Good Friday Quotes that honor the day
November 21, 2022 4:28 AM EST
Our latest collection of Good Friday quotes will inspire and uplift you.
Good Friday is a Christian holiday that commemorates Jesus’ death on the cross.
Tell us which Good Friday quotes resonated most with you in the comment section below.
What are the benefits of reading these Good Friday quotes?
This time before Easter is a solemn day that most people observe by fasting or not eating meat.
These Good Friday quotes will help you answer a few questions:
- Why do we call it Good Friday?
- Is Good Friday a happy day or a sad one?
- What traditions and superstitions do people observe on Good Friday?
If you like this article, we suggest you explore our most popular quotes article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily encouragement.
Look through our complete collection of inspirational quotes here.
Good Friday Quotes and Sayings About Hope and Faith
1. “Christmas and Easter can be subjects for poetry, but Good Friday, like Auschwitz, cannot. The reality is so horrible it is not surprising that people should have found it a stumbling block to faith.” – W.H. Auden
You will also enjoy our article on Friday quotes.
2. “If Christ is God, He cannot sin, and if suffering was a sin in and by itself, He could not have suffered and died for us. However, since He took the most horrific death to redeem us, He showed us in fact that suffering and pain have great power.” – E.A Bucchianeri
3. “Easter is a time when God turned the inevitability of death into the invincibility of life.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
4. “Good Friday was when the Good was crucified but then on Easter, the Good arose back… So wait to realize that be it God or be it human the good never perishes it rises above.” ― Amit Abraham
5. “Our Lord has written the promise of the resurrection, not in books alone but in every leaf in springtime.” – Martin Luther
You will also enjoy our article on Dia de Los Muertos quotes.
6. “To holy people the very name of Jesus is a name to feed upon, a name to transport. His name can raise the dead and transfigure and beautify the living.” – John Henry Newman
7. “So shall we join the disciples of our Lord, keeping faith in Him in spite of the crucifixion, and making ready, by our loyalty to Him in the days of His darkness, for the time when we shall enter into His triumph in the days of His light.” – Philip Ledyard Cuyler
8. “Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die.” – John 11:25-26
9. “Christ has not only spoken to us by his life but has also spoken for us by his death.” – Soren Kierkegaard
10. “Death is the justification of all the ways of the Christian, the last end of all his sacrifices, the touch of the Great Master which completes the picture.” – Madame Anne Sophie Swetchine
11. “Good Friday is a day of hope. It is a day where we look forward to a brighter tomorrow. Many things have happened to change the course of our lives, but it has not shaken our faith.” – Rev Dr. Peola Hicks
12. “It was inevitable that Jesus Christ should be crucified. It was also inevitable that He should rise again.” – H. R. L. Sheppard
If you’re enjoy these quotes, you might also like our collection of Easter quotes to uplift and inspire hope.
Inspirational Good Friday Quotes About Solemn Reflection
13. “Mercy, peace, and love. May the grace and Lord surround and be with you on Good Friday.” – Anonymous
14. “God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son.” – John 3:16
15. “For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that, he is killed, he shall rise the third day.” – Mark 9:31
16. “Stoning prophets and erecting churches to their memory afterward has been the way of the world through the ages. Today we worship Christ, but the Christ in the flesh we crucified.” – Mahatma Gandhi
17. “No pain, no palm; no thorns, no throne; no gall, no glory; no cross, no crown.” – William Penn
18. “Jesus Christ founded an empire upon love, and at this hour millions of men would die for Him.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
19. “The word “Christianity” is already a misunderstanding – in reality, there has been only one Christian, and he died on the Cross.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
20. “The Cross was the manifestation of Divine love without reserve or limit, but it was also the expression of man’s unutterable malignity.” – Sir Robert Anderson
21. “By the cross, we, too, are crucified with Christ; but alive in Christ. We are no more rebels, but servants; no more servants, but sons!” – Frederic William Farrar
22. “Good Friday marks the slaying of our Jesus, the unblemished lamb, the perfect sacrifice. He took our guilt and blamed upon Himself.” – Anonymous
23. “Practice mercy and forgiveness throughout as a lesson that symbolizes the love shown through his crucifixion.” – Unarine Ramaru
24. “Good Friday and Easter free us to think about other things far beyond our own personal fate, about the ultimate meaning of all life, suffering, and events; and we lay hold of a great hope.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
25. “The lesson of Good Friday is to never lose hope or at least give it 48 hours.” – Robert Breault
You will also enjoy our article on happy Friday quotes.
Good Friday Quotes About Prayers and Well-Wishes
26. “May on this Good Friday, we start it with Fasting & Prayers so that we can bring God’s mercy & forgiveness on all mankind. Let’s pray together.” – Anonymous
27. “May the loving-kindness of the most high God be with you as you take the time to reverence his name this Good Friday.” – Anonymous
28. “We who are enlisted to be fellow-workers with God know that..death did not have the last word, that Good Friday was not the end of the story.” – Anonymous
29. “Good Friday is about to come. A great historical day which is celebrated as a liturgical & ceremonially prominent manner.” – Anonymous
30. “May the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. Have a positive hope on this Good Friday!” – Anonymous
31. “May the glory of our Savior strengthen you and may His graces shine upon you on Good Friday and always!” – Anonymous
32. “On this Good Friday may we never forget the true meaning of Easter – ‘For when He was on the cross, I was on His mind’.” – Anonymous
33. “Good Friday. Way of the Cross. Fasting and abstinence. Examine conscience. Have a really blessed day.” – Nevez Rhanny
Good Friday Quotes About Love and Humanity
34. “God proved his love on the cross. When Christ hung, and bled, and died, it was God saying to the world, ‘I LOVE YOU'” ― Billy Graham
35. “All of heaven is interested in the cross of Christ, hell afraid of it, while men are the only ones to ignore its meaning.” ― Oswald Chambers
36. “It is the resurrection that makes Good Friday good.” – Ravi Zacharias
37. “What is good about Good Friday? Why isn’t it called Bad Friday? Because out of the appallingly bad came what was inexpressibly good. And the good trumps the bad, because though the bad was temporary, the good is eternal.” – Randy Alcorn
38. “Good Friday is a day of sorrow mingled with joy. It is a time to grieve over the sin of man and to meditate and rejoice upon God’s love in giving His only Son for the redemption of sin.” – David Katski
39. “Unless there is a Good Friday in your life, there can be no Easter Sunday.” – Fulton Sheen
40. “Good Friday is the mirror held up by Jesus so that we can see ourselves in all our stark reality, and then it turns us to that cross and to his eyes and we hear these words, Father forgive them for they know not what they do. That’s us!” – Robert Trache
41. “Catholics often choose Good Friday-which is a day of fast-to strengthen their faith, to repent for their wrongdoings and to forgive those who have wronged them.” – Fr Alvito Fernandes
42. “Good Friday is not about us trying to get right with God. It is about us entering the difference between God and humanity and just touching it for a moment.” – Nadia Bolz-Weber
43. “Think of everything you’ve ever experienced that was painful; that’s the meaning of Good Friday. Think of all the ways that love ultimately healed your heart; that’s the meaning of Easter.” – Marianne Williamson
44. “The beauty of the cross and our crucified Lord cannot be easily fathomed by human mind or by barely reading scriptures in bits, but by careful reading of entire scripture in the spirit which will, in turn, engulf one with wisdom and love.” – Henrietta Newton Martin
45. “On the eve of the cross, Jesus made his decision. He would rather go to hell for you than go to heaven without you.” – Max Lucado
Good Friday Quotes About History and New Beginnings
46. “Our old history ends with the cross; our new history begins with the resurrection.” – Watchman Nee
47. “To holy people the very name of Jesus is a name to feed upon, a name to transport. His name can raise the dead and transfigure and beautify the living.” – John Henry Newman
48. “We may say that on the first Good Friday afternoon was completed that great act by which light conquered darkness and goodness conquered sin. That is the wonder of our Saviour’s crucifixion.” – Phillips Brooks
49. “It has been the cross which has revealed to good men that their goodness has not been good enough.” – Johann Hieronymus Schroder
50. “2,000 years ago one man got nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be if everyone was nice to each other for a change.” – Douglas Adams
What did you learn from these Good Friday quotes?
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Good Friday quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other favorite quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
If you found this article helpful, please share it with your friends on social media.