Albert Camus Quotes About Life, Love, and The Stranger
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST
Looking for inspirational Albert Camus quotes?
French philosopher, author, and journalist Albert Camus (1913-1960) was one of the most influential writers of his time.
Known for his works such as ‘The Stranger’, ‘The Rebel’, and ‘The State of Siege’, he received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1957.
Camus continues to inspire not only writers and journalists today, but anyone who has a fighting spirit and a burning desire within them.
Here are powerful Albert Camus quotes for reflection, inspiration, and motivation.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our entire collection of motivational quotes here.
Moving Albert Camus quotes that will inspire you
1. “Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.” – Albert Camus
2. “Charm is a way of getting the answer ‘yes’ without asking a clear question.” – Albert Camus
3. “I shall tell you a great secret, my friend. Do not wait for the last judgment, it takes place every day.” – Albert Camus
4. “If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.” – Albert Camus
5. “In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
6. “Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.” – Albert Camus
7. “There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” – Albert Camus
8. “Too many have dispensed with generosity in order to practice charity.” – Albert Camus
9. “We rarely confide in those who are better than we are.” – Albert Camus
10. “The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.” – Albert Camus
Top Albert Camus quotes on love and people
11. “Love is the kind of illness that does not spare the intelligent or the dull.” – Albert Camus
12. “But in the end one needs more courage to live than to kill himself.” – Albert Camus
13. “Real generosity towards the future lies in giving all to the present.” – Albert Camus
14. “All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning.” – Albert Camus
15. “I see many people die because they judge that life is not worth living. I see others paradoxically getting killed for the ideas or illusions that give them a reason for living (what is called a reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying). I therefore conclude that the meaning of life is the most urgent of questions.” – Albert Camus
16. “It is natural to give a clear view of the world after accepting the idea that it must be clear.” – Albert Camus
17. “Some people talk in their sleep. Lecturers talk while other people sleep.” – Albert Camus
18. “It was previously a question of finding out whether or not life had to have a meaning to be lived. It now becomes clear on the contrary that it will be lived all the better if it has no meaning.” – Albert Camus
19. “We don’t have the time to completely be ourselves. We only have the room to be happy.” – Albert Camus
20. “And I should like to be able to love my country and still love justice. I don’t want any greatness for it, particularly a greatness born of blood and falsehood. I want to keep it alive by keeping justice alive.” – Albert Camus
Famous Albert Camus quotes on life and existentialism
21. “To create is to live twice.” – Albert Camus
22. “There are crimes of passion and crimes of logic. The boundary between them is not clearly defined.” – Albert Camus
23. “How unbearable, for women, is the tenderness which a man can give them without love. For men, how bittersweet this is.” – Albert Camus
24. “It is not humiliating to be unhappy. Physical suffering is sometimes humiliating, but the suffering of being cannot be, it is life.” – Albert Camus
25. “Against eternal injustice, man must assert justice, and to protest against the universe of grief, he must create happiness.” – Albert Camus
Did you enjoy these Albert Camus quotes?
Truly a man of passion, vision, and talent, Albert Camus will live on in our memories through these great sayings.
More than an author and a journalist, he was also a playwright, moralist, and political theorist.
He explored plenty of thought-provoking topics in his works, such as: good and evil, man’s isolation, death, and post-war realizations, among others.
We hope you learned something from this collection of Albert Camus quotes.
August 19, 2021 at 5:58 PM
When young i found the outsider unreadable but have now read it at 64 and am amazed by it. How could one so young write that and yet maybe only a young man could. Now have much respect for Camus he possessed glory amongst many other things.
August 13, 2019 at 6:23 PM