Marie Tharp Quotes From The Great Cartographer
November 28, 2022 6:29 AM EST
These Marie Tharp quotes will inspire you to follow your dreams despite what obstacles stand in your way.
Marie Tharp was an American scientist, geologist, and oceanographic cartographer.
Born to a German and Latin teacher mom and a soil surveyor dad on July 30, 1920, Tharp loved accompanying her dad on his field trips. This made her develop a love for mapmaking at an early age.
In her career, besides being one of the first women to work at the Lamont Geological Observatory, Marie is known for making one of the most famous maps of all time.
In collaboration with Bruce Heezen, they created and published the first complete world map of the ocean floors.
This discovery totally altered how people viewed the world before, and it helped confirm the previously controversial theory of plate tectonics, which states that continents shift over time.
What are the benefits of reading these Marie Tharp quotes?
Marie Tharp is one of the most iconic women to walk on the phase of the earth. She has taught us to stay on our path regardless of the obstacles we face.
Here is what you will gain by reading her quotes:
- you will get the motivation to follow your dreams
- they will teach you how to be courageous
- there will inspire you to stay true to yourself
- they will encourage you to pursue your passion
Enjoy these Marie Tharp quotes from one of the greatest cartographers of the 20th century.
Don’t forget also to read these Leonardo Da Vinci quotes about life and art.
Insightful Marie Tharp quotes
1. “I had a blank canvas to fill with extraordinary possibilities, a fascinating jigsaw puzzle to piece together. It was a once-in-a-lifetime — a once-in-the-history-of-the-world-opportunity for anyone, but especially for a woman in the 1940s.” – Marie Tharp
2. “I was so busy making maps I let them argue. I figured I’d show them a picture of where the rift valley was and where it pulled apart.”― Marie Tharp
3. “I worked in the background for most of my career as a scientist, but I have absolutely no resentments. I thought I was lucky to have a job that was so interesting.” – Marie Tharp
4. “I think our maps contributed to a revolution in geological thinking.” – Marie Tharp
5. “There’s truth in the old cliché that a picture is worth a thousand words and that seeing is believing.”― Marie Tharp
What did you learn from these Marie Tharp quotes?
Despite working in a male-dominated field, her courage, perseverance, and passion for exploring the earth saw her break all the barriers that were thrown at her to achieve world greatness.
Her scientific contributions to the understanding of the earth were profoundly important.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Marie Tharp quotes and sayings? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.