60 Benjamin Franklin Quotes on Education, Success & Life
Embrace your inner Founding Father with the help of these Benjamin Franklin quotes.
April 19, 2023 6:29 AM EST
These Benjamin Franklin quotes show why he is sometimes referred to as “The First American” and is widely known as one of the most important people in American history.
Share if you agree in the comments.
Benjamin Franklin’s legacy lives on even centuries after his death.
This Founding Father of the United States was intelligent, courageous, and offered us up some remarkable words to live by.
Benjamin Franklin was one of the Founding Fathers of the United States who drafted the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States.
You may also enjoy our article on:
A study published in the Journal of Applied Psychology found that people who set specific and challenging goals are more likely to achieve them than those who set general goals or no goals at all.
Benjamin Franklin’s quote, “If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail” highlights the importance of setting specific goals to achieve success.
He was a polymath who’s remembered for being a leading author, printer, political theorist, politician, Freemason, postmaster, scientist, inventor, humorist, civic activist, statesman, and diplomat.
Franklin was a major figure in the American Enlightenment and founded many civic organizations, including the Library Company and the University of Pennsylvania.
During the revolution, Franklin became the first United States Postmaster General, and he also served as governor of Pennsylvania from 1785 to 1788.
As one of America’s most influential Founding Fathers, Benjamin Franklin clearly tapped into his Everyday Power, and there are lots of great lessons to be learned from his colorful life and words of wisdom.
Below are some powerful Benjamin Franklin quotes to inspire you.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
If you enjoy this collection, check out our inspirational quotes category page.
Best Benjamin Franklin quotes on success and life
A study published in the journal Social Science & Medicine found that people who engage in regular physical activity have lower rates of chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer.
Benjamin Franklin’s quote, “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise” emphasizes the importance of healthy habits for overall well-being.
1. “He that can have patience can have what he will.”― Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on veterans day quotes.
2. “Honesty is the best policy.” –Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on letterkenny quotes.
3. “Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead.”― Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about education.
4. “Energy and persistence conquer all things.”- Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on actions speak louder than words quotes.
5. “Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.” – Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on wise sayings about life.
6. “Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.”― Benjamin Franklin
7. “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” – Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on opportunity quotes.
8. “Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.” – Benjamin Franklin
9. “Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.”― Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on learning quotes and sayings.
10. “When you are finished changing, you’re finished.”― Benjamin Franklin
Also, read these insightful quotes from John Locke for more enlightenment.
Benjamin Franklin quotes on education and learning
A study published in the journal Personality and Social Psychology Review found that people who are able to delay gratification and exercise self-control are more likely to achieve long-term success.
Benjamin Franklin’s quote, “Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today” highlights the importance of taking action and avoiding procrastination to achieve success.
11. “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”― Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on freedom quotes.
12. “Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.”― Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on the waterboy quotes.
13. “I didn’t fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.”― Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on lawyer quotes.
14. “An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” – Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on justice quotes.
15. “Genius without education is like silver in the mine.” – Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on planning quotes.
16. “Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.” – Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on perseverance quotes.
17. “The only thing that is more expensive than education is ignorance.” ― Benjamin Franklin
Benjamin Franklin quotes that enlighten
In a study by the Pew Research Center, 60% of Americans say they often seek out others with different political views to better understand their perspectives.
By including Benjamin Franklin quotes that encourage open-mindedness and critical thinking, readers may be more willing to seek out different viewpoints and engage in constructive discussions.
18. “Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship.” – Benjamin Franklin
19. “Tis a great confidence in a friend to tell him your faults; greater to tell him his.”― Benjamin Franklin
You will also enjoy our article on shadow quotes.
20. “Well done is better than well said.” – Benjamin Franklin
21. “Never confuse motion with action.”― Benjamin Franklin
22. “We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.” – Benjamin Franklin
23. “Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.”― Benjamin Franklin
24. “When you’re testing to see how deep water is, never use two feet.”― Ben Franklin
25. “To succeed, jump as quickly at opportunities as you do at conclusions.” – Benjamin Franklin
26. “To find out a girl’s faults, praise her to her girlfriends.”― Benjamin Franklin
27. “One today is worth two tomorrows.” – Benjamin Franklin
28. “A false friend and a shadow attend only while the sun shines.” ― Benjamin Franklin
29. “To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.” ― Benjamin Franklin
30. “Speak little, do much.” ― Benjamin Franklin
Don’t forget to also read these Alexander Hamilton quotes that remain true today.
Benjamin Franklin quotes of Freedom and Liberty
A study by the University of Pennsylvania found that reading inspirational quotes can lead to a positive mood and behavioral change.
By including Benjamin Franklin quotes that promote self-improvement and personal growth, readers may be inspired to make positive changes in their lives.
31. “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”― Benjamin Franklin
32. “Without freedom of thought, there can be no such thing as wisdom – and no such thing as public liberty without freedom of speech.” – Benjamin Franklin
33. “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin
34. “Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances.”― Benjamin Franklin
35. “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech.”― Benjamin Franklin
36. “If a man could have half of his wishes, he would double his troubles.” ― Benjamin Franklin
37. “Security without liberty is called prison.” ― Benjamin Franklin
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out these quotes by famous people about life, love and success.
Benjamin Franklin quotes to elevate your mind
According to a study by the University of Sussex, reading can reduce stress levels by up to 68%.
By including Benjamin Franklin quotes in an article, readers may be more likely to engage with the content and experience the stress-reducing benefits of reading.
38. “Fear not death for the sooner we die, the longer we shall be immortal.”― Benjamin Franklin
39. “Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.” – Benjamin Franklin
40. “In this world, nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes.” – Benjamin Franklin
41. “Life’s tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.” – Benjamin Franklin
42. “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”― Benjamin Franklin
43. “All mankind is divided into three classes: those that are immovable, those that are movable, and those that move. ” ― Benjamin Franklin
44. “For every minute spent in organizing, an hour is earned.” ― Benjamin Franklin
45. “You only have the right to pursue happiness; you have to catch it yourself.” ― Ben Franklin
46. “He that speaks much, is much mistaken.” ― Benjamin Franklin
47. “The best way to see faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” ― Benjamin Franklin
48. “He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals.” ― Benjamin Franklin
49. “Don’t cry over spilled milk” ― Ben Franklin
50. “Content makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor.” ― Benjamin Franklin
Also, check out these insightful Alexander the Great quotes from one of the greatest leaders in history.
Other inspirational Benjamin Franklin quotes
According to a survey by Forbes, the most successful and influential people in business and entrepreneurship often credit Benjamin Franklin as one of their greatest inspirations.
This highlights the enduring relevance and value of Franklin’s wisdom, particularly in the context of achieving success and prosperity.
51. “Wish not so much to live long as to live well.” ― Benjamin Franklin
52. “He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.”
― Benjamin Franklin
53. “Search others for their virtues, thy self for thy vices.” ― Benjamin Franklin
54. “The heart of a fool is in his mouth, but the mouth of a wise man is in his heart.” ― Benjamin Franklin
55. “What more valuable than Gold? Diamonds. Than Diamonds? Virtue.” ― Benjamin Franklin
If you’re enjoying this article, make sure to also check out these military quotes to honor our heroes.
56. “We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.”
― Benjamin Franklin
57. “What you seem to be, be really.” ― Benjamin Franklin
58. “If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing.”― Benjamin Franklin
59. “When you’re good to others, you’re best to yourself.” ― Benjamin Franklin
60. “We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!”― Benjamin Franklin
You might also like these Abigail Adams quotes about education, peace, and women’s rights.
Which of these Benjamin Franklin quotes was your favorite?
Benjamin Franklin lived a colorful life and left a strong legacy of scientific and political achievements.
As one of America’s most influential Founding Fathers, he has been honored on coinage, warships and the names of many towns, counties, educational institutions, and more.
A writer known for his wit and wisdom, Franklin was also a prolific inventor and scientist who was responsible for several inventions.
Hopefully, these quotes have inspired you to live your life to your full potential.
Did you enjoy these Benjamin Franklin quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
Tell us in the comment section below.
We would love to hear all about it.
December 21, 2019 at 11:28 AM
Recent debate and actions within the House of Representatives, frequently quoting Hamilton, gives relevance to the Franklin quote #22 “We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid”
December 3, 2019 at 4:42 PM
He seemed like a very cheerful but serious man. I enjoyed the whole list!
Nicholas S Mngutor
September 16, 2019 at 8:21 PM
facinated with the one he said content makes poor mens rich and discontent makes rich mens poor
July 4, 2019 at 7:22 AM
#26 really made me chuckle, as how true!! My daughter is expecting her first child and I am going to give her a book of quotes from Benjamin Franklin. What a good guide to help raise a child with the common sense and wisdom from this great man.