See the narrative of Christ through new eyes with our Gospel of Thomas quotes.
The Gospel of Thomas is one of the most interesting perspectives on the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Learn more about why this book is not included in the canonical Bible with our Gospel of Thomas quotes.
What is the Gospel of Thomas?
The Gospel of Thomas is an extra-canonical account of the life of Jesus Christ.
The book differs from other accounts in that it is a collection of his teachings and quotes rather than a description of events.
Check out these interesting ideas that come from the Gospel of Thomas:
- The Gospel of Thomas does not have any apocalyptic themes.
- The representation of women in this book has been debated for years.
- The Gospel of Thomas suggests that the Kingdom of God is already present within everyone.
Why is The Gospel of Thomas not in the Bible?
The Bible is the most copied and printed book in human history.
Even people unfamiliar with publishing know that, over time, books tend to change.
Different editions, submissions, additions, and other adjustments occur as books go from generation to generation.
The Bible is no different in this regard.
Historians and scholars alike note that, over time, different regimes, governments, and religious bodies have altered or removed books from the Bible.
The Council of Nicaea
In the year 325, the Council of Nicaea, under the power of the Roman Emperor Constantine, removed twenty-three books from the Bible.
Some of these books were burned and prohibited from reprinting.
Others were locked away or buried by ruling powers and political and religious institutions.
Many argue that these books were removed for several reasons.
Some of these were to promote control and support patriarchal ideas while silencing the role of women in the Bible.
Many of the books that were removed from the original canon offer different accounts and perspectives.
A lot of these perspectives directly challenge popular Christian beliefs and practices.
Is The Gospel of Thomas worth reading?
Despite how you may feel about canonical or gnostic texts, the Gospel of Thomas is undoubtedly a worthwhile read.
It features some of Jesus’ most beautiful, albeit cryptic, interpretations about life, soul, love, and power.
To learn more, check out our Gospel of Thomas quotes below.
Short Gospel of Thomas quotes about finding your soul
We start our list with these short and powerful quotes from the Gospel of Thomas.
1. “Anyone here with two good ears had better listen!” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
2. “You see, the end will be where the beginning is.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
3. “Perhaps people think that I have come to cast peace upon the world.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
4. “Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end?” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
5. “Love your friends like your own soul, protect them like the pupil of your eye.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
6. “Congratulations to the one who came into being before coming into being.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
7. “They do not know that I have come to cast conflicts upon the earth: fire, sword, war.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
8. “After all, what goes into your mouth won’t defile you; what comes out of your mouth will.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
9. “When you see one who was not born of woman, fall on your faces and worship. That one is your Father.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
10. “Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
The top Gospel of Thomas quotes about leadership and seeking
In this selection, Christ breaks down how spirituality impacts leadership.
11. “Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
12. “For many of the first will be last, and will become a single one.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
13. “If they say to you, ‘It is in the sea,’ then the fish will precede you.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
14. “Rather, the (Father’s) imperial rule is inside you and outside you.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
15. “Whoever discovers the interpretation of these sayings will not taste death.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
16. “But if you do not know yourselves, then you live in poverty, and you are the poverty.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
17. “When they find, they will be disturbed. When they are disturbed, they will marvel, and will rule over all.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
18. “If your leaders say to you, ‘Look, the (Father’s) imperial rule is in the sky,’ then the birds of the sky will precede you.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
19. “When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living Father.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
20. “The person old in days won’t hesitate to ask a little child seven days old about the place of life, and that person will live.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
Gospel of Thomas quotes and sayings about hidden truth and human life
Check out these wise observations from Jesus, according to Thomas.
21. “For there is nothing hidden that won’t be revealed.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
22. “I have cast fire upon the world, and look, I’m guarding it until it blazes.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
23. “This heaven will pass away, and the one above it will pass away.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
24. “Lucky is the lion that the human will eat, so that the lion becomes human.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
25. “And foul is the human that the lion will eat, and the lion still will become human.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
26. “Don’t lie, and don’t do what you hate, because all things are disclosed before heaven.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
27. “Know what is in front of your face, and what is hidden from you will be disclosed to you.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
28. “The human one is like a wise fisherman who cast his net into the sea and drew it up from the sea full of little fish.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
29. “After all, there is nothing hidden that will not be revealed, and there is nothing covered up that will remain undisclosed.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
30. “His disciples asked him and said to him, Do you want us to fast? How should we pray? Should we give to charity? What diet should we observe?” — Gospel of Thomas
Famous cryptic Gospel of Thomas quotes about life
Take a moment to enjoy these cryptic quotes from The Gospel of Thomas.
31. “Teacher, my mouth is utterly unable to say what you are like.” — Thomas, Gospel of Thomas
32. “When you go into any region and walk about in the countryside, when people take you in, eat what they serve you and heal the sick among them.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
33. “For there will be five in a house: there’ll be three against two and two against three, father against son and son against father, and they will stand alone.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
34. “If you fast, you will bring sin upon yourselves, and if you pray, you will be condemned, and if you give to charity, you will harm your spirits.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
35. “[The disciples] are like little children living in a field that is not theirs.” — Jesus Christ, The Gospel of Thomas
36. “What did Jesus say to you?” — Disciples, Gospel of Thomas
37. “What are your disciples like?” — Mary, The Gospel of Thomas
38. “If I tell you one of the sayings he spoke to me, you will pick up rocks and stone me, and fire will come from the rocks and devour you.” — Thomas, Gospel of Thomas
39. “Tell us what Heaven’s imperial rule is like.” — The Disciples, Gospel of Thomas
40. “I will give you what no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, what no hand has touched, what has not arisen in the human heart.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
The best Gospel of Thomas quotes about finding yourself
We close our list with these fruitful quotes from Jesus about finding the force within you.
41. “Compare me to something and tell me what I am like.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
42. “The dead are not alive, and the living will not die.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
43. “We know that you are going to leave us. Who will be our leader?” — Disciples, Gospel of Thomas
44. “During the days when you ate what is dead, you made it come alive.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
45. “On the day when you were one, you became two. But when you become two, what will you do?” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
46. “No matter where you are, you are to go to James the Just, for whose sake heaven and earth came into being.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
47. “You are like a just angel.” — Simon Peter, Gospel of Thomas
48. “You are like a wise philosopher.” — Matthew, Gospel of Thomas
49. “I am not your teacher. Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated from the bubbling spring that I have tended.” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
50. “When you are in the light, what will you do?” — Jesus Christ, Gospel of Thomas
You go further in life with an open mind
If a book contains moving or inspirational messages, does it matter where it came from?
Arguing over the authenticity of the Gospel of Thomas takes away from the book’s message of self-empowerment and love.
What is your favorite quote from The Gospel of Thomas?
Be sure to let us know in the comments, and share this list with your friends to encourage them.
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
What areas of your life do you want to improve? In our life skills section, we talk about time management, emotional management, stress management, mindset, productivity, soft skills, communication skills and overcoming obstacles.
Are you looking to transform your life? If yes, these daily affirmations are perfect for you. Use them to drive positive change in your life.
Discovering your purpose when you feel like you have none can be tough – but it can be done. Maybe your life purpose has been with you all along.
‘Aha moments’ offer us guidance and freedom when we need it most. Read these aha moments to help you live a happy life with minimal stress!
Check out these related quote articles:
Check out these Christian Hypocrisy quotes to see the importance of making sure your actions match your beliefs.
Discover great inspirational faith quotes to give you strength, encourage you, help you in difficult times, and give you hope. Without faith, we’re nothing.
If you have heard the word “discipleship” and wondered what it means, check out these discipleship quotes to learn more.
Learn how to get comfortable in uncomfortable conversations with our fake Christian quotes.