Looking for inspirational birthday quotes?
It is always fun to celebrate birthdays, as well as to think about the many things that have been said about or that relate to them. Aside from getting wiser, one can delight in good food and good company.
Here are some awesome birthday quotes to liven up your big day, and perhaps even share with family and friends.
Famous Birthday Quotes Celebrating Life
Since first reading Dr. Seuss, my favorite birthday quote has been:
1. “Today you are You; that is truer than true.
There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” – Dr. Seuss
Getting older (and hopefully wiser), we face old age, our senior years. Perhaps Emily Dickinson has the right idea:
2. “We turn not older with years, but newer every day” – Emily Dickinson
Sam Hagar reinforced this idea saying:
3. “Every year on your birthday, you get a chance to start new.” – Sam Hagar
Can we live with that idea? Here’s what I always say:
4. “Wow, thank you Lord for another great chance to make a difference.”
Yes, I am grateful that I’m still alive. But life isn’t forever, so remember:
5. “Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Henry Ford agreed:
6. “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at 20 or 80.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young”. – Henry Ford
Band leader, Les Brown emphasized:
7. “You’re never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream” – Les Brown
George Eliot said:
8. “It is never too late to be what you might have been.” – George Eliot
While I was still in school, I had to read writings by ancient philosophers. I never thought they were relevant to me. As another birthday approaches, I’ve looked at some of those words of wisdom, re-evaluating their relevance.
Perhaps they are things that I’ve learned to live by, to accept – and yes – use as birthday quotes:
9. “God gave us the gift of life; it is up to us to
give ourselves the gift of living well,” – Voltaire
A great birthday quote by William Shakespeare’s is:
10. “With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.” – William Shakespeare
Inspirational Birthday Quotes and Sayings
Mark Twain agreed,
11. “Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been.” – Mark Twain
Certainly some good things to remember as we celebrate birthdays! Samuel Ullman said:
12. “Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.” – Samuel Ullman
At birthday gatherings you also might also want to quote:
13. “Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words,” – Plautus
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of wine quotes to celebrate over your favorite glass.
14. “Man’s main task in life is to give birth to himself,
to become what he potentially is,” – E. Fromm
15. “Age is opportunity no less than youth itself,” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of age quotes for the young and the young at heart.
16. “Happiness is when what you think, what you say,
and what you do are in harmony,” – Mahatma Gandhi
Or you might hear:
17. “I’m like a fine wine. They don’t bring me out very much
But, I am well preserved,” – Rose Kennedy
18. “Beautiful young people are accidents of nature,
But beautiful old people are works of art,” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Of course in discussing getting older, other pearls of wisdom are shared:
19. “The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune,” – English Proverb
20. “None are as old as those who have outlived enthusiasm,” – Henry David Thoreau
Also read these young at heart quotes for the young and young at heart.
Birthday Quotes and sayings to uplift you
21. “It’s not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old,
They grow old because they stop pursuing dreams,” – Gabriel G. Marquez
Another great birthday quote, this one by a comedian is:
22. “Age is strictly a case of mind over matter.
If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter,” – Jack Benny
Another by George Burns is,
23. “You can’t help getting older, but you don’t have to get old.” – George Burns
With laughter, Bob Hope said,
24. “You know you’re getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.” – Bob Hope
Who would want to fix things?
25. “If we could be twice young and twice old,
we could correct all our mistakes,” – Euripides
For those with a strong belief in God:
26. “Our life is a gift from the Creator. Your gift back to the Creator is what you do with your life,” – Billy Mills
Hearts are always mentioned with birthdays:
27. “Some people, no matter how old they get, never lose their beauty –
They merely move it from their faces into their hearts,” – Martin Buxbaum
28. “The heart of the giver makes the gift dear and precious,” – Martin Luther
Some U.S. Presidents have made some birthday quotes:
29. “Be sure you put your feet in the right place,
then stand firm,” – Lincoln
30. “Whatever you are, be a good one.” – Lincoln
Happy Birthday Quotes that will make your day
31. “Let us seek the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past.
Let us accept our own responsibility for the future,” – Kennedy
Words of wisdom for aging from Confucius:
32. “Study the past if you would define the future!”
33. “It doesn’t matter how slowly you go, so long as you don’t stop.”
34. “Choose a job you love.You will never have to work a day in your life.”
35. “The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions.”
As we grow older, may we remember these wise quotes:
35. “It is not the strongest of the species that survive
But the one most responsive to change,” – Darwin
36. “It’s the mark of an educated mind to be able to
entertain a thought without accepting it,” – Aristotle
37. “Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving,” – Einstein
38. “Obstacles are those frightful things you see
when you take your eyes off the goal,” – Henry Ford
39. “Don’t celebrate how old you are,
celebrate the years you survived.” – Touaxia Vang
40. “Don’t anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen,” – Ben Franklin
Happy Birthday Quotes and Wishes to make you strong
41. “Someday you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.” – C.S. Lewis
42. “Count your age by friends, not years, your life by smiles, not tears.” – John Lennon
43. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” – Tolkien
So, as we all age – day by day, and as I pray I get to reach 70 in a couple of years, I often repeat this quote:
44. “I don’t mind getting older; it’s a privilege denied to so many!” ― Chris Geiger, ‘The Cancer Survivors Club’
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of getting older quotes that will make you embrace the beauty in aging.
45. “A birthday is the anniversary of your birth. It’s the time most of us reflect over the past year and what we hope for in the coming year.” – Claudia T Hudson
46. “Today is the oldest you have been, and the youngest you will ever be. Make the most of it!” – Nicky Gumbel
47. “There are two attitudes you can have when it comes to your birthday:
1. be thankful you have lived another year.
or, 2. complain about being a year older.” – Catherine Pulsifer
48. “When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.” – Cherokee Expression
49. “Your age isn’t you. Use today to feel your best, celebrate and be your very happiest.” – M. Rivers
50. “A birth-date is a reminder to celebrate the life as well as to update the life.” – Amit Kalantri
More birthday quotes for friends, family and loved ones
51. “A birthday is not a day to fear. It is a day to celebrate and look forward to the coming year.” – Byron Pulsifer
52. “Birthdays are inevitable, beautiful and very particular moments in our lives! Moments that bring precious memories back, celebrate the present times and give hope for the future.” – Bsbr Arish
53. “Your birthday is my pleasure. You are my sweetest treasure.” – Danny Demeersseman
54. “We have to be able to grow up. Our wrinkles are our medals of the passage of life. They are what we have been through and who we want to be.” – Lauren Hutton
55. “Your birthday is the beginning of your own personal new year. Your first birthday was a beginning, and each new birthday is a chance to begin again, to start over, to take a new grip on life.” – Wilfred Peterson
56. “I enjoy celebrating birthdays. Everyone should have their birthday celebrated.” – Loraine D. Nunley
57. “May your years be counted not by your age
but by how you spend your days.” – Catherine Pulsifer
58. “Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wing of time.” – Jean Paul Richter
59. “Birthdays come but once a year, celebrate and be of good cheer.” Robert Rivers
60. “Each year as our birthday comes, our thoughts and beliefs may change a bit from year to year. But believe our wish for you is always the same, may you find happiness and blessings all of your days!” – Catherine Pulsifer
More birthday quotes and sayings
61. “Birthdays could be such a bummer when you were older than the country you lived in.” – Lynsay Sands
62. “Every day is a gift. But some days are packaged better.” – Sanhita Baruah
63. “Birthdays are happy as a child, defeatist with age and joyful again at surviving another year.” – Stewart Stafford
64. “Birthdays were made for going wild over the people we think are amazing.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
65. “The only way that getting older can be a bad thing is if you are not fully living in the moment now.” – Andrena Sawyer
66. “Rather than see ageing as a reason to contract, we should view it as an opportunity to expand. We should make each year of our lives are more interesting than the one before.” – Srinivas Rao
67. “Every birthday celebrates a life because every life is important.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
68. “Birthday should be considered as a unit of measurement to measure our present status toward success!” – Mohith Agadi
69. “Birthdays; They never cease to exist, and like birthdays you will never cease to exist in my heart.” – Xela Ffronrims
70. “Birthdays are special days. It reminds us of that day when the heavens gave miracles our way. You are a MIRACLE. Bless yourself. Bless others. Be a blessing.” – Mystqx Skye
Did you find your favorite birthday quotes here?
Birthdays are special days – not only to celebrate among people we love, but also to remind us of how far we’ve come in life. During this occasion, keep these beautiful quotes handy as a gift to yourself.
April 7, 2021 5:30 AM EST