On the fourth Thursday of every November in the United States, we gather with close friends and family to break bread and be grateful for all the good that has been bestowed upon us throughout the year.
This timeless tradition of giving thanks is a cherished ritual that many Americans hold near and dear to their hearts—not to mention, the food is amazing!
If you’re in search of the very best Thanksgiving quotes, allow these thoughtful words to be the perfect ones you’ll want to read this Thanksgiving.
Held on the fourth Thursday in November, the holiday originated as a harvest festival celebrated by the Pilgrims in 1621 after a successful growing season.
It has been celebrated nationally on and off since 1789, when George Washington declared Thursday, November 26, a Thanksgiving holiday.
Its celebration was intermittent until 1863 when it became a federal holiday after President Abraham Lincoln made Thanksgiving an official holiday to be celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November every year.
Although Thanksgiving is a time to cherish with your loved ones, you might get a little tongue-tied when trying to express your feelings about the holiday.
So to get you into the Thanksgiving spirit, here are some inspirational quotes that you can share with your friends and family to show just how thankful you are.
Happy Thanksgiving quotes for intense gratitude
1. “Thanksgiving is a joyous invitation to shower the world with love and gratitude.” – Amy Leigh Mercree
2. “Not what we say about our blessing, but how we use them, is the true measure of our Thanksgiving.” – W.T. Purkiser
3. “Thanks are the highest form of thought, and gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” – G.K. Chesterton
4. “Thanksgiving is a time of togetherness and gratitude.”— Nigel Hamilton
5. “Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.”- Henry Van Dyke
6. “Thanksgiving Day is a good day to recommit our energies to giving thanks and just giving.” – Amy Grant
7. “Gratitude is the wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk.” – Rumi
8. “Appreciation can change a day, even change a life. Your willingness to put it into words is all that is necessary.” — MARGARET COUSINS
9. “Thanksgiving day is a jewel, to set in the hearts of honest men; but be careful that you do not take the day, and leave out the gratitude.” – E.P. Powell
10. “Yesterday’s the past, tomorrow’s the future, but today is a gift. That’s why it’s called the present.” – Bil Keane
Don’t forget to also read these thankful quotes that will change your perspective.
Happy Thanksgiving quotes to inspire togetherness and gratitude
11. “When I started counting my blessings, my whole life turned around.” – Willie Nelson
12. “I am grateful for what I am and have. My thanksgiving is perpetual.”— Henry David Thoreau
13. “Forever on Thanksgiving the heart will find the pathway home.” – Wilbur D. Nesbit
14. “A moment of gratitude makes a difference in your attitude.” – Bruce Wilkinson
15. “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” – John F. Kennedy
16. “We should certainly count our blessings, but we should also make our blessings count.” – Neal A. Maxwell
17. “Best of all is it to preserve everything in a pure, still heart, and let there be for every pulse a thanksgiving, and for every breath a song.”— KONRAD VON GESNER
18. “If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.” – Meister Eckhart
19. “Kindness is always fashionable, and always welcome.” – Amelia Barr
20. “What we’re really talking about is a wonderful day set aside on the fourth Thursday of November when no one diets. I mean, why else would they call it Thanksgiving? —Erma Bombeck
Happy Thanksgiving quotes to help you reflect on what truly matters
21. “Even in the trials of life, if we have eyes to see them, we can find good things everywhere we look.” – Joanna Gaines
22. “The more you practice the art of thankfulness, the more you have to be thankful for.” – Norman Vincent Peale
23. “If a fellow isn’t thankful for what he’s got, he isn’t likely to be thankful for what he’s going to get.”— Frank A. Clark
24. “It is not joy that makes us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us joyful.” – David Steindl-Rast
25. “An attitude of gratitude brings great things.” – Yogi Bhajan
26. “Thanksgiving isn’t just a day. It’s a way we can live our lives every day.” – Katrina Mayer
27. “If you are really thankful, what do you do? You share.” – W. Clement Stone
28. “‘Thank you’ is the best prayer that anyone could say. I say that one a lot. Thank you expresses extreme gratitude, humility, understanding.” – Alice Walker
29. “For what I have received may the Lord make me truly thankful. And more truly for what I have not received.” — STORM JAMESON
30. “Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” – Omar Khayyam
Happy Thanksgiving quotes to inspire gratitude
31. “Be present in all things and thankful for all things.” – Maya Angelou
32. “The thankful heart opens our eyes to a multitude of blessings that continually surround us.” – James E. Faust
33. “Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days of the year because it reminds us to give thanks and to count our blessings. Suddenly, so many things become so little when we realize how blessed and lucky we are.”— Joyce Giraud
34. “Be thankful for what you have. Your life is someone else’s fairy tale.” – Wale Ayeni
35. “Thanksgiving just gets me all warm and tingly and all kinds of wonderful inside.”— Willard Scott
36. “If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily.” – Gerald Good
37. “I have a lot to be thankful for. I am healthy, happy, and I am loved.” – Reba McEntire
38. “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues but the parent of all others.”— MARCUS TULLIUS CICERO
39. “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.” – William Arthur Ward
40. “Gratitude is a quality similar to electricity: It must be produced and discharged and used up in order to exist at all.” —William Faulkner
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Gratitude quotes that will transform your perspective.
Thanksgiving quotes to make your day
41. “Cooking Tip: Wrap turkey leftovers in aluminum foil and throw them out.” – Nicole Hollander
42. “Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse.”— Henry Van Dyke
43. “What if today, we were just grateful for everything?” – Charlie Brown
44. “Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings.”— William Arthur Ward
45. “The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest.” – William Blake
46. “After a good dinner, one can forgive anybody, even one’s own relations.” – Oscar Wilde
47. “Give thanks for a little and you will find a lot.” – Hausa Proverb
48. “Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.”— MELODY BEATTIE
49. “Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread and pumpkin pie.” – Jim Davis
50. “Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.” —Ernest Hemingway
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of smile quotes to help keep a smile on your face.
Thanksgiving quotes that will make your day
51. “I’m thankful for every moment.” – Al Green
52. “Let us fill our hearts with our own compassion — towards ourselves and towards all living beings.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
53. “Thanksgiving is one of my favorite American traditions. I quickly picked it up when I moved to the U.S. from Sweden.” – Marcus Samuelsson
54. “Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up in a single day.” – Robert Caspar Lintner
55. “Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday – it’s a day that’s American to the core and it’s a day that’s all about what and how we eat.” – Marcus Samuelsson
56. “Every now and then it’s good to stop climbing and appreciate the view from right where you are.” – Lori Deschene
57. “I’ve always had fond memories of cooking Thanksgiving.” – Wylie Dufresne
58. “Be thankful for the blessings of the little things, even when you don’t get what you expect.” – Victoria Osteen
59. “If you think about a Thanksgiving dinner, it’s really like making a large chicken.” – Ina Garten
60. “Truly appreciate life, and you’ll find that you have more of it.” – Ralph Marston
More thanksgiving quotes and sayings
61. “Being thankful reminds us that if it’s broken it’s an opportunity.” – Craig D. Lounsbrough
62. “Practice turning everything in life into prayer and thanksgiving.” – Henry Hon
63. “Gratitude is what you feel. Thanksgiving is what you do.” – Tim Keller
64. “Be grateful for who you are and what you will be.” – Lailah Gifty Akita
65. “Thanksgiving is not only being aware of the abundance of good in the world but embracing it.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
66. “I thank you wholeheartedly because you cannot imagine all the happiness you are giving me.” – Auliq Ice
67. “The value we place on what we’ve been given correlates to our depth of gratitude for it.” – Todd Stocker
68. “The pondering heart is a thankful heart.” – Todd Stocker
69. “Thankfulness creates gratitude which generates contentment that causes peace.” – Todd Stocker
70. “Express gratitude for the greatness of small things.” – Richie Norton
Happy Thanksgiving quotes to appreciate what you have
71. “Over and over I marvel at the blessings of my life: Each year has grown better than the last.” -Lawrence Welk
72. “To give thanks in solitude is enough. Thanksgiving has wings and goes where it must go. Your prayer knows much more about it than you do.” -Victor Hugo
73. “I give thanks to my Creator for this wonderful life where each of us has the opportunity to learn lessons we could not fully comprehend by any other means.” -Joseph B. Wirthlin
74. “I think that is a better thing than thanksgiving: thanks-living.” -Charles Spugeon
75. “Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts.” -Henri Frederic Amiel
76. “Sometimes we need to remind ourselves that thankfulness is indeed a virtue.” -William Bennett
77. “When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself.” -Tecumseh
78. “Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation, sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return. Truly appreciate those around you, and you’ll soon find many others around you. Truly appreciate life, and you’ll find that you have more of it.” -Ralph Marston
79. “No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks.” -James Allen
80. “Be grateful for what you have and stop complaining – it bores everybody else, does you no good, and doesn’t solve any problems.” -Zig Ziglar
Happy Thanksgiving Quotes To Make You Grateful
81. “Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.” — Eckhart Tolle
82. “Your friend is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving.” — Khalil Gibran
83. “Well, there’s not a day goes by when I don’t get up and say thank you to somebody.” — Rod Stewart
84. “The thankful heart will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings.” — Henry Ward Beecher
85. “Thank you for life, and all the little ups and downs that make it worth living.” — Travis Barker
86. “We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.” — Albert Schweitzer
87. “Remembering with thanks is what causes us to trust – to really believe.” — Ann Voskamp
88. “Faith without thankfulness lacks strength and fortitude.” — John Henry Jowett
89. “Thanksgiving is nothing if not a glad and reverent lifting of the heart to God in honor and praise for His goodness.” — J.R. Miller
90. “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more.” — Oprah Winfrey
Did you enjoy these Thanksgiving quotes
Thanksgiving is all about gathering together with those who are nearest and dearest to us to reflect on what’s most important in life and be thankful for all that we have; no matter how small or ordinary.
Sharing happy Thanksgiving quotes with your friends and family is a great way to get into the spirit of the holiday.
Hopefully, these quotes have helped kick off your Thanksgiving feast and festivities.
Did you enjoy these happy Thanksgiving quotes?
Which of the quotes was your favorite?
We would love to hear all about it in the comment section below.
Also, don’t forget to share with your friends and family.
September 24, 2022 6:00 AM EST