Get ready to rumble with these West Side Story quotes!
West Side Story was originally a 1957 stage musical that was later adapted into two full-length musical films, the second of which was released in 2021.
You might also enjoy these related articles:
Steven Spielberg directed the 2021 film.
Some of the actors and actresses starting in the film include:
- Ansel Elgort
- Ariana DeBose
- Avide Alvarez
- Rachel Ziegler
West Side Story features music composed by Leonard Bernstein, while Stephen Sondheim provided the lyrics.
The award-winning movie received great reviews from critics but performed underwhelmingly at the box office, grossing $76 million against a $100 million budget.
Take a few minutes to learn more about the musical through these West Side Story Quotes.
The Best 2021 West Side Story Quotes
Here are some of the best West Side Story quotes from the 2021 movie.
1. “You are a kid, kiddo.” — Anita
2. “Let me join the sharks.” — Chino
3. “We’re very impressionable.” — Riff
4. “You always look out for me.” — Chino
5. “Tonight is about family.” — Bernardo
6. “My sweep is as good as you pay.” — Tony
7. “There’s nobody who everyone likes.” — Maria
8. “You don’t need me helping you screw up your life.” — Tony
9. “There’s a place for us, Somewhere a place for us.” — Valentina
10. “You keep away from him as long as you’re in my house.” — Bernardo
Famous West Side Story Quotes from the 1961 Movie
Check out these famous West Side Story quotes from the first movie.
11. “Tony! What happened to Tony?” — Maria
12. “I didn’t believe hard enough.” — Tony
13. “In America, nothing is impossible.” — Bernardo
14. “Why do you kids live like there’s a war on?” — Doc
15. “Make it not true, please make it not true!” — Maria
16. “We gotta show them who’s on top! The Jets!” — Action
17. “There’s a time for us, someday a time for us. Time together with time to spare, time to look, time to care, someday.” — Maria
Iconic West Side Story Quotes from the 2021 Film
Enjoy these iconic West Side Story quotes from the newest movie.
18. “It’s past time for a rumble.” — Riff
19. “Do you want to start World War 3?” — Anita
20. “I want to be happy here. I want to make a life, a home.” — Maria
21. “Get your hands off, American. Stay away from my sister.” — Bernardo
22. “Maria… I just met a girl named Maria, and suddenly that name will never be the same to me.” — Tony
23. “There’s a place for us, somewhere, a place for our peace and quiet and open air waiting for us, somewhere.” — Tony
24. “All my life, it’s like I’m always just about to fall off the edge of the world’s tallest building. I stopped falling the second I saw you.” — Tony
25. “You know, I wake up to everything I know either getting sold or wrecked or being taken over by people that I don’t like, and they don’t like me, and you know what’s left out of all of that? The Jets.” — Riff
The plot of West Side Story
The story’s plot involves two gangs: the Jets, who are Caucasian, and the Sharks, who are Puerto Rican.
The gangs fight over control of a part of New York City, and when Tony from the Jets falls in love with Maria from the Sharks, they try to stop the violence.
Can Tony and Maria stop the fighting, or will the violence engulf them?
Share these West Side Story Quotes with your friends and family, and share your favorite one in the comment section below.