Quotes about losing a loved one might be exactly what you need in your time of loss and suffering.
Let us know which of these quotes resonated with you the most in the comment section below.
You may also enjoy our article on:
What are the benefits of reading these quotes about losing a loved one?
Losing a loved one is never easy, but hopefully, these meaningful words can help you.
- Help you move past your hurt to celebrate the life that’s recently been lost
- Remind you that you are not alone in your pain
- Bring you some comfort and perspective
- Help you find the words to offer your condolences
Sadly, losing a loved one is a universal pain we have all felt or will feel at some point.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our inspirational quotes category page for more inspirational life quotes.
Powerful Quotes About Losing a Loved One and Coping
1. “All deaths are sudden, no matter how gradual the dying may be.”
― Michael McDowell
You will also enjoy our article on memorial quotes.
2. “Those we love never truly leave us. There are things that death cannot touch.” ― Jack Thorne
You will also enjoy our article on loss of a father quotes.
3. “What we have once enjoyed we can never lose; all that we deeply love becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
You will also enjoy our article on bad relationship quotes.
4. “Remember that people are only guests in your story – the same way you are only a guest in theirs – so make the chapters worth reading.” ― Lauren Klarfeld
You will also enjoy our article on pet loss quotes.
5. “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” ― Thomas Campbell
You will also enjoy our article on funeral quotes.
6. “When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of memory quotes that will help remind you how far you’ve come and motivate you to keep moving forward.
You will also enjoy our article on sympathy quotes and sayings.
7. “We understand death only after it has placed its hands on someone we love.”– Anne L. de Stael
You will also enjoy our article on spiritual quotes.
8. “For life and death are one, even as the river and the sea are one.”– Kahlil Gibran
You will also enjoy our article on I’m sorry quote.
9. “Death – the last sleep? No, it is the final awakening.”– Sir Walter Scott
You will also enjoy our article on cousin quotes.
10. “The sorrow we feel when we lose a loved one is the price we pay to have had them in our lives.” ― Rob Liano
You will also enjoy our article on quotes about death.
It is one of the worst things a person can experience in life.
Though death happens a lot in life, it’s still hard to deal with.
Getting through the loss of a loved one takes time and everyone’s journey to healing is unique.
Everyone is different and sometimes the journey can seem more than we can bear.
When this happens, we should remember to be grateful for the time we spent with our loved ones and know that they’re in a better place.
Even though losing a loved one is never easy, the right support and guidance can help you get through it.
Life must continue, and you will grow from the loss and learn to live with it.
Here are some uplifting, sympathetic, and inspirational quotes about losing a loved one to help you cope.
You will also enjoy our article on broken heart quotes.
Quotes about losing a loved one to help us move on
11. “We never truly get over a loss, but we can move forward and evolve from it.”—Elizabeth Berrien
You will also enjoy our article on goodbye quotes.
12. “When he died, all things soft and beautiful and bright would be buried with him.” ― Madeline Miller
You will also enjoy our article on good man quotes.
13. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
You will also enjoy our article on angel quotes.
14. “Lucky is the spouse who dies first, who never has to know what survivors endure.” —Sue Grafton
You will also enjoy our article on bird quotes.
15. “They that love beyond the world cannot be separated by it.
For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.
Death cannot kill what never dies.” – William Penn
You will also enjoy our article on Kahlil Gibran quotes.
16. “Seeing death as the end of life is like seeing the horizon as the end of the ocean.” – David Searls
You will also enjoy our article on One Piece quotes.
17. “The only way to get over a death is by seeing it as a life completed, instead of a life interrupted.” ― Anonymous
You will also enjoy our article on walk away quotes.
18. “The death of a beloved is an amputation.”—C. S. Lewis
You will also enjoy our article on healing quotes.
19. “The dead never truly die. They simply change form.” ― Suzy Kassem
You will also enjoy our article on Iron Man quotes.
20. “Death is tough for the people left behind on earth.” ― Prateeksha Malik
You might also like these rest in peace quotes to help you grieve.
Quotes about losing a loved one to reflect on how much we miss them
21. “I love you every day. And now I will miss you every day.” ― Mitch Albom (see these “I miss you” quotes)
You will also enjoy our article on sister-in-law quotes.
22. “Unable are the loved to die. For love is immortality.”—Emily Dickinson
You will also enjoy our article on soulmate quotes.
23. “Love is stronger than death even though it can’t stop death from happening, but no matter how hard death tries it can’t separate people from love. It can’t take away our memories either. In the end, life is stronger than death.”—Anonymous
You will also enjoy our article on missing friends quotes.
24. “We shall find peace. We shall hear angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds.” —Anyon Chekov
You will also enjoy our article on feeling lost quotes.
25. Come back. Even as a shadow, even as a dream.—Euripides
You will also enjoy our article on good deeds quotes.
26. “Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us every day.
Unseen, unheard, but always near; still loved, still missed and very dear.” – Anonymous
You will also enjoy our article on getting over someone quotes.
27. “Deep down inside we always seek for our departed loved ones” ― Munia Khan
You will also enjoy our article on butterfly quotes.
28. “There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are messengers of overwhelming grief…and unspeakable love.”– Washington Irving
You will also enjoy our article on peace quotes.
29. Those we love and lose are always connected by heartstrings into infinity. – Terri Guillemets
You will also enjoy our article on chinese proverbs.
30. “There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery.”– Dante
Don’t forget to also read these missing someone quotes to make your feelings known.
Quotes about losing a loved one to make us feel better
31. “For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.”—William Penn
You will also enjoy our article on anchor quotes.
32. “Death” is never an end, but a To Be Continued…” ― Renée Chae
You will also enjoy our article on After Life quotes.
33. “Your end, which is endless, is as a snowflake dissolving in the pure air.” – Zen Teaching
34. “Remember me with smiles and laughter, for that is how I will remember you all. If you can only remember me with tears, then don’t remember me at all.”– Laura Ingles Wilder
35. “The tragedy of life is in what dies inside a man while he lives.”– Norman Cousins
36. “Because death is the only thing that could have ever kept him from you.” ― Ally Carter
37. “May you find the strength and resolve today, to allow a deeper sense of healing to begin.” – Eleesha
38. “All of us have parents. Generations pass. We are not unique. Now it is our family’s turn.” ― Ralph Webster
39. “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.”– George S. Patton Jr.
40. “If you ever lose someone dear to you, never say the words they’re gone. They’ll come back.” ― Prince
You might also like these heart touching quotes celebrating love and life.
Quotes about losing a loved one to lift your spirits
41. “The whole world can become the enemy when you lose what you love.”—Kristina McMorris
42. “Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something, and has lost something.” – Jackson Brown Jr.
43. “The mightiest power of death is not that it can make people die, but that it can make the people you left behind want to stop living.”― Fredrik Backman
44. “And yet I want to be human; I want to be thinking of him because then I feel he is alive somewhere, if only in my head.”― Sally Green
45. “At the blueness of the skies and in the warmth of summer, we remember them.” – Sylvan Kamens & Rabbi Jack Reimer
46. “After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” – Albus Dumbledore
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Dumbledore quotes on love, life, integrity and socks.
47. “The sun can break through the darkest cloud; love can brighten the gloomiest day.”— William Arthur Ward
48. “The very worst part of grief is that you can’t control it. The best we can do is try to let ourselves feel it when it comes. And let it go when we can.”— Grey’s Anatomy
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Grey’s Anatomy quotes on happiness, success and empowerment.
49. “Everyone for whom I would have cried has already died.” ― Kathryn Orzech
50. “Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome.” – Isaac Asimov
Quotes about losing a loved one to make you strong
51. “Death wasn’t a movie where the pretty star faded away with a touch of pale makeup and every hair in place.” ― Soheir Khashoggi
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of makeup quotes about the power of looking good.
52. “In the memory of someone who touched so many lives and brought such happiness. May they rest in peace.” – Unknown
53. “His death brings new experience to my life – that of a wound that will not heal.” ― Ernst Jünger
54. “Time they said… Time will heal all wounds but they lied…” ― Tilicia Haridat
55. “Never take life for granted. Savor every sunrise, because no one is promised tomorrow…or even the rest of today.” ― Eleanor Brown
56. “If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them.”—James O’Barr
57. “Remembering the life of my dearest friend and the times we shared together. You are missed like no one else and I hope you’re in heaven watching down on us.” – Unknown
58. “Death had touched her, hurt her, and left her to deal with its disagreeable aftermath.” ― Zoe Forward
59. “It’s more like she left some of herself behind in the walls and the floors and the books, like there’s something she wants to tell me.” ― Marie Bostwick
60. “The Lord gives a good many things twice over, but he don’t give ye a mother but once.” ― Harriet Beecher Stowe
You might also like these helpful death quotes on the ways we grieve.
Quotes about losing a loved one to help you cope
61. “I don’t think of all the misery, but of all the beauty that remains.”- Anne Frank
62. “I should know enough about loss to realize that you never really stop missing someone-you just learn to live around the huge gaping hole of their absence.” – Alyson Noel
63. “When we lose someone we love we must learn not to live without them, but to live with the love they left behind.” – Anonymous
64. “To have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.” — J.K. Rowling
65. “Never. We never lose our loved ones. They accompany us; they don’t disappear from our lives. We are merely in different rooms.” – Paulo Coelho
66. “Tears shed for another person are not a sign of weakness. They are a sign of a pure heart.” – José N. Harris
67. “If I can see pain in your eyes then share with me your tears. If I can see joy in your eyes then share with me your smile.” – Santosh Kalwar
You might also like these pain quotes will help you channel your warrior within.
68. “I can’t and won’t forget all you did for me. The memories of you will never fade.” – Unknown
69. “The risk of love is loss, and the price of loss is grief – But the pain of grief is only a shadow when compared with the pain of never risking love.” – Hilary Stanton Zunin
70. “When I saw your strand of hair I knew that grief is love turned into an eternal missing.”― Rosamund Lupton
Quotes about losing a loved one to lift your mood
71. “We need to grieve the ones we have loved and lost in this lifetime — not to sustain our connection to suffering, but to sustain our connection to love.” – J. W.
72. “Wherever a beautiful soul has been there is a trail of beautiful memories.” – Ronald Reagan
73. “What we have once enjoyed deeply we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.” – Helen Keller
74. “I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
75. “Loss is nothing else but change, and change is nature’s delight.” – Marcus Aurelius
76. “Loss can remind us that life itself is a gift.” – Louise Hay and David Kessler
77. “Grief is the price we pay for love.” – Queen Elizabeth II
78. “What they never tell you about grief is that missing someone is the simple part.”― Gail Caldwell
79. “The pain passes, but the beauty remains.” – Pierre Auguste Renoir
80. “Grief, no matter how you try to cater to its wail, has a way of fading away.”― V.C. Andrews
Don’t forget to also read these I miss you quotes to fill that loneliness in your heart.
Sympathetic quotes about losing a loved one
81. “The Remembrance of the good done those we have loved is the only consolation when we have lost them.” – Demoustier
82. “What is lovely never dies, but passes into another loveliness, Star-dust or sea-foam, Flower or winged air.” – Thomas Bailey Aldrich
83. “And then I heard the angel say, ‘She’s with you every day.’” – Unknown
84. “Like a bird singing in the rain, let grateful memories survive in time of sorrow.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
85. “Once upon a memory someone wiped away a tear, held me close and loved me, Thank you, dear.” – Unknown
86. “Perhaps they are not stars in the sky but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy.” – Unknown
87. “Your legacy lives on in us, your loving family.” – Unknown
88. “Memories… let them fill your mind, warm your heart, and lead you through.” – Unknown
89. “Our joys will be greater, our love will be deeper, our life will be fuller because we shared your moment.” – Unknown
90. “The loss is unmeasurable but so is the love left behind.” – Unknown
Quotes about losing a loved one to help make you feel better
91. “You can’t truly heal from a loss until you allow yourself to really FEEL the loss.” – Mandy Hale
92. “Only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint your footprints have left on our hearts.” – Dorothy Ferguson
93. “The sun, the moon, the wind, the stars, will forever be around, reminding you of the love you shared, and the peace she’s finally found.” – Unknown
94. “He spoke well who said that graves are the footprints of angels.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
95. “Say not in grief ‘he is no more’ but in thankfulness that he was.” – Hebrew Proverb
96. “A great soul serves everyone all the time. A great soul never dies. It brings us together again and again.” – Maya Angelou
97. “Those we have held in our arms for a short while we hold in our hearts forever.” – Unknown
98. “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
99. “Do not think of me as gone. I am with you still in each new dawn.” – Native American Poem
100. “When you lose someone you love, you gain an angel you know.” – Unknown
Quotes about losing a loved one to make you stronger
101. “He loved and was loved. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I – I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.” – Robert Frost
102. “Though lovers be lost, love shall not; And death shall have no dominion.” – Dylan Thomas
103. “If you have a sister and she dies, do you stop saying you have one? Or are you always a sister, even when the other half of the equation is gone?” – Jodi Picoult
104. “You cannot stop the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can stop them nesting in your hair.” – Eva Ibbotson
105. “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.” – Rumi
106. “Loss is only temporary when you believe in God!” – Latoya Alston
107. “Everyone copes differently, some cry for the loss of a loved one others smile because they know they’ll see them again.” – Unknown
108. “There are memories that time does not erase… Forever does not make loss forgettable, only bearable.” – Cassandra Clare
109. “When we lose one we love, our bitterest tears are called forth by the memory of hours when we loved not enough.” – Maurice Maeterlinck
110. “The heaviness of loss in her heart hadn’t eased, but there was room there for humor, too.” – Nalo Hopkinson
Quotes about losing a loved one to inspire healing
111. “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.” – From a headstone in Ireland
112. “Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts.” – Charles Dickens
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of wise Charles Dickens quotes on self-worth, love, and more.
113. “In the night of death, hope sees a star, and listening love can hear the rustle of a wing.” – Robert Ingersoll
114. “I know now that we never get over great losses; we absorb them, and they carve us into different, often kinder, creatures.” – Gail Caldwell
115. “You don’t know who is important to you until you actually lose them.” – Mahatma Gandhi
116. “Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things.” –
117. “While we are mourning the loss of our friend, others are rejoicing to meet him behind the veil.” – John Taylor
118. “As long as there is love and memory, there is no true loss.” –
119. “Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.” – Eskimo Proverb
120. “The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost.” –
Thoughtful quotes about losing a loved one
121. “As long as we live, they too will live, for they are now a part of us, as We remember them.” – Proverb
122. “You don’t know how easy death is. It’s like a door. A person simply walks through it, and she’s lost to you forever.” – Eloisa James
123. “All things grow with time, except grief.” —Jewish proverb
124. “The song has ended but the melody lingers on.” – Irving Berlin
125. “I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories.”—Leo Buscaglia
126. “Losing people you love affects you. It is buried inside of you and becomes this big, deep hole of ache. It doesn’t magically go away, even when you stop officially mourning.” – Carrie Jones
127. “Grief and love are conjoined, you don’t get one without the other.”—Jandy Nelson
128. “For some moments in life there are no words.” – David Seltzer
129. “How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”—A.A. Milne
130. “When you lose what you love remember to stay strong. Look out the window and remember life goes on.” – Drew Chadwick
Quotes about losing a loved one to help with grief
131. “The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not ‘get over’ the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same nor would you want to.” — Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
132. “If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart, I’ll stay there forever.” — Winnie the Pooh
133. “In the garden of memory, in the palace of dreams…that is where you and I shall meet.” — Alice Through the Looking Glass
134. “There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone the light remains.” — Unknown
135. “What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes part of us.” — Helen Keller
136. “Death is a challenge. It tells us not to waste time. It tell us to tell each other right now that we love each other.” — Leo Buscaglia
137. “Grief is love not wanting to let go.” – Earl A. Grollman
138. “Life seems sometimes like nothing more than a series of losses, from beginning to end. That’s the given. How you respond to those losses, what you make of what’s left, that’s the part you have to make up as you go.” ― Katharine Weber
139. “Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted.” — Matthew 5:4
140. “Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep your heart open through everything, your pain can become your greatest ally in your life’s search for love and wisdom.” – Rumi
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Rumi quotes from the iconic poet.
Quotes about losing a loved one to encourage you
141. “For in grief nothing ‘stays put.’ One keeps on emerging from a phase, but it always recurs. Round and round. Everything repeats.” — C.S. Lewis
142. “The deep pain that is felt at the death of every friendly soul arises from the feeling that there is in every individual something which is inexpressible, peculiar to him alone, and is, therefore, absolutely and irretrievably lost.” — Arthur Schopenhauer
143. “How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts.” – Dorothy Ferguson
144. “And when great souls die, after a period peace blooms, slowly and always irregularly. Spaces fill with a kind of soothing electric vibration. Our senses, restored, never to be the same, whisper to us. They existed. They existed. We can be. Be and be better. For they existed.” — Maya Angelou
145. “Give sorrow words. The grief that does not speak whispers the o’er-fraught heart and bids it break.” — Shakespeare
146. “Every love is carved from loss. Mine was. Yours is. Your great-great-great-grandchildren’s will be. But we learn to live in that love.” — Jonathan Safran Foer
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of loving grandchildren quotes to spark joy.
147. “What do you say? There really are no words for that. There really aren’t. Somebody tries to say, ‘I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.’ People say that to me. There’s no language for it. Sorry doesn’t do it. I think you should just hug people and mop their floor or something.” — Toni Morrison
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of hug quotes for everyone who needs one.
148. “Grief is like the ocean, it comes in waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim.” – Vicki Harrison
149. “While grief is fresh, every attempt to divert only irritates. You must wait till it be digested, and then amusement will dissipate the remains of it.” — Samuel Johnson
150. “In life, we loved you dearly, in death we love you still. In our hearts you hold a place, no one else will ever fill.” – Unknown
Quotes about losing a loved one to help you cope with grief
151. “When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.”– Kahlil Gibran
152. “When someone is grieving, you don’t have to say anything. Just be present. Be nonjudgmental. Let them cry, scream, or sit in silence. You don’t have to fix them.” – Dana Arcuri
153. “Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” – Arthur Golden
154. “Someday you’re gonna look back on this moment of your life as such a sweet time of grieving. You’ll see that you were in mourning and your heart was broken, but your life was changing.” – Elizabeth Gilbert
155. “I thought I could describe a state; make a map of sorrow. Sorrow, however, turns out to be not a state but a process.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
156. “Grief is the last act of love we can give to those we loved. Where there is deep grief, there was great love.” – Anonymous
157. “Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell.” – William Penn
158. “Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith…It is the price of love.” – Anonymous
159. “Without you in my arms, I feel an emptiness in my soul. I find myself searching the crowds for your face—I know it’s an impossibility, but I cannot help myself.” – Patrick Swayze
160. “One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: that word is love.” – Sophocles
Comforting quotes about losing a loved one
161. “When one person is missing the whole world seems empty.” –
162. “Everything feels so surreal when you are gone. Oh, if only you knew the things I’d do just to be able to see you once more.” – Unknown
163. “We all have an old knot in the heart we wish to untie.” –
164. “Losing a loved one is painful, but losing someone like you is even worse, as you are the most loved of all. Should you return to our side, please stay longer this time, okay?” – Unknown
165. “It’s always hard to lose somebody. It leaves a hole in your heart that never grows back.” – Kevin Brooks
166. “How frighteningly few are the persons whose death would spoil our appetite and make the world seem empty.” — Eric Hoffer
167. “Tears are words the mouth can’t say nor can the heart bear.” –
168. “With deeper attachment, we usually have deeper grieving, and usually longer grieving.” — Ron Johnson
169. “Now something so sad has hold of us that the breath leaves and we can’t even cry.” – Charles Bukowski
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Charles Bukowski quotes to help you see life from a brand new perspective.
170. “You don’t go around grieving all the time, but the grief is still there and always will be.” — Nigella Lawson
Profound quotes about losing a loved one
171. “If you have ever lost a loved one, then you know exactly how it feels. And if you have not, then you cannot possibly imagine it.” – Lemony Snicket
172. “When you were gone, it felt as if we lost a part of our own body. It was as if you took us along with you, with all the pain of losing someone we never thought we’d lose.” – Unknown
173. “Life is full of grief, to exactly the degree we allow ourselves to love other people.” – Orson Scott Card
174. “Here is one of the worst things about having someone you love die: It happens again every single morning.” — Anna Quindlen
175. “Chase away sorrow by living.” – Melissa Marr
176. “If we try to avoid loss and grief, we will never truly love.” — Megan Devine
177. “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive. Never surrender.” – Tupac Shakur
178. “There is nothing wrong with grief. It’s a natural extension of love. It’s a healthy and sane response to loss.” — Megan Devine
179. “The mourning process can feel like going through a carwash without a car.” – Jodi Livon
180. “Grief can be a burden, but also an anchor. You get used to the weight, how it holds you in place.” — Sarah Dessen
Quotes about losing a loved one to help with healing
181. “What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls a butterfly.”—Richard Bach
182. “If it were possible to heal sorrow by weeping and to raise the dead with tears, gold were less prized than grief.”—Sophocles
183. “There is no death. Only a change of worlds.”—Chief Seattle
184. “Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals.”—Leo Tolstoy
185. “It is not length of life, but depth of life.”—Ralph Waldo Emerson
186. “Life is eternal, and love is immortal, and death is only a horizon; and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.”—Rossiter W. Raymond
187. “Tears are God’s gift to us. Our holy water. They heal us as they flow.”—Rita Schiano
188. “There is a land of the living and a land of the dead and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning.”—Thornton Wilder
189. “Truly, it is in the darkness that one finds the light, so when we are in sorrow, then this light is nearest of all to us.”—Meister Eckhart
190. “With sympathy, thinking of you at this sad time and sending love.” – Unknown
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of sad love quotes to help you deal with difficult emotions.
Quotes about grief and losing a loved one
191. “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass; it’s about learning to dance in the rain.”
192. “He that lacks time to mourn, lacks time to mend.”—Sir Henry Taylor
193. “The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before. That’s the deal.”—C.S. Lewis
194. “Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak knits up the o’er wrought heart and bids it break.”—William Shakespeare
195. “My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today.”—Richard Adams
196. “Oh heart, if one should say to you that the soul perishes like the body, answer that the flower withers, but the seed remains.”—Kahlil Gibran
197. “There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief.”—Aeschylus
198. “Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us everyday.” – Unknown
199. “Do not cry because they are past! Smile, because they once were!”—Ludwig Jacobowski
200. “Gone is the face we loved so dear. Silent is the voice we loved to hear. Too far away for sight or speech. But not too far for thought to reach.” – Unknown
Quotes about losing someone you love
201. “Your absence walks through the door every single day.” – Helen Lyon
202. Like my strong body would miss my heart beating loud, I miss you Brother.” – Michele Mellen
203. “The loss of my father was the most traumatic event in my life – I can’t forget the pain.” – Frank Lowry
204. “All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on.” – Havelock Ellis
205. “Should you shield the valleys from the windstorms, you would never see the beauty of their canyons.” – Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
206. Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?” – Terry Pratchett
207. “Your life was a blessing, your memory a treasure. You are loved beyond words and missed beyond measure.” – Renee Wood
208. “If you see a sunset, it’s me, smiling from behind it. If I go away far, and you see a star, if you find it, I’m inside it.” – Anna Williams
209. “I still don’t know how to look at my life without an inescapable absence of you.” – Chloe Frayne
210. “I’ll be seeing you, in all the old familiar places, that this heart of mine embraces, all day through.” – Billie Holiday
Quotes about losing a loved one to help you feel lighter
211. “Walk on, walk on with hope in your heart and you’ll never walk alone.” – Rodgers and Hammerstein
212. “The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.” – Khalil Gibran
213. “When we have joy we crave to share; We remember them.” – Sylvan Kamens & Rabbi Jack Riemer
214. “It takes strength to make your way through grief, to grab hold of life and let it pull you forward.” – Patti Davis
215. “You gave me a forever within the numbered days…” – John Green, The Fault In Our Stars
216. “Well, everyone can master a grief but he that has it.” – William Shakespeare
217. “No one ever told me that grief felt so like fear.” – C.S. Lewis
218. “Sometimes, only one person is missing, and the whole world seems depopulated.” – Alphonse de Lamartine
219. “When a child dies, you bury the child in your heart.” – Korean Proverb
220. “Her absence is like the sky, spread over everything.” – C.S. Lewis
Quotes about losing a loved one to help you feel less alone
221. “You left me boundaries of pain
Capacious as the sea,
Between eternity and time,
Your consciousness and me.” – Emily Dickinson
222. “Why does it take a minute to say hello and forever to say goodbye?” – Unknown
223. “Life is not lost by dying; life is lost minute by minute, day by dragging day, in all the thousand small uncaring ways.” – Stephen Vincent Benet
224. “Who except the gods can live without any pain?” – Aeschylus
225. “Losing someone when you’re young is the greatest pain anyone can face.” – Amory Blaine
226. “The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
227. ” . . . grief makes one hour ten.” – William Shakespeare
228. “Every man dies. Not every man really lives.” – William Ross Wallace
229. “Grief can’t be shared. Everyone carries it alone. His own burden in his own way.” – Anne Morrow
230. “Absence and death are the same, only that in death there is no suffering.” – Theodore Roosevelt
Death and grief quotes about losing a loved one
231. “Grief is just love with no place to go.” — Jamie Anderson
232. “It’s so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.” — John Steinbeck
233. “Absence is a house so vast that inside you will pass through its walls and hang pictures on the air.” ― Pablo Neruda
234. “Here’s what I know: death abducts the dying, but grief steals from those left behind.” ― Katherine Owen
235. “Grieving doesn’t make you imperfect. It makes you human.” ― Sarah Dessen
236. “When it is darkest, we can see the stars.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
237. “I am because you were.” — Unknown
238. “Sorrow is so easy to express and yet so hard to tell.” — Joni Mitchell
239. “It’s hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember.” — Unknown
240. “Although it’s difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.” — Unknown
Uplifting and comforting quotes about losing a loved one
241. “Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not, and oftentimes we call a man cold, when he is only sad.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
242. “I should like my epitaph to say, ‘He helped people see God in the ordinary things of life, and he made children laugh.’”– Reverend W. Awdry
243. “She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible. She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings.”– Ariana Dancu
244. “Sometimes the strong die, too.”– Louis Gosset Jr.
245. “Losing a mother doesn’t happen in a moment. It takes years to appreciate the impact of what’s gone.”– Lisa-Jo Baker
246. “Once the glue of the family passes away, holidays just aren’t the same anymore.”– Anonymous
247. “The best lessons, the best sermons are those that are lived.”– Yolanda King
248. “The measure of a man is in the lives he’s touched.”– Erin Banks
249. “He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much.”– Bessie Anderson Stanley
250. “I will not hide my grief, as I did not hide my love.”– Anonymous
More quotes about losing a loved one
251. “After you have wept and grieved for your physical losses, cherish the functions and life you have left.” —Morrie Schwartz
252. “The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you’ll learn to live with it.” —Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
253. “We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.”—Kenji Miyazawa
254. “All you need is one safe anchor to keep you grounded when the rest of your life spins out of control.” —Katie Kacvinsky
255. “Say not in grief that they are gone, but give thanks that they were yours.”—Hebrew Proverb
256. “It’s not about getting over it it’s about learning to live with it.” — After Chloe
257. “Don’t be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.” —Richard Bach
258. “Healing takes time and you are doing the best you can and that is perfect.” – Unknown
259. “Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer a great sorrow, but this same necessity of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals them.” —Leo Tolstoy
260. “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” — Mitch Albom
Quotes about losing a father
261. “To lose your father is to lose the one whose guidance and help you seek, who supports you like a tree trunk supports its branches.” – Yann Martel
262. “The gift my father gave me every day of my life was he believed in me.” – Jim Valvano
263. “In losing him I lost my greatest blessing and comfort, for he was always that to me.” – Saint Teresa of Ávila
264. “Of course, losing my father was traumatic. I was an only child. But from the time my father died, my general theme in life has been to turn adversity into opportunity.” – Thomas G. Stemberg
265. “Old as she was, she still missed her daddy sometimes.” – Gloria Naylor
266. “It was a portion of my own self-analysis, my reaction to my father’s death—that is to say, to the most important event, the most poignant loss of a man’s life.” – Sigmund Freud
267. “Let me tell you, he is the hole in my heart. His loss is my scar. But let me tell you something, his memory drives me forward every single day of my life.” – Michelle Obama
268. “My father was always there for me when I lost. But, then, I never really lost when my father was there.” – Laurie Beth Jones
269. “You see, my father taught me that even our most profound losses are survivable. And that is — it is what we do with that loss — our ability to transform it into a positive event —that is one of my father’s greatest lessons.” – Ted Kennedy Jr.
270. “Every day of our lives, our Father is with us. Every day our Father is here with us spiritually anyway.” – Ziggy Marley
More Quotes about Grief
271. “You cannot stop loving your friend because he’s dead, especially if he was better than anyone alive, you know?” – Jerome Salinger
272. “No matter how prepared you think you are for the death of a loved one, it still comes as a shock, and it still hurts very deeply” – Billy Graham
273. “Grief is in two parts. The first is loss. The second is the remaking of life”
274. “He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present than the living man” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
275. “The comfort of having a friend may be taken away, but not that of having had one” – Seneca
276. “No matter where you go you will always be in my heart.” – Anthony T. Hincks
277. “The pain of missing you is a beautiful reminder of the joy of loving you” – Dean Jackson
278. “Remembering our loved ones is breathing life into their fading images, that we might once more see their faces and pass along a tearful “I miss you” – Richelle E. Goodrich
279. “Grief is like a moving river, so that’s what I mean by it’s always changing. It’s a strange thing to say because I’m at heart an optimistic person, but I would say in some ways it just gets worse. It’s just that the more time that passes, the more you miss someone” – Michelle Williams
280. “Grief is like mending a knee. You can mend the knee and make it function, but the knee never actually heals” – Jason Reynolds
Quotes about losing a loved one to make you feel better
281. “Grief is itself a medicine.” – William Cowper
282. “There’s a bit of magic in everything, and some loss to even things out.” –
Lou Reed, ‘Magic And Loss’
283. “Memory is a way of holding on to the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose.” – The Wonder Years
284. “Tears are the silent language of grief.” – Voltaire
285. “The risk of love is loss, and the price of loss is grief – But the pain of grief is only a shadow when compared with the pain of never risking love.” – Hillary Stanton Zunin
286. “Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind.” – Marcel Proust
287. “You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair.” – Old Chinese proverb
288. “Grief can’t be shared. Everyone carries it alone; his own burden in his own way.” –
Anne Morrow Lindbergh
289. “Grief is not a disorder, a disease or a sign of weakness. It is an emotional, physical and spiritual necessity, the price you pay for love. The only cure for grief is to grieve.” – Earl Grollman
290. “Given a choice between grief and nothing, I’d choose grief.” – William Faulkner
Quotes About Losing A Loved One To Help You In Grief
291. “I still loved Granny. It flowed out of my chest. With Granny gone, where would my love go?” ― Jessica Maria Tuccelli,
292. “Love doesn’t die with death. Love is like liquid; when it pours out, it seeps into others’ lives. Love changes form and shape.” ― Kate O’Neill
293. “I have been made to protect you. Even in death, I will find a way.” ― Leigh Bardugo
294. “It hurts when they’re gone. And it doesn’t matter if it’s slow or fast, whether it’s a long drawn-out disease or an unexpected accident.” ― Walter Mosley
295. “Closed eyes, heart not beating, but a living love.” ― Avis Corea
296. “Love is the vital core of the soul. And of all you see, only love is infinite.” — Rumi
297. “On the death of a friend, we should consider that the fates through confidence have devolved on us the task of a double living, that we have henceforth to fulfill the promise of our friend’s life also, in our own, to the world.” ― Henry David Thoreau
298. “Sadly enough, the most painful goodbyes are the ones that are left unsaid and never explained.” ― Jonathan Harnisch
299. “I cannot say, and I will not say That he is dead. He is just away” ― James Whitcomb Riley
300. “True love never dies for it is lust that fades away. Love bonds for a lifetime but lust just pushes away.” — Alicia Barnhart
Quotes About Loosing A Loved One To Overcome Grief
301. “The highest tribute to the dead is not grief but gratitude.” — Thornton Wilder
302. “Those we love don’t go away, they sit beside us every day.” — Liane Moriarty
303. “‘Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” — Alfred Lord Tennyson
304. “Every second of everyday I still love them, and I won’t believe they are dead until I see it for myself.” ― Shannon A. Thompson
305. “Everyone dies but not everyone lives.” — William Wallace
306. “Begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it were the only one we had.” — Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
307. “Those who walk uprightly enter into peace; they find rest as they lie in death.” — Isaiah
308. “You would know the secret of death. But how shall you find it unless you seek it in the heart of life.” — Khalil Gibran
309. “When the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance.” — Khalil Gibran
310. “[after the death of a loved one] It is when there is nothing more to be done that the reality of the loss often hits with full force.” — Judith Martin
Short quotes about losing a loved one
311. “He was dead. No trace of pain, no sufferings, no victimization.”― Prerna Varma
312. “Time is life. Time for birth, time for death.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
313. “Death never pierces the heart so much as when it takes someone we love; cleaving the heart they held with their passing.”― Brandon M. Herbert
314. “When my grandmother died, time died, too, in this apartment.”― Banana Yoshimoto
315. “When Death laughs, no one else does.”― Amy Neftzger
316. “Death is nothing but absence of physical presence.”― Mayank Sharma
317. “Death. It’s around more than people realize.” ― Jessica Sorensen
318. “All the people we loved, who have died, are still alive in the past.” ― Diana Palmer
319. “Death is never easy when you know the people doing the dying.”― Oliver North
320. “Death occurs in unexpected times.”― Lailah Gifty Akita
Quotes About Losing a Loved One To Let Go
321. “No matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn’t stop for your grief.” ― Faraaz Kazi
322. “There is no solution to death….Life intends to kill us.” ― Dorothy L. Sayers
323. “A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.” ― Oscar Wilde
324. “Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them.” ― George Eliot
325. “Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back.” ― Marcus Aurelius
326. “Someone has to die in order that the rest of us should value life more.” ― Virginia Woolf
327. “When people don’t express themselves, they die one piece at a time.” ― Laurie Halse Anderson
328. “Death is so terribly final, while life is full of possibilities.” ― George R.R. Martin
329. “Death is not poison but merely life’s final remedy.” ― Terri Guillemets
330. “Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order.” ― David Gerrold
Quotes About Losing a Loved One To Recover From Mourning
331. “As a well spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well spent brings happy death.” — Leonardo Da Vinci
332. “You care so much you feel as though you will bleed to death with the pain of it.” — J.K. Rowling
333. “Pain is certain, suffering is optional.” — Buddha
334. “Grief changes shape, but it never ends.” — Keanu Reeves
335. “Grief can derange even the strongest and most disciplined of minds.” ― George R.R. Martin
336. “Losing him was like having a hole shot straight through me, a painful, constant reminder, an absence I could never fill.” ― Jojo Moyes
337. “You believe you could not live with the pain. Such pain is not lived with. It is only endured. I am sorry.” ― Erin Morgenstern
338. “She was no longer wrestling with grief, but could sit down with it as a lasting companion and make it a sharer in her thought.” — George Eliot
339. “There are three needs of the griever: To find the words for the loss, to say the words aloud and to know that the words have been heard.” — Victoria Alexander
340. “Every one of us is losing something precious to us. Lost opportunities, lost possibilities, feelings we can never get back again. That’s part of what it means to be alive.” — Haruki Murakami
Quotes About Losing a Loved One To Overcome Grief
341. “Death is not a journey into an unknown land; it is a voyage home.” ― John Ruskin
342. “She was no longer wrestling with the grief but could sit down with it as a lasting companion and make it a sharer in her thoughts.” ― George Eliot
343. “There is no death, only a change of the world.” ― Chief Seattle
344. “And we wept that one so lovely should have a life so brief.” ― William Cullen Bryant
345. “The darker the night, the brighter the stars, the deeper the grief the closer is God.” ― Fyodor Dostoevsky
346. “Dying is nothing to fear. It can be the most wonderful experience of your life. It all depends on how you’ve lived.” ― Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
347. “There is grace in grief and strength in sorrow.” ― Annie Dougherty
348. “Death may be the greatest of all human blessings.” ― Socrates
349. “Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with their heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” ― Rumi
350. “Grieving is a necessary passage and a difficult transition to finally letting go of sorrow – it is not a permanent rest stop.” ― Dodinsky
Quotes About Losing a Loved One To Uplift Your Soul
351. “I guess sometimes forever is a lot shorter than you think it’s going to be.” ― Jordon Greene
352. “I am here to create greatness, not in living legacy, but memories for thereafter…and then I must go.” ― Justin Alcala
353. “Don’t wait for people to die before you celebrate them; it’s useless to the Deceased.” ― PK Kasirim
354. “The last gust of the past still dwells in the heart.” ― Kaylee Stepkoski
355. “Your death is proof that I shouldn’t blindly trust these false promises of more years and months and weeks and tomorrow’s and hours and minutes just because I was young.” ― Adam Silvera
356. “The most painful thing in life is to watch the people you love wither away.” ― Oliver Markus Malloy
357. “Death is no respecter of love.” ― Sheldon Vanauken
358. “The house I would go back to would be bereft of her presence but filled with her memories. Our home, the little monument of memory.” ― Farah Bashir
359. “When I lost her, it felt like I was drowning in all the love I still had that could never be given.” ― Christina Lauren
360. “The pain of losing someone you love is not so much as to die for, as to live without them.” ― Napoleon Bonaparte
Which are your favorite quotes about losing a loved one?
Losing a loved one is one of the most painful experiences.
It is one of the worst things you’ll ever experience in your life.
Knowing that your loved ones won’t be there to experience life with you is never easy.
Although the pain soon reduces with time, it never really goes away.
It’s difficult, but with support and guidance, you can cope with the loss of a loved one.
Hopefully, these quotes about losing a loved one have helped you with the grieving process.
Did you enjoy these sayings and quotes about losing a loved one?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.
January 24, 2023 5:00 AM EST