in the United States).
Unfortunately, Rivera would die before her time in a plane crash in 2012. Following her death, Rivera’s Oscar-worthy film debut Filly Brown was released as well as her final album and autobiography.
Did you enjoy these Jenni Rivera quotes and lyrics? Which quote was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below.
June 9, 2021 7:00 AM EST