Broken Promises Quotes On Keeping Your Word
December 1, 2022 8:00 AM EST
Apart from being inspirational, broken promise quotes can help you keep your promises.
In fact, keeping one’s promise brings value to your life and makes it possible for you to earn respect in society.
Although it appears easy to keep a promise, sometimes people don’t mind breaking them.
Most of us have failed to keep our promises on various occasions.
Hence, evaluating the ways to overcome bad habits like breaking promises is more than essential.
What does the phrase Keeping Promise means?
The phrase “Keeping Promise” means doing an act that you have previously said to do.
It’s a kind of commitment you make with another person.
Simply put, keeping a promise is a verbal contract between two individuals.
Merely giving your words is binding on a person as if these words have been written on a contract.
Why Keeping our Promise is Hard for Some?
Most of us aren’t aware of how powerful our words are.
Hence, we don’t know why we should stick to our words.
Although there might be many reasons for not keeping our promises, here are some of the most common ones to consider.
- While you make a promise, you don’t have the intention to keep it
- Sometimes, you don’t remember what you have agreed to
- You don’t consider it necessary to abide by your words
- There isn’t a will to renegotiate the terms of a promise that was previously made
- You have changed your mind and don’t want to keep the promise
- If keeping your word isn’t beneficial for you anymore
Consequences of Breaking a Promise
The consequences associated with breaking a promise depend on the type of promise you have broken.
If you make a promise to someone who is in a close relationship with you, the consequences of breaking such a promise can be devastating.
Apart from affecting a relationship, breaking a promise can also damage your credibility.
Here are some of the most prominent consequences that you may face when not keeping your promise.
- You may miss opportunities to excel in your life
- It could damage your relationship with others
- People will refer to you as an unreliable person
- Your bad reputation can trigger conflicts with others
- In the end, you will experience the guilt of not keeping your words
Inspirational broken promises quotes
1. “Breach of promise is a base surrender of truth.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
2. “The best way to keep one’s word is not to give it.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
3. “It felt liked a broken promise. Like the Fisher King’s wound; never heals.” ― Ian Brennan
4. “Half the promises people say were never kept, were never made.” ―Edgar Watson Howe
5. “There’s nothing worse than breaking a promise to someone who cares about you.” ―Lisa Kleypas
6. “I would rather be accused of breaking precedents than breaking promises.” ― John F. Kennedy
7. “This world is full of broken things: Broken hearts, broken promises, broken people.” ― John Connolly
8. “We must not promise what we ought not, lest we be called on to perform what we cannot.” — Abraham Lincoln
9. “Promises may get thee friends, but non-performance will turn them into enemies.” ―Benjamin Franklin
10. “His promises were, as he then was, mighty; But his performance, as he is now, nothing.” — William Shakespeare
Thought-provoking broken promises quotes
11. “All promise outruns performance.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
12. “Don’t make any promises that you can’t keep.” — Ann Marie Aguilar
13. “Promises are about as good as already chewed-up gum.” — Ce Johnson
14. “His words were like Satin on her Skin. She just picked the lies she liked the best.” — Efrat Cybulkiewicz
15. “Decisions and promises can be made, and also broken due to sudden unexpected changes.” ― Tara Ramsey
16. “The world is always changing. Learn how to allow for it. Someone makes a promise, and then they break it.” — Elizabeth Gilbert
17. “Broken vows are like broken mirrors. They leave those who held to them bleeding and staring at fractured images of themselves.” — Richard Paul Evans
18. “Trust, is the stone thrown into the sea, sinking deep in all its murkiness, unable to see what it once lived and believed to be a promise.” — Anthony Liccione
19. “When a man takes an oath… he’s holding his own self in his own hands. Like water. And if he opens his fingers, then – he needn’t hope to find himself again.” — Robert Bolt
20. “Far too often, the best thing I can have in my hand when someone makes a promise is a really big broom so that I can sweep up the broken pieces.” — Craig D. Lounsbrough
Broken promises quotes to help you keep your word
21. “One promises much to avoid giving little.” — Luc de Clapiers
22. “Broken promises, like a broken glass, is hard to replace.” ― Wille Mae Gaskin
23. “Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.” — Warren Buffett
24. “We promise according to our hopes and perform according to our fears.” — Francois de La Rochefoucauld
25. “My distant colors still bleeding, a broken promise for the soul, never loving, never healing.” — James Dean Bradfield
26. “Mankind can make promises and break them. The truth is, mankind doesn’t always keep their promises.” — Beatrice Ivory
27. “Take your broken promises, and don’t come back again / It’s time to say goodbye, I’m gonna leave you where you lie.” — Lance Dowdle
28. “I told you in confidence, and trusted you’d never sacrifice our silence, I rise from the ashes, And remains of your broken promises.” — Jonas Ekdahl
29. “I’ve tried to change, but they always around, pulling me down in bed, Gave you my word, but they were just broken promises.” — Christopher Maurice Brown
30. “Promises are the uniquely human way of ordering the future, making it predictable and reliable to the extent that this is humanly possible.” — Hannah Arendt
Interesting broken promises quotes
31. “Some promises are better left unsaid.” — Ashlee Simpson
32. “Promises and pie crusts are made to be broken.” — Jonathan Swift
33. “Breach of promise is a base surrender of truth.” — Mohandas Gandhi
34. “Better break your word than do worse in keeping it.” — Thomas Fuller
35. “Some persons make promises for the pleasure of breaking them.” — William Hazlitt
36. “One must have a good memory to be able to keep the promises one makes.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
37. “Promises are like crying babies in a theater. They should be carried out at once.” ― Norman Vincent Peale
38. “It always makes my heart sick when I remember all the good words and the broken promises.” ― Chief Joseph
39. “The promise given was a necessity of the past: the word broken is a necessity of the present.” — Niccolo Machiavelli
40. “When you have a dream, and someone makes promises they keep breaking, it is hard to recover. You lose hope.” ― Yasmine El Rashidi
Wise broken promise quotes
41. “Liars make the best promises.” — Pierce Brown
42. “Better a broken promise than none at all.” — Mark Twain
43. “Oaths are but words, and words but wind.” — Samuel Butler
44. “Never promise more than you can perform.” ― Publilius Syrus
45. “Sometimes your pledges become your problems.” ― Amit Kalantri
46. “Broken promises are the worst. Better not to promise anything.” ― Bill Lishman
47. “Promises are only as strong as the person who gives them…” ― Stephen Richards
48. “But promises based on ignorance always prove disappointing.” — Jussi Adler-Olsen
49. “Broken promises. Shattered dreams. Life is full of miseries. Deep wounds. Scribbled randomly. Just on blank page.” ― Bisma Altaf
50. “He spoke again as if he hadn’t just shattered his promise and her security. Her house of glass now lay in a pile of shards.” ― Aleatha Romig
How these broken promises quotes can help change your life
The broken promises quotes listed above are powerful enough to change your thinking about promises.
After reading these quotes, you would think twice before breaking a promise.
In fact, failing to keep your promise shows our values and standards.
If you are keeping promises, it means you value other people’s feelings.
It also shows that you intend to respect others and their feelings.
Failure to do so would drastically affect your relationships.
It also affects how people perceive you as a person.
Keep your promises if you want people to perceive you as a reliable and trusted person.
Check out the song Broken Promises by Summer Walker (it is great!).
Tell us your favorite broken promises quote in the comment section below.
If you found this article inspirational, please share it on your social media feed!