If you need motivation or encouragement, enjoy these In the Heights quotes.
In the Heights is an American musical drama film directed by Jon M. Chu based on the stage musical of the same name.
It features the story of the predominantly Dominican Washington Heights neighborhood of Upper Manhattan in New York City.
It revolves around every member of the community pursuing their dreams of a better life.
The series presents a two-pronged assault of gentrification and discrimination, which are highly contested issues happening in real life.
But on the other hand, it shows the celebration of community, hope, and heritage.
Let these In the Heights quotes inspire you to chase and fulfill your dreams.
Don’t forget to also check out these Raya and the Last Dragon quotes about trust and teamwork.
In the Heights quotes by Usnavi
1. “Suenito? It means little dream.” — Usnavi
2. “I’ve been saving up all my pennies in my pennies in my piggy bank for this day.” — Usnavi
3. “Girl was a rocket, determined to go far.” — Usnavi
4. “Abuela Claudia never had kids, so she adopted the whole block as her own. Adopted our suenitos too.” — Usnavi
5. “Here I work to survive. El Suenito will be a labor of love.” — Usnavi
6. “The streets were made of music.” — Usnavi
7. “I’m up Schitt’s Creek.” — Usnavi
8. “Merry Christmas, y’all, I’m home.” — Usnavi
9. “You’re just a kid. You don’t even know. For real. Dominican Republic’s going to blow your mind.” — Usnavi
10. “It’s the story of a block that was disappearing. Once upon a time, in a faraway land called Nueva York, en un barrio called Washington Heights. Say it, so it doesn’t disappear.” — Usnavi
11. “If I made it back to the Dominican Republic, then we retained our roots. But Nina Rosario’s dreams were all about reach. Spelling bee champ, valedictorian, managed her dad’s business, and basically she was like a little sister to me.” — Usnavi
12. “On my dad’s first trip to Nueva York, he saw a passing ship on the horizon. And he was like, ‘Wow, that’s going to be my son’s name’.” — Usnavi
13. “The point is not who won, but that we all had a suenito. And when it comes to dreams, we had to keep scraping by.” — Usnavi
14. “Vanessa, tough as nails. Dreamed of being a downtown fashion designer. TO her, a suenito was something you keep a secret.” — Usnavi
15. “I was thinking, there;s so much stuff going on, and all it just got me thinking about like, all the people I care about the most. And I just thought about you.” — Usnavi
In the Heights quotes by Abuela Claudia
16. “We had to assert our dignity in small ways. That’s why these napkins are beautiful. That’s why my mother’s gloves were beautiful. Little details that tell the world, we are not invisible” — Abuela Claudia
17. “You think it ill be different in the Domincan Republic? Just like my mama. Morning and night, you after year, to what end? To wake up and scrub another floor till the day she died.” — Abuela Claudia
18. “That’s the roof? On the floor?” — Abuela Claudia
19. “Caramba. Buy me a bikini.”— Abuela Claudia
In the Heights quotes by Kevin Rosario
20. “You don’t tell me how much we can afford. You’re not the parent.”— Kevin Rosario
21. “There’s no shame in waiting tables. And there’s no shame in having a different path. Like you.” — Kevin Rosario
22. “Start small. Dream big.” — Kevin Rosario
23. “So all of my decisions can just go to hell here? I’m doing this for you!” — Kevin Rosario
24. “You can take all the bruises baby you but stay in the ring.” — Kevin
25. “Well, you keep getting A’s baby that’s your revenge!” — Kevin
In the Heights quotes by Sonny
26. “You do you. It’s all good. But don’t be roping me into your thing.” — Sonny
27. “That’s the corniest thing I’ve ever heard. You came here when you was eight. You got ‘island memories’. Not me. I was in Pampers on that plane. NYC’s my spot. I got my island, okay? Go get yours. Don’t forget how you got your name.” — Sonny
28. “They’re talking about kicking out all the dreamers. Its time to make some noise.” — Sonny
29. “My cousin over there, with his tongue hanging out, has been meaning to ask what a lady like yourself would be doing this weekend.” — Sonny
In the Heights quotes by Nina Rosario
30. “When you came here, and mom came here, you all had a Latino community ready to welcome you, open arms, babies and abuleas, and teachers and lawyers, first generation, fifth generation. There’s no community for me at school.” — Nina Rosario
31. “I got searched.” — Nina Rosario
32.“The reality of an elite school, it’s no joke, Pop. Yeah, when I left, you all were like, ‘It’s going to be great. Go show them who we are. Go represent.’ The truth is, is that most of the time I’m at Stanford feels like a betrayal.” — Nina Rosario
33. “Let me just listen to my block.” — Nina Rosario
In the Heights quotes by Vanessa
34. “It’s creepy quiet. Usually, the One train’s up there, screeching.” — Vanessa
35. “You’re about to change zip codes. Country codes, actually.” — Vanessa
36. “Well nope on her.” — Vanessa
In the Heights quotes by Daniela
37. “We are not powerless, we are powerful.” — Daniela
38. “He’s packing a stretch limousine.” — Daniela
39. “Our people survived slave ships. We survived Taino genocide. We survived conquistadores and dictators. You’re telling me we can’t survive the D Train to the Grand Concourse?” — Daniela
40. “Since when are Latin people scared of heat?” — Daniela
In the Heights quotes by Benny
41. “You’re stuck to this corner like a street light.” — Benny
42. “Check 123, check 123, this is Benny on the dispatch.” — Benny
43. “I’m making moves. I’m making deals. But guess what? You still ain’t got no skills.” — Benny
44. “Look, I might not have a job tomorrow, but I still got one tonight, Nina.” – Benny
In the Heights quotes by other characters
45. “Ice-cold piragua. Cherry, strawberry, and just for today, I got mamey.” — Piragua Guy
46. “You thirsty as hell!” — Rosarios’ Dispatcher
47. “On these blocks you can’t walk two steps without bumping into someone’s big plan.” — Alejandro
48. “This is like Gilligan’s ghetto island.” — Carla
In the Heights quotes from memorable conversations within the show
49. Vanessa: “Does your cousin dance?”
Sonny: “Like a drunk Chita Rivera”
50. Kevin Rosario: “You know, my first business, I was, like, seven or eight,”
Daniela: “You know what? Everytime you tell the story, you’re a different age, and you get younger and younger.”
Kevin Rosario: “You’re the best we’ve got, Nina. If you can’t stay in the ring, what is that going to say about it?”
Nina Rosario: “You can’t keep putting your life’s work on my shoulders, dad.”
Which of these In the Heights quotes is your favorite?
In the Heights was originally set to be adapted by Universal Pictures in 2008 but after it fell through, the project was eventually started up in 2016 by director Chu.
The filming took place around New York City in 2019. Moreover, this film received praises for its direction, performance, and musical numbers, but it did receive some criticism about the lack of representation of Afro-Latino Americans.
It’s a big-hearted and vibrant film filled with music and dance. Much like real life, it shows that anyone can dream big, and with the help of a tight-knit community, any dream is achievable.
So read on these In the Heights quotes and sayings and let yourself imagine your lifelong dream.
September 17, 2021 7:00 AM EST