Looking for inspirational Albert Camus quotes?
French philosopher, author, and journalist Albert Camus (1913-1960) was one of the most influential writers of his time.
Camus continues to inspire not only writers and journalists today, but anyone who has a fighting spirit and a burning desire within them.
Here are powerful Albert Camus quotes for reflection, inspiration, and motivation.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our entire collection of motivational quotes here.
Moving Albert Camus quotes that will inspire you
1. “Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.” – Albert Camus
2. “Charm is a way of getting the answer ‘yes’ without asking a clear question.” – Albert Camus
3. “I shall tell you a great secret, my friend. Do not wait for the last judgment, it takes place every day.” – Albert Camus
4. “If there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.” – Albert Camus
5. “In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.” – Albert Camus
6. “Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.” – Albert Camus
7. “There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” – Albert Camus
8. “Too many have dispensed with generosity in order to practice charity.” – Albert Camus
9. “We rarely confide in those who are better than we are.” – Albert Camus
10. “The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.” – Albert Camus
Top Albert Camus quotes on love and people
11. “Love is the kind of illness that does not spare the intelligent or the dull.” – Albert Camus
12. “But in the end one needs more courage to live than to kill himself.” – Albert Camus
13. “Real generosity towards the future lies in giving all to the present.” – Albert Camus
14. “All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning.” – Albert Camus
15. “I see many people die because they judge that life is not worth living. I see others paradoxically getting killed for the ideas or illusions that give them a reason for living (what is called a reason for living is also an excellent reason for dying). I therefore conclude that the meaning of life is the most urgent of questions.” – Albert Camus
16. “It is natural to give a clear view of the world after accepting the idea that it must be clear.” – Albert Camus
17. “Some people talk in their sleep. Lecturers talk while other people sleep.” – Albert Camus
18. “It was previously a question of finding out whether or not life had to have a meaning to be lived. It now becomes clear on the contrary that it will be lived all the better if it has no meaning.” – Albert Camus
19. “We don’t have the time to completely be ourselves. We only have the room to be happy.” – Albert Camus
20. “And I should like to be able to love my country and still love justice. I don’t want any greatness for it, particularly a greatness born of blood and falsehood. I want to keep it alive by keeping justice alive.” – Albert Camus
Famous Albert Camus quotes on life and existentialism
21. “To create is to live twice.” – Albert Camus
22. “There are crimes of passion and crimes of logic. The boundary between them is not clearly defined.” – Albert Camus
23. “How unbearable, for women, is the tenderness which a man can give them without love. For men, how bittersweet this is.” – Albert Camus
24. “It is not humiliating to be unhappy. Physical suffering is sometimes humiliating, but the suffering of being cannot be, it is life.” – Albert Camus
25. “Against eternal injustice, man must assert justice, and to protest against the universe of grief, he must create happiness.” – Albert Camus
Did you enjoy these Albert Camus quotes?
Truly a man of passion, vision, and talent, Albert Camus will live on in our memories through these great sayings.
More than an author and a journalist, he was also a playwright, moralist, and political theorist.
He explored plenty of thought-provoking topics in his works, such as: good and evil, man’s isolation, death, and post-war realizations, among others.
We hope you learned something from this collection of Albert Camus quotes.
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST