Whimsy Lewis Carroll Quotes to Spark Your Imagination
March 24, 2021 6:00 AM EST
Let these Lewis Carroll quotes inspire you to run away with your imagination.
Lewis Carroll, born Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, is most well-known for his fairytale children’s stories and epic fantasy poems.
As a boy, Lewis Carroll was sickly and very shy.
He had a difficult time relating with people his own age and was often bullied.
As a result, when Carroll grew up, he spent little time with adults, but he had a wild imagination and enjoyed sharing his stories with children.
Alice Liddell was the daughter of Carroll’s dean at Oxford and one of the children who enjoyed listening to Carroll’s fantastic tales.
She inspired Carroll to write Alice in Wonderland in 1865, and, after it’s literary success, Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There.
Since then, Carroll’s stories have continued to fascinate children and adults for over a century.
Use these Lewis Carroll quotes to spark your imagination and teach you to think like a child again.
Also check out these Alice in Wonderland quotes that will send you down the rabbit hole.
If you love this quote collection, read out our most popular quote article about short inspirational quotes for daily motivation.
If you need more inspirational quotes, check out our motivational quotes category page.
Lewis Carroll quotes to spark your imagination
1. “Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas – only I don’t exactly know what they are!” – Lewis Carroll
You will also enjoy our article on Mad Hatter quotes.
2. “There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter. Which luckily I am.” – Lewis Carroll
You will also enjoy our article on Kim Possible quotes.
3. “One of the hardest things in the world is to convey a meaning accurately from one mind to another.” — Lewis Carroll
You will also enjoy our article on alice in the wonderland quotes.
4. “But I nearly forgot, you must close your eyes otherwise you won’t see anything.” – Lewis Carroll
5. “When I used to read fairytales, I fancied that kind of thing never happened, and now here I am in the middle of one!” – Lewis Carroll
6. “If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn’t. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn’t be. And what it wouldn’t be, it would. You see?” – Lewis Carroll
7. “Be what you would seem to be – or, if you’d like it put more simply – never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.” — Lewis Carroll
8. “Sometimes I believe as many as size impossible things before breakfast.” — Lewis Carroll
9. “Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.” – Lewis Carroll
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of imagination quotes that will inspire you to unleash the untapped treasures in your mind.
Wise Lewis Carroll quotes
10. “She who saves a single soul, saves the universe.” – Lewis Carroll
11. “Look after the senses and the sounds will look after themselves.” – Lewis Carroll
12. “Why is it that the people with the most narrow of minds seem to have the widest of mouths?” — Lewis Carroll
13. “Everything’s got a moral, if only you can find it.” — Lewis Carroll
14. “If you limit your actions in life to things that nobody can possibly find fault with, you will not do much!” — Lewis Carroll
15. “In some ways, you know, people that don’t exist, are much nicer than people that do.” – Lewis Carroll
16. “Without a plan, it doesn’t matter which way you’re going.” – Lewis Carroll
17. “I don’t see how he can ever finish, if he doesn’t begin.” – Lewis Carroll
18. “Life, what is it but a dream?” – Lewis Carroll
19. “I’d give all the wealth that years have piled, the slow result of life’s decay, To be once more a little child for one bright summer day.” – Lewis Carroll
20. “It is the privilege of true genius, and especially genius who opens up a new path, To make great mistakes with impunity” – Lewis Carroll
21. “If you set to work to believe everything, you will tire out the believing-muscles of your mind, and then you’ll be so weak you won’t be able to believe the simplest true things.” – Lewis Carroll
22. “Words mean more than we mean to express when we use them: so a whole book ought to mean a great deal more than the writer meant.” ~ Lewis Carroll
23. “If you drink much from a bottle marked ‘poison’ it is certain to disagree with you sooner or later.” – Lewis Carroll
24. “It’s a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.” – Lewis Carroll
25. “When you have made a thorough and reasonably long effort, to understand a thing, and still feel puzzled by it, stop, you will only hurt yourself by going on.” – Lewis Carroll
26. “Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn’t, it ain’t. That’s logic.” – Lewis Carroll
You might also like these thoughtful René Descartes quotes that will inspire you to put on your thinking cap.
Lewis Carroll quotes about love
27. “Tis a secret: none knows how it comes, how it goes but the name of the secret is love!” — Lewis Carroll
28. “To me it seems that to give happiness is a far nobler goal that to attain it: and that what we exist for is much more a matter of relations to others than a matter of individual progress: much more a matter of helping others to heaven than of getting there ourselves.” – Lewis Carroll
29. “All that matters is what we do for each other.” – Lewis Carroll
30. “If you’ll believe in me, I’ll believe in you.” – Lewis Carroll
31. “I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says, “Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.” – Lewis Carroll
Lewis Carroll quotes to live by
32. “If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does.” – Lewis Carroll
33. “If you don’t know where you are going any road can take you there.” – Lewis Carroll
34. “Courtesy is a small act but it packs a mighty wallop.” — Lewis Carroll
35. “Whatever is worth doing is worth doing well.” – Lewis Carroll
36. “The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.” – Lewis Carroll
37. “If you want to inspire confidence, give plenty of statistics. It does not matter that they should be accurate, or even intelligible, as long as there is enough of them.” – Lewis Carroll
38. “People who don’t think shouldn’t talk.” – Lewis Carroll
39. “No discussion between two persons can be of any use, until each knows clearly what it is that the other asserts.” – Lewis Carroll
Also check out these Leonardo DiCaprio quotes and sayings that will make you wish you could shake his hand.
Relatable Lewis Carroll quotes
40. “I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.” – Lewis Carroll
41. “She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it).” – Lewis Carroll
42. “My dear, here we must run as fast as we can, just to stay in place. And if you wish to go anywhere you must run twice as fast as that.” – Lewis Carroll
43. “How puzzling all these changes are! I’m never sure what I’m going to be, from one minute to another.” – Lewis Carroll
44. “You’re not the same as you were before,” he said. You were much more… muchier… you’ve lost your muchness.” – Lewis Carroll
45. “My view of life is, that it’s next to impossible to convince anybody of anything.” – Lewis Carroll
46. “It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.” – Lewis Carroll
Other creative Lewis Carroll quotes
47. “Alice: How long is forever? White Rabbit: Sometimes, just one second.” – Lewis Carroll
48. “We’re all mad here.” – Lewis Carroll
49. “No, no! The adventures first, explanations take such a dreadful time.” – Lewis Carroll
50. “I’m not strange, weird, off, nor crazy, my reality is just different from yours.” – Lewis Carroll
51. “Everything is funny, if you can laugh at it.” – Lewis Carroll
52. “It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.” – Lewis Carroll
53. “I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir. Because I am not myself, you see?” – Lewis Carroll
54. “Read the directions and directly you will be directed in the right direction.” – Lewis Carroll
55. “Alice: This is impossible. The Mad Hatter: Only if you believe it is.” – Lewis Carroll
56. “‘The time has come,’ the walrus said, ‘to talk of many things: of shoes and ships – and sealing wax – of cabbages and kings.'” – Lewis Carroll
57. “I said you LOOKED like an egg, Sir. And some eggs are very pretty, you know.” – Lewis Carroll
58. “Words mean more than we mean to express when we use them: so, a whole book ought to mean a great deal more than the writer meant.” – Lewis Carroll
59. “Who in the world am I? Ah, that’s the great puzzle.” – Lewis Carroll
60. “Better say nothing at all. Language is worth a thousand pounds a word!”― Lewis Carroll
61. “No wise fish would go anywhere without a porpoise.” – Lewis Carroll
More Lewis Carroll quotes and sayings
62. “You’re thinking about something, and it makes you forget to talk.” – Lewis Carroll
63. “I have seen so many extraordinary things, nothing seems extraordinary anymore.” – Lewis Carroll
64. “Consider anything, only don’t cry!” – Lewis Carroll
65. “Well, when one’s lost, I suppose it’s good advice to stay where you are until someone finds you.” – Lewis Carroll
66. “The things most people want to know about are usually none of their business.” – Lewis Carroll
67. “The more there is of mine, the less there is of yours.” – Lewis Carroll
68. “It’s a large as life and twice as natural.” – Lewis Carroll
69. “You could not see a cloud, because no cloud was in the sky, no birds were flying overhead there were no birds to fly.” – Lewis Carroll
70. “I wish I could shut up like a telescope! I think I could, if I only knew how to begin.” – Lewis Carroll
Did these Lewis Carroll quotes ignite your imagination?
Lewis Carroll’s writings have gone down in history as some of the most successful literary content that ever existed.
Carroll’s stories have also inspired the imaginations of other childhood heroes such as Walt Disney.
Disney’s retelling of Alice’s adventures in his 1920s comedy series and the 1951 animated adaptation sparked a new century of appreciation for Wonderland and the colorful characters which reside there.
Return to these Lewis Carroll quotes anytime you need to let your imagination run wild.
We hope you enjoyed these whimsy Lewis Carroll quotes.
Let us know your favorite quote in the comment section is below.