If you’re searching for wise words that will open your mind, eyes, and heart to the ways of selflessness and compassion, then these Mahatma Gandhi quotes are perfect for you.
A man defined by peace, understanding, and challenging others to do the same, Mahatma Gandhi was a man that many loved and respected.
Gandhi is a man that needs no introduction.
Tell us your favorite Gandhi quote in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these Gandhi quotes?
Gandhi changed a nation and changed the world with his:
Mahatma Gandhi is an undying reminder of how one person can inspire a community, a nation, and the world.
Gandhi stood for peace, equality, and non-violent protest and was even an inspiration for Martin Luther King, Jr.
Gandhi is proof that one man can make massive changes, inspire a world and preserve their character throughout the journey.
Born on 2nd October 1869 in North West India, Gandhi was an activist, lawyer, politician, and writer.
His upbringing was infused with the Jain pacifist teachings of mutual tolerance, non-injury to living beings, and vegetarianism.
He was assassinated on 30 January 1948, when he was 78 years old.
First, let’s look at some life lessons from Gandhi; the quotes come after.
You might also like these inspirational world peace quotes that give you hope for humanity.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quote category page has even more inspirational and educational quotes.
Mahatma Gandhi Life Lessons
1. Lead A Simple Life.
Gandhi felt glamorous lifestyles shouldn’t tempt us and that the most meaningful lives are simple and purposeful.
Gandhi believed that when life is minimal, we can effectively focus on self-improvement.
2. Be Selfless
Gandhi believed we should focus more on positive impact and kindness than personal achievement and personal gain.
He believed everyone can do small things to improve the lives of their neighbors.
3. Always Be Yourself
Gandhi led by example and refused to dress any other way than what he thought was right for him and his mission.
He encouraged other people to do the same thing. Be who you are at all costs.
4. Lead By Example
Before we can change the world, we must change ourselves.
Gandhi believed that before we even consider changing the world, we commit ourselves to personal improvement.
Only then will we know, understand, and appreciate what it takes to make meaningful change.
5. The Mind Will Always Be Stronger Than Your Body
Gandhi believed that the person with the strongest mind wins.
A person who can control their emotions, fear, desire for revenge, and violence will win every single time.
Gandhi challenged all people to develop their courage and compassion during battle times.
Mahatma Gandhi Quotes about love and life
1. “You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.” – Mahatma Gandhi
2. “There is more to life than simply increasing its speed.” – Mahatma Gandhi
3. “Faith is not something to grasp, it is a state to grow into.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Also check out these wise Osho quotes on love, mindfulness, and more.
Mahatma Gandhi Quotes about forgiveness
4. “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Great Gandhi quotes about happiness
5. “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Most famous Mahatma Gandhi quote
6. “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” –Mahatma Gandhi
7. “In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”- Mahatma Gandhi
8. “There goes my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.” – Mahatma Gandhi
9. “First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Best Gandhi quotes about peace
10. “There is no ‘way to peace,’ there is only peace.” – Mahatma Gandhi
11. “Poverty is the worst form of violence.” – Mahatma Gandhi
12. “As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world – that is the myth of the atomic age – as in being able to remake ourselves.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Mahatma Gandhi Quotes
13. “Seek not greater wealth, but simpler pleasure; not higher fortune, but deeper felicity.” – Mahatma Gandhi
14. “My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and my talents and I lay them both at his feet.” – Mahatma Gandhi
More Gandhi quotes about love and life
15. “I first learned the concepts of non-violence in my marriage.”- Mahatma Gandhi
16. “There is no school equal to a decent home and no teacher equal to a virtuous parent.”- Mahatma Gandhi
17. “Don’t talk about it. The rose doesn’t have to propagate its perfume. It just gives it forth, and people are drawn to it. Live it, and people will come to see the source of your power.”- Mahatma Gandhi
18. “A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.”- Mahatma Gandhi
19. “You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.”- Mahatma Gandhi
20. “You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.”- Mahatma Gandhi
21. “If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.”- Mahatma Gandhi
Quotes by Gandhi about suffering
22. “Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”- Mahatma Gandhi
23. “I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.”- Mahatma Gandhi
24. “The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”- Mahatma Gandhi
If you’re enjoying these quotes, read our collection of quotes about service and the power of serving others.
25. “Each night, when I go to sleep, I die. And the next morning, when I wake up, I am reborn.”- Mahatma Gandhi
Have you seen these empathy quotes to help you understand and share the feelings of others?
Which Mahatma Gandhi quotes were your favorite?
As you can see from these quotes, Gandhi was big on compassion, vision, tolerance, and patience.
His words remind us we can inspire the world and change our life.
We live in a world with a lot of violence, and people take life for granted.
Hopefully, these Mahatma Gandhi quotes will inspire you to preserve your character and live your best life.
Tell us your favorite Gandhi quote in the comment section and don’t forget to click the share button!
November 25, 2022 4:28 AM EST