These The Rolling Stones quotes come from some of their best songs like Paint it Black, Ruby Tuesday, Sympathy for the Devil, and You Can’t Always Get What You Want.
Rock-and-roll, blues, and even pop music would not sound like what it does today, if not for The Rolling Stones, the iconic English rock band formed in the 60s. The Rolling Stones have had such an impressive career, that even young people like my children will sing along with some of their most popular songs.
Of course, the band wouldn’t be the band without band members Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, and Charlie Watts (all of them featured in these The Rolling Stones quotes). While Ronnie Wood didn’t make the quotes list, we can’t ignore his contribution to the music!
If the band’s stellar record-smashing success wasn’t enough of an indicator that the group had ‘made it,’ then having another popular group write and perform a song dedicated to the frontman should be enough to convince anyone!
I don’t know what is more impressive, the fact that the band has an estimated record sales of $240 million, making them one of the best-selling music artists of all time; or Maroon 5’s Moves Like Jagger tribute… Jagger has some undeniably wild moves!
Keep reading to learn more about the band and its members like, who is the oldest member (and just how old they are)!
Don’t forget to also check out these song quotes from some of the biggest hits.
The Rolling Stones quotes from the hit song Paint it Black
1. “I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky.” — The Rolling Stones, Paint It Black
2. “I look inside myself and see my heart is black.” — The Rolling Stones, Paint It Black
3. “I see a red door and I want it painted black.” — The Rolling Stones, Paint It Black
4. “I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes, I have to turn my head until my darkness goes.” — The Rolling Stones, Paint It Black
5. “I’ve seen people turn their heads and quickly look away, like a newborn baby it just happens every day.” — The Rolling Stones, Paint It Black
6. “If I look hard enough into the setting sun, my love will laugh with me before the morning comes.” — The Rolling Stones, Paint It Black
7. “No more will my green sea go turn a deeper blue, I could not foresee this thing happening to you.” — The Rolling Stones, Paint It Black
The Rolling Stones quotes from other popular songs
8. “Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind.” — The Rolling Stones, Ruby Tuesday
9. “You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you’ll find you get what you need.” — The Rolling Stones, You Can’t Always Get What You Want
10. “Faith has been broken tears must be cried.” — The Rolling Stones, Wild Horses
11. “She blew my nose and then she blew my mind.” — The Rolling Stones, Honky Tonk Women
12. “All your kisses still taste sweet.” — The Rolling Stones, Angie
13. “She comes in colors everywhere.” — The Rolling Stones, She’s A Rainbow
14. “And her face is like a sail. Speck of white so fair and pale.” — The Rolling Stones, She’s A Rainbow
15. “Yesterday don’t matter if it’s gone.” — The Rolling Stones, Ruby Tuesday
16. “Send me dead flowers by the mail.” — The Rolling Stones, Dead Flowers
17. “I’m a man of wealth and taste.” — The Rolling Stones, Sympathy For The Devil
18. “She just can’t be chained. To a life where nothing’s gained.” — The Rolling Stones, Ruby Tuesday
19. “Women think I’m tasty, but they’re always tryin’ to waste me.” — The Rolling Stones, Dead Flowers
20. “Supposed to fire my imagination.” — The Rolling Stones, (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
21. “I can’t get no girl reaction.” — The Rolling Stones, (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
The Rolling Stones quotes from Mick Jagger
22. “Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.” — Mick Jagger
23. “Lose your dreams and you might lose your mind.” — Mick Jagger
24. “It’s all right letting yourself go, as long as you can get yourself back.” — Mick Jagger
25. “The past is a great place and I don’t want to erase it or to regret it, but I don’t want to be its prisoner either.” — Mick Jagger
26. “Anarchy is the only slight glimmer of hope.” — Mick Jagger
27. “People think they know you. They know the things about you that you have forgotten.” — Mick Jagger
28. “A good thing never ends.” — Mick Jagger
29. “I have never wanted to give up performing on stage, but one day the tours will be over.” — Mick Jagger
30. “People have this obsession. They want you to be like you were in 1969. They want you to because otherwise, their youth goes with you. It’s very selfish, but it’s understandable.” — Mick Jagger
The Rolling Stones quotes from Keith Richards
31. “I’ve never had a problem with drugs. I’ve had problems with the police.” — Keith Richards
32. “If you don’t know the blues… there’s no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock-and-roll or any other form of popular music.” — Keith Richards
33. “You have the sun, you have the moon, you have the air that you breathe – and you have the Rolling Stones!” — Keith Richards
34. “It’s great to be here. It’s great to be anywhere.” — Keith Richards
35. “Everyone talks about rock these days; the problem is they forget about the roll.” — Keith Richards
36. “If you’re going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use both feet.” — Keith Richards
37. “Everybody’s got a different way of telling a story – and has different stories to tell.” — Keith Richards
38. “It’s an addiction… and addiction is something I should know something about.” — Keith Richards
39. “Good music comes out of people playing together, knowing what they want to do and going for it. You have to sweat over it and bug it to death. You can’t do it by pushing buttons and watching a TV screen.” — Keith Richards
40. “This is the rock ‘n’ roll life, and you had to invent it as you went along. There was no textbook to say how you operate this machinery.” — Keith Richards
41. “Songwriting’s a weird game. I never intended to become one – I fell into this by mistake, and I can’t get out of it. It fascinates me. I like to point out the rawer points of life.” — Keith Richards
The Rolling Stones quotes from Charlie Watts
42. “Rock-and-roll has probably given more than it’s taken.” — Charlie Watts
43. “I hate leaving home. I love what I do, but I’d love to go home every night.” — Charlie Watts
44. “When I was a kid I never learned to play. I actually got in bands through watching people play and copying them.” — Charlie Watts
45. “It doesn’t really change, actually. I think The Rolling Stones have gotten a lot better. An awful lot better, I think. A lot of people don’t, but I think they have, and to me that’s gratifying. It’s worth it.” — Charlie Watts
46. “Usually I can hear the pianos, the saxophone, and usually I can hear Ronnie. But I really need to listen to Keith and Mick. The rest of the band is sort of an embellishment to that.” — Charlie Watts
47. “We always work at least a month to six weeks before we go on the road, usually for something like eight to 12 hours a night. It took six weeks to do it this time. We just play virtually everything we know.” — Charlie Watts
48. “I never had lessons. Used to try to play to records, which I hated doing. Still can’t play to them.” — Charlie Watts
49. “It’s been years and years and years I’ve been playing the drums, and they’re still a challenge. I still enjoy using drumsticks and a snare drum.” — Charlie Watts
50. “People say I play real loud. I don’t, actually. I’m recorded loud and a lot of that is because we have good engineers. Mick knows what a good drum sound is as well, so that’s part of the illusion, really. I can’t play loud.” — Charlie Watts
Which of these The Rolling Stones quotes is your favorite?
So who is the oldest member of The Rolling Stones? All four shareholding members of the band are still alive. The oldest is Charlie Watts, who is 80. Everyone else is in their 70s. Brian Jones, who founded the band but was dismissed in 1969, died just a month later from drowning in his swimming pool at 27.
The band is still working, and released a new song in 2020, Living In a Ghost Town. It was on the Goats Head Soup 2020 album, which according to the band “Features three unheard tracks, sitting alongside an all-new stereo mix of the original 1973 album, plus demos, outtakes, live performances & more.” They are also supposed to be doing a “No Filter” tour. Plans were initially put on hold because of the COVID-19 pandemic, but things are back on track!
What is your favorite The Rolling Stones song? Let us know in the comment section below!
July 20, 2021 7:00 AM EST