Lion Quotes About The King of the Jungle
March 8, 2023 1:29 AM EST
These lion quotes will show just what a powerful and beautiful cat a lion is!
Lions are large cats that are native to Africa and India and are known as The King of the Jungle.
They are muscular, with broad-chested bodies, rounded heads, and tufted tails.
The males of the species have a large mane and are larger than the females.
Lions live in a group called a pride, consisting of several adult males, related females, and cubs.
The lion is an apex predator, and while the males usually hunt solo, the females hunt in groups and can take down prey as large as African buffalos and giraffes.
Although lions are powerful and fierce, they are not known for their stamina, so they wait or stalk close to their prey before giving chase, and they can run up to speeds of 46 mph.
Enjoy learning more about lions by reading these Lion quotes!
You will also enjoy our article on cheetah quotes.
Lion Quotes in Awe of a Lion’s Power
Check out these quotes that are inspired by the power of a Lion.
1. “It’s better to be a lion for a day than a sheep all your life.” — Elizabeth Kenny
2. “A lion runs the fastest when he is hungry.” — Salman Khan
3. “An injured lion still wants to roar.” — Randy Pausch
4. “A lioness has got a lot more power than the lion likes to think she has.” — Jacki Weaver
5. “A lion doesn’t concern itself with the opinion of sheep.” — George R.R. Martin
6. “A lion is called a ‘king of beasts’ obviously for a reason.” — Jack Hanna
7. “To beat a lion, you have to have the heart of a lion.” — Keith Thurman
8. “I can be a lioness when defending my people.” — Shakira
9. “The lion is passion; the lion is fire. Lions call you to them.” — Michael Samuels
10. “At a certain point, even if the one alpha male is dominant, at a certain point, there’s a younger lion that is stronger, and everyone knows it.” — Josh Lucas
Lion Quotes for Courage and Strength
We can draw strength and courage from the example of the lion, as shown in these quotes.
11. “A truly strong person does not need the approval of others any more than a lion needs the approval of sheep.” — Vernon Howard
12. “I try to think of myself as a lion, bringing down the kill, controlling the jungle. A lion controls his jungle.” — John Daly
13. “I never thought much of the courage of a lion tamer. Inside the cage, he is at least safe from people.” — George Bernard Shaw
14. “Most women defend themselves. It is the female of the species – it is the tigress and lioness in you which tends to defend when attacked.” — Margaret Thatcher
15. “Female lions have always seemed like the best. They were really strong and took care of their babies and are beautiful.” — Brooke Shields
16. “Courage is poorly housed that dwells in numbers; the lion never counts the herd that are about him, nor weighs how many flocks he has to scatter.” — Aaron Hill
17. “Intelligence entails a strong mind, but genius entails a heart of a lion in tune with a strong mind.” — Criss Jami
18. “I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.” — Alexander the Great
19. “The lion is an emblem of the dream of absolute power – and, as a wild rather than a domestic animal, he belongs to a world outside the realm of society and culture.” — Charles H. Hinnat
20. “The one excellent thing that can be learned from a lion is that whatever a man intends doing should be done by him with a whole-hearted and strenuous effort.” — Chanakya
Lion Quotes from The Lion King
Enjoy these quotes from everyone’s favorite lion movie—The Lion King.
21. “I laugh in the face of danger.” — Simba
22. “Truth is in the eye of the beholder.” — Scar
23. “I’m only brave when I have to be.” — Mufasa
24. “I guess even a king gets scared, huh?” — Simba
25. “Don’t you understand? You’re our only hope.” — Nala
26. “I was first in line until that little hairball was born.” — Scar
27. “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” — Timon
28. “There’s more to being king than getting your way all the time.” — Mufasa
29. “Hey Uncle Scar, when I’m king, what’ll that make you?” — Simba
30. “Simba, let me tell you something my father told me. Look at the stars. The great kings of the past look down on us from those stars.” — Mufasa
Read more Lion King quotes.
Fun and Interesting Lion Quotes
There are many ways that lions are used as examples in life, as shown in these quotes.
31. “An optimist is someone who gets treed by a lion but enjoys the scenery.” — Walter Winchell
32. “An elephant is the king of the jungle for the simple reason a lion is only brave when there is loads of them.” — Dereck Chisora
33. “A lion’s work hours are only when he’s hungry; once he’s satisfied, the predator and prey live peacefully together.” — Chuck Jones
34. “Only in art will the lion lie down with the lamb, and the rose grow without thorn.” — Martin Amis
35. “I’ve got a friend who is a lion tamer. He used to be a school teacher til he lost his nerve.” — Les Dawson
36. “There is something about seeing rhinos and lions running free that excites you. It’s not that you feel afraid; it’s more like you’re liberated by seeing them.” — Michael Douglas
37. “When a lion doesn’t get its prey, it remains hungry. When the prey saves himself, he has not won, but has saved his life.” — Uday Kotak
38. “No other creatures of the savannah sleep as deeply or as soundly as lions, but after all, lions are the main reason for not sleeping soundly.” — Elizabeth Marshall Thomas
39. “The difference between a brave man and a coward is a coward thinks twice before jumping in the cage with a lion.” — Charles Bukowski
40. “All the other animals in the forest naturally expect me to be brave, for the Lion is everywhere thought to be the King of Beasts. I learned that if I roared very loudly, every living thing was frightened and got out of my way.” — L Frank Baum
More Lion Quotes to Inspire you
Enjoy these random lion quotes.
41. “I was once, I think, bitten on the nose by a lion cub.” — Newt Gingrich
42. “Love transforms our fear into courage like the once cowardly Lion of Oz.” — Chris T. Atkinson
43. “I think having wild, huge hair is me being my own version of a lioness.” — Jillian Hervey
44. “There was never a woman like her. She was gentle as a dove and brace as a lioness.” — Andrew Jackson
45. “The lion doesn’t care that the sheep laugh at him. Remember that.” — B.J. Penn
46. “I refuse to be outworked, and I consider myself to have the heart of a lion.” — Draymond Green
47. “I was the shyest human ever invented, but I had a lion inside me that wouldn’t shut up!” — Ingrid Bergman
48. “If you could cross a lion and a monkey, that’s what I’d be, because monkeys are funny and lions are strong.” — Marlon Wayans
49. “I am now an old lioness; if I see my young ones getting out of order, I’ve got to be able to say to them, this is not how lions behave. This is not right.” — Joanna Lumley
50. “Women are like lionesses at the gate of the home. Whatever happens in the home and family happens because she cares about it, and it matters to her.” — Julie B. Beck
What Animals Compete With a Lion for Food?
Whether lions are making a fresh kill or looking for carrion, other predators are also looking for a meal.
While lions dominate wild dogs, cheetahs, and leopards, crocodiles and hyenas share the same diet but don’t give up on meals so quickly.
In fact, crocodiles are known to kill lions, and while lions kill many hyenas, hyenas also gang up on and kill or chase away lions.
Please share these lion quotes with your friends and family.
Let us know your favorite in the comments.