Our latest collection of Leonard Cohen quotes to inspire and motivate you.
I didn’t realize that Leonard Cohen was the original artist of one of my all-time favorite songs. If you are wondering which song he is best known for the answer is ‘Hallelujah!’
Leonard wrote this song back in 1984, but it wasn’t a big hit. However, John Cale recorded his version, which then inspired a version by Jeff Buckley. The song would end up being featured in a 2001 DreamWorks film that featured the world’s favorite green ogre… Shrek!
Many artists have recorded their own versions of the song, and it can sometimes be hard to pick who has the best version of ‘Hallelujah.’ For me, it’s between Pentatonix and Rufus Wainwright.
Leonard Cohen did a lot of other works during his time as a poet and a songwriter. I cover most of them in all these Leonard Cohen quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these Steven Furtick quotes that will illuminate your divine purpose.
Leonard Cohen quotes about love
1. “My reputation as a ladies’ man was a joke that caused me to laugh bitterly through the ten thousand nights I spent alone.” ― Leonard Cohen
2. “Love is the only engine of survival.” ― Leonard Cohen
3. “You live your life as if it’s real… a thousand kisses deep.” ― Leonard Cohen
4. “We are so lightly here. It is in love that we are made. In love, we disappear.” ― Leonard Cohen
5. “We are not mad. We are human. We want to love, and someone must forgive us for the paths we take to love, for the paths are many and dark, and we are ardent and cruel in our journey.” ― Leonard Cohen
6. “Dream after dream, we all lie in each other’s arms.” ― Leonard Cohen
7. “He let me be a student of a love that I will never be able to give.” ― Leonard Cohen
8. “Love is not a victory march; It’s a cold, and it’s a broken Hallelujah.” ― Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen quotes about life and poetry
9. “Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.” ― Leonard Cohen
10. “If you don’t become the ocean, you’ll be seasick every day.” ― Leonard Cohen
11. “There is a crack in everything. That’s how the light gets in.” ― Leonard Cohen
12. “The last refuge of the insomniac is a sense of superiority to the sleeping world.” ― Leonard Cohen
13. “How can I begin anything new with all of yesterday in me?” ― Leonard Cohen
14. “Children show scars like medals. Lovers use them as secrets to reveal. A scar is what happens when the word is made flesh.” ― Leonard Cohen
15. “Your body will never be familiar.” ― Leonard Cohen
16. “I cannot understand why my arm is not a lilac tree.” ― Leonard Cohen
17. “Deprivation is the mother of poetry.” ― Leonard Cohen
18. “I don’t want to be a star, merely dying.” ― Leonard Cohen
19. “But you don’t really care for music do ya?” ― Leonard Cohen
20. “We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky.” ― Leonard Cohen
Profound Leonard Cohen quotes
21. “I don’t consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin.” ― Leonard Cohen
22. “Avoid the flourish. Do not be afraid to be weak. Do not be ashamed to be tired. You look good when you’re tired. You look like you could go on forever. Now come into my arms. You are the image of my beauty.” ― Leonard Cohen
23. “Here’s to the few who forgive what you do, and the fewer who don’t even care.” ― Leonard Cohen
24. “It doesn’t matter what you do because it’s going to happen, anyway.” ― Leonard Cohen
25. “Act the way you’d like to be and soon you’ll be the way you act.” ― Leonard Cohen
26. “It’s hard to hold the hand of anyone who is reaching for the sky just to surrender.” ― Leonard Cohen
27. “It’s time that we began to laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again.” ― Leonard Cohen
28. “Ah, grief makes us precise!” ― Leonard Cohen
29. “Every soul is like a minnow. Every mind is like a shark.” ― Leonard Cohen
30. “I found that things became a lot easier when I no longer expected to win. You abandon your masterpiece and sink into the real masterpiece.” ― Leonard Cohen
31. “I was always working steady, but I never called it art.” ― Leonard Cohen
32. “There is a blaze of light in every word, it doesn’t matter which you heard.” ― Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen quotes about appearance and image
33. “As our eyes grow accustomed to sight, they armor themselves against wonder.” ― Leonard Cohen
34. “We are ugly, but we have the music.” ― Leonard Cohen
35. “I’m old and the mirrors don’t lie.” ― Leonard Cohen
36. “We’ve got to learn to love appearances.” ― Leonard Cohen
37. “Blessed be the covenant of love between what is hidden and what is revealed.” ― Leonard Cohen
38. “Even damnation is poisoned with rainbows.” ― Leonard Cohen
39. “She was made of flesh and eyelashes.” ― Leonard Cohen
40. “In our rags of light, all dressed to kill.” ― Leonard Cohen
41. “I am an old scholar, better-looking now than when I was young. That’s what sitting on your ass does to your face.” ― Leonard Cohen
42. “Forget the perfect offering. Everything is flawed.” ― Leonard Cohen
Funny Leonard Cohen quotes
43. “The older I get, the surer I am that I’m not running the show.” ― Leonard Cohen
44. “Do not be a magician – be magic!” ― Leonard Cohen
45. “Never make a decision when you need to pee.” ― Leonard Cohen
46. “My interest in this pack of failures betrays my character.” ― Leonard Cohen
47. “I don’t ask for information that I probably wouldn’t be able to process even if it were granted to me.” ― Leonard Cohen
48. “Reality is one of the possibilities I cannot afford to ignore.” ― Leonard Cohen
49. “It is easy to display a wound, the proud scars of combat. It is hard to show a pimple.” ― Leonard Cohen
50. “Nobody goes into a Zen monastery as a tourist.” ― Leonard Cohen
More Leonard Cohen quotes and sayings
51. “Don’t call yourself a secret unless you mean to keep it.” – Leonard Cohen
52. “When you’re not feeling holy, your loneliness says that you’ve sinned.” – Leonard Cohen
53. “If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn they will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem.” – Leonard Cohen
54. “One million candles burning for the help that never came.” – Leonard Cohen
55. “Let judges secretly despair of justice: their verdicts will be more acute. Let generals secretly despair of triumph; killing will be defamed. Let priests secretly despair of faith: their compassion will be true.” – Leonard Cohen
56. “A teacher I once had told me that the older you get, the lonelier you become and the deeper the love you need. Loneliness creates an appetite for deeper love, and the entire predicament deepens. And as a result of suffering, your capacity to love deeply increases.”- Leonard Cohen
57. “Don’t write about ideas … write about convictions of the heart.” – Leonard Cohen
58. “The truth of the line overwhelms all other considerations.” – Leonard Cohen
59. “Stunned and still not suffering. Swollen with care and anxiety and still not suffering. Useless, old and full of grief, but still not suffering.” – Leonard Cohen
60. “The Maestro says it’s Mozart but it sounds like bubble gum when you’re waiting for the miracle to come.” – Leonard Cohen
What did you learn from these Leonard Cohen quotes?
Leonard Cohen was yet another talented Canadian artist. Cohen didn’t write ‘Hallelujah’ until the 80s, but he had been writing and publishing novels and poetry since the 50s.
In fact, his first poems were published in a magazine in 1954. Two of his later books of poetry didn’t sell many copies, so Cohen turned his attention to songwriting.
His style of songs is best described as Folklore and Soft Rock. He believed his best work was his song ‘Suzanne,’ which he wrote about his relationship with dancer Suzanne Verdal. The song is an emotional and sensual journey.
Cohen had a career based on so many lovely words, and if you have a moment, you should go check out some of his music.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Leonard Cohen quotes and lines? What’s your favorite song or poem by Leonard Cohen? Let us know in the comments section below!
February 26, 2021 6:00 AM EST