Still loved today by both young and old, these inspirational Dr. Seuss quotes are perfect for anyone wanting to get nostalgic with one of the world’s greatest children’s authors of all time. Like his many children’s classics, quotes from Dr. Seuss never get old!
Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss was an American poet and author who has written over 46 books.
Many of his books have been made into films, while others have been studied in University classes.
As a child, I remember reading Dr. Seuss’ books that always made me smile.
I still smile at his wordplay.
But now, I’m able to appreciate the life lessons in all of Dr. Seuss’ work.
Here are some of the best Dr. Seuss quotes on love, life, graduation, writing, and more! These quotes have the power to boost your optimism and bring you happiness.
Perfect for kids, adults, elephants, and Whos and also for any Grinches who might leave near you.
Theodor Seuss Geisel
March 2, 1904 – September 24, 1991
Don’t forget to also read these classic Grinch quotes.
Famous Dr. Seuss Quotes About Becoming Your Best Self
1. “Congratulations! Today is your day!” – Dr. Seuss – Oh, the Places You’ll Go!
2. “You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room.” – Dr. Seuss on learning.
3. “Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. It’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do. And that enables you to laugh at life’s realities.” – Best Dr. Seuss quote saying about not taking life too seriously.
4. “If you keep your eyes open enough, oh, the stuff you will learn. Oh, the most wonderful stuff.” – from “Oh, the Places You’ll Go! by Dr. Seuss.
5. “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” – Dr. Seuss
6. “So be sure when you step, step with care and great tact. And remember that life is a great balancing act.” – Dr. Seuss
7. “From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere.” – One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish Dr. Seusss book.
8. “It is opener, out there, in the wide, open air.” – Dr. Seuss
Quotes by Dr. Seuss about the power of a smile
9. “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” – Dr. Seuss
10. “Words and pictures are yin and yang. Married, they produce a progeny more interesting than either parent. Be awesome! Be a book nut!” – Dr. Seuss about reading.
Dr. Seuss Quotes from His Poems and Children’s Books
11. “I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells.” – Dr. Seuss
12. “Just tell yourself, Duckie, you’re really quite lucky.” – Dr. Seuss
13. “Only you can control your future.” – Dr. Seuss quote about the future.
14. “If you’d never been born, then you might be an Isn’t! An Isn’t has no fun at all. No, he didn’t!” – Dr. Seuss
15. “If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.” – Dr. Seuss
16. “You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut. Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” – Dr. Seuss
17. “So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.” – Dr. Seuss discussing reading.
18. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?” – Dr. Seuss
Quotes by Dr. Seuss about small joys in life
19. “I’m glad we had the times together just to laugh and sing a song, seems like we just got started and then before you know it, the times we had together were gone.” – Dr. Seuss
20. “In the places I go there are things that I see that I never could spell if I stopped with the Z.” – Dr. Seuss
Incredible Dr. Seuss Quotes To Remind You To Have Fun
21. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
22. “You are you. Now, isn’t that pleasant?” – Dr. Seuss
23. “It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how.” – Dr. Seuss
24. “Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!” – Dr. Seuss
25. “Today is gone. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.” –One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish By Dr. Seuss.
26. “You’re in pretty good shape for the shape you are in. I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” – Dr. Seuss
Quotes by Dr. Seuss about your future
27. “Look at me! Look at me! Look at me NOW! It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how. If things start happening, don’t worry, don’t stew, just go right along and you’ll start happening too.” – Dr. Seuss
28. “How did it get so late so soon? It’s night before it’s afternoon. December is here before its June. My goodness, how the time has flown. How did it get so late so soon?” – Dr. Seuss
29. “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” – Dr. Seuss
30. “I’m sorry to say so but, sadly it’s true that bang-ups and hang-ups can happen to you.” – Doctor Seuss quote on life.
Dr. Seuss Quotes That Are Full Of Wit and Wisdom
31. “You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who will decide where to go.” – Dr. Seuss
32. “They say I’m old-fashioned, and live in the past, but sometimes I think progress progresses too fast!” – Dr. Seuss
How to Raise Smarter Children | Neil deGrasse Tyson | Goalcast
Video Credit: GoalCast
33. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” – Dr. Seuss
34. “It’s a troublesome world. All the people who are in it are troubled with troubles almost every minute. You ought to be thankful, a whole heaping lot, for the places and people you’re lucky you’re not.” – Dr. Seuss
Quotes by Dr. Seuss about making things happen
35. “Things may happen and often do to people as brainy and footsy as you.” – Dr. Seuss
36. “Think and wonder, wonder and think.” – Dr. Seuss
37. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose.” – Dr. Seuss book quotes.
38. “Christmas doesn’t come from a store, maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more.” – Dr. Seuss from “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!”
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of funny Christmas quotes about the power of humor during the holiday.
39. “Oh, the things you can find if you don’t stay behind!” – Dr. Seuss
40. “Simple it’s not, I am afraid you will find, for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.” – Dr. Seuss
Dr. Seuss Quotes about reading
41. “You’re never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child.” – Dr. Seuss
42. “You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.” – Dr. Seuss
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of book quotes about the power of reading from your favorite authors.
43. “I can read in red. I can read in blue. I can read in pickle color too.” – Dr. Seuss
44. “Virtually every page is a cliffhanger – you’ve got to force them to turn it.” – Dr. Seuss
45. “You have to be a speedy reader because there’s so so much to read.” – Dr Seuss
46. “You really can’t teach reading as a science. Love gets mixed up in it.” – Dr. Seuss
Dr. Seuss Quotes about Love
47. “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” – Dr. Seuss
48. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” – Dr. Seuss
49. “Read. Travel. Read. Ask. Read. Learn. Read. Connect. Read.” – Dr. Seuss
50. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.” – Dr. Seuss
51. “There’s no limit to how much you’ll know, depending how far beyond zebra you go.” – Dr. Seuss
52. “I know, up on top you are seeing great sights, but down here at the bottom we, too, should have rights.” – Dr. Seuss about equality.
53. “All alone! Whether you like it or not, alone is something you’ll be quite a lot.” – Dr. Seuss
54. “It’s not about what it is, it’s about what it can become.” – Dr. Seuss and the future,
55. “I’m afraid sometimes you’ll play lonely games too, games you can’t win because you’ll play against you.” – Dr. Seuss
56. “Kid, you’ll move mountains! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So get on your way!” – Famous Dr. Seuss mountain quote in “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!”
57. “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It is not. And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!” – Dr. Seuss
58. “Remember me and smile, for it’s better to forget than to remember me and cry.” – Dr. Seuss
59. “Today I shall behave as if this is the day I will be remembered.” – Dr. Seuss
60. “It is better to know how to learn than to know.” – Dr. Seuss
Dr. Seuss quotes that are full of wisdom
61. “In my world, everyone’s a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” – Dr. Seuss
62. “You’ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.” – Dr. Seuss
63. “Things are never quite as scary when you’ve got a best friend.” – Dr. Seuss
64. “So, open your mouth, lad! For every voice counts!” – Dr. Seuss
65. “Why are they sad and glad and bad? I do not know, go ask your dad.”
― Dr. Seuss
66. “I speak for the trees!” ― Dr. Seuss
67. “The people that mind don’t matter, and the people that matter don’t mind.” ― -Dr. Seuss
68. “Oh, what a day. I will make it a holiday.” ― Dr. Seuss
69. “I am weird, you are weird. Everyone in this world is weird. One day two people come together in mutual weirdness and fall in love.” ― Dr. Seuss
70. “Fun is good” ― Dr. Seuss
Dr. Seuss quotes to inspire and teach
71. “Remember me and smile, for it’s better to forget than to remember me and cry.”― Dr. Seuss
72. “Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.”― Dr. Seuss
73. “Whenever things go a bit sour in a job I’m doing, I always tell myself, ‘You can do better than this.’”― Dr. Seuss
74. “With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet, you’re too smart to go down any not-so-good street.” – Dr. Seuss
75. “You do not like them. So you say. Try them! Try them! And you may!” –
76. “And he, he himself…the Grinch…carved the roast-beast!” – Dr. Seuss
77. “Be who you are and say what you feel because the ones who mind don’t matter, and the ones who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss
78. “Fiction is my addiction.”― Dr. Seuss
79. “A book is just like life and anything can change.”― Dr. Seuss
80. “Reading can take you places you have never been before.”― Dr. Seuss
Sayings and Quotes by Dr. Seuss
81. “No matter what you do, somebody always imputes meaning into your books.”― Dr. Seuss
82. “You never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.”― Dr. Seuss
83. “When something bad happens you have three choices. You can either let it define you, let is destroy you, or you can let it strengthen you.”― Dr. Seuss
84. “I am lucky to be what I am! Thank goodness I’m not just a clam or ham or a dirty jar of sour gooseberry jam! I am what I am. That’s a great thing to be.”― Dr. Seuss
85. “You’ll meet things that will scare you right out of your pants!”― Dr.Seuss
86. “We should strive to treat each other with common Human Decency”― Dr. Seuss
87. “I meant what I said and said what I meant.”― Dr. Seuss
88. “To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.”― Dr. Seuss
89. “I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of good fun that is funny.” – Dr. Seuss
90. “Don’t give up now, I believe in you all! A person’s a person, no matter how small.” ― Dr. Seuss
91. “He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.” ― Dr. Seuss
92. “You’ll be on your way up! You’ll be seeing great sights! You’ll join the high fliers who soar to high heights.”― Dr. Seuss
93. “Take every chance, drop every fear.”― Dr. Seuss
94. “Children want the same things we want. To laugh, to be challenged, to be entertained, and delighted.”― Dr. Seuss
95. “Think! You can think any Think that you wish!”― Dr. Seuss
More Dr. Seuss quotes to inspire you
96. “Don’t live to please everyone. Embrace those who enjoy your company and to hell with the haters.” – Dr. Seuss
97. “Life is too short to wake up in the morning with regrets. So, love the people who treat you right, forgive the ones who don’t and believe that everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said it’d be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”- Dr. Seuss
98. “People who mind don’t matter. But people who matter don’t mind.” – Dr. Seuss
99. “Always remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, smarter than you think and twice as beautiful as you’ve ever imagined.”- Dr. Seuss
100. “I meant what I said and I said what I meant.” – Dr. Seuss
101. “Be grateful you’re not in the forest in France
Where the average young person just hasn’t a chance
To escape from the perilous pants eating plants
But your pants are safe, you’re a fortunate guy
You ought to be shouting how lucky am I.” – Dr. Seuss
102. “Sometimes, when I see my granddaughters make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.”- Dr. Seuss
103. “Nothing is going to change unless someone does something soon.”- Dr. Seuss
104. “When you’re in a Slump, you’re not in for much fun. Un-slumping yourself is not easily done.”- Dr. Seuss
105. “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.”- Dr. Seuss
Don’t forget to also read these inspirational quotes for kids about success, life, and happiness.
What do you think about these Dr. Seuss quotes?
Dr. Seuss’ books have introduced millions of children to the joys of reading and the magic of wordplay. We hope his words above have brought a smile to your face.
Did you enjoy these Dr. Seuss quotes? Which one of them speaks to your inner child the most? Share your thoughts in the comments section!
October 27, 2020 6:00 AM EST