Read these Andrew Carnegie quotes to find inspiration and direction from one of the wealthiest men of the 19th century.
Andrew Carnegie was born in Scotland but immigrated to the United States at the age of 13. Education was always important to his family although he didn’t have much formal education himself.
Carnegie was an incredibly hard worker that started at the bottom and worked his way up the ladder. Eventually, he found himself at the top and one of the wealthiest men in America.
In the later years of his life, Carnegie sold his company for $200 million dollars and focused on philanthropy. Over the years he donated money to things like libraries and even founded a university. There’s a lot that we can learn from him.
Don’t forget to also check out these Henry Ford quotes from one of America’s greatest pioneers.
Andrew Carnegie quotes about leadership
1. “Teamwork is the ability to work together toward a common vision. It is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results.” – Andrew Carnegie
2. “Be king in your dreams. Make your vow that you will reach that position, with untarnished reputation, and make no other vow to distract your attention.” – Andrew Carnegie
3. “No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it.” – Andrew Carnegie
4. “There is no use whatever trying to help people who do not want to help themselves.” – Andrew Carnegie
5. “You cannot push anyone up a ladder unless he is willing to climb a little.” – Andrew Carnegie
6. “It marks a big step in your development when you come to realize that other people can help you do a better job than you could do alone.” – Andrew Carnegie
7. “People rarely succeed unless they have fun in what they are doing.” – Andrew Carnegie
8. “I wish to have as my epitaph: Here lies a man who was wise enough to bring into his service men who knew more than he.” – Andrew Carnegie
Andrew Carnegie quotes for business
9. “Concentration is my motto – first honesty, then industry, then concentration.” – Andrew Carnegie
10. “Watch the costs and the profits will take care of themselves.” – Andrew Carnegie
11. “And the law of competition may be sometimes hard for the individual but it’s best for the race because it ensures the survival of the fittest in every department.” – Andrew Carnegie
12. “Concentrate your energy, your thoughts and your capital.” – Andrew Carnegie
13. “My heart is in the work.” – Andrew Carnegie
14. “And here is the prime condition of success, the great secret. Concentrate your energy, thoughts and capital exclusively upon the business in which you are engaged in. Having begun in one line, resolve to fight it out on that line; to lead in it. Adopt every improvement, have the best machinery and know the most about it.” – Andrew Carnegie
15. “The average person puts only 25% of his energy and ability into his work. The world takes off its hat to those who put in more than 50% of their capacity, and stands on its head for those few and far between souls who devote 100%.” – Andrew Carnegie
16. “I did not understand steam machinery but I tried to understand much more complicated mechanism; – man.” – Andrew Carnegie
Also check out these inspiring Michael Bloomberg quotes from the multi-billionaire businessman.
Andrew Carnegie quotes about success
17. “The men who have succeeded are men who have chosen one line and stuck to it.” – Andrew Carnegie
18. “All achievements, all earned riches have their beginning in an idea.” – Andrew Carnegie
19. “There is little success where there is little laughter.” – Andrew Carnegie
20. “Success can be attained in any branch of labor. There’s always room at the top in every pursuit.” – Andrew Carnegie
21. “There is no class as pitiably wretched as that which possesses money and nothing else.” – Andrew Carnegie
22. “The secret of success lies not in doing your own work but in recognizing the best person to do it.” – Andrew Carnegie
23. “A sunny disposition is worth more than fortune. Young people should know that it can be cultivated; that the mind, like the body can be moved for the shade into sunshine.” – Andrew Carnegie
24. “It is the mind that makes the body rich.” – Andrew Carnegie
25. “People who are unable to motivate themselves must be content with mediocrity, no matter how impressive their other talents.” – Andrew Carnegie
26. “Concentrate your energies, your thoughts and your capital. The wise man puts all his eggs in one basket and watches the basket.” – Andrew Carnegie
Inspirational Andrew Carnegie quotes
27. “I shall argue that strong men conversely know when to compromise and that all principles can be compromised to serve a greater purpose.” – Andrew Carnegie
28. “Aim for the highest.” – Andrew Carnegie
29. “The first man gets the oyster, the second gets the shell.” – Andrew Carnegie
30. “Do not look for approval except for the consciousness of doing your best.” – Andrew Carnegie
31. “Immense power is acquired by assuring yourself in your secret reveries that you were born to control affairs.” – Andrew Carnegie
32. “All human beings can alter their lives by altering their attitudes.” – Andrew Carnegie
33. “Young man, make your name worth something.” – Andrew Carnegie
34. “Think of yourself as on the threshold of unparalleled success. A whole, clear, glorious life lies before you. Achieve! Achieve!” – Andrew Carnegie
35. “Anything worth having is worth working for.” – Andrew Carnegie
36. “Do your duty and a little more and the future will take care of itself.” – Andrew Carnegie
37. “The man who acquires the ability to take full possession of his own mind may take possession of anything else to which he justly entitled.” – Andrew Carnegie
38. “It is trying to be other than one’s self that unmans one. Be your own natural self and go ahead.” – Andrew Carnegie
A few more Andrew Carnegie quotes
39. “As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say, I just watch what they do.” – Andrew Carnegie
40. “The man who dies rich dies in disgrace.” – Andrew Carnegie
41. “Wealth is not to feed the egos but to feed the hungry and to help people help themselves.” – Andrew Carnegie
42. “I began to learn what poverty meant. It was burnt in my heart then that my father had to beg for work and there came the resolve that I would cure that when I got to be a man.” – Andrew Carnegie
43. “I resolved to stop accumulating and begin the infinitely more serious and difficult task of wise distribution.” – Andrew Carnegie
44. “Whatever I engage in, I push inordinately.” – Andrew Carnegie
45. “No man becomes rich without himself enriching others.” – Andrew Carnegie
46. “Surplus wealth is a sacred trust which its possessor is bound to administer in his lifetime for the good of the community.” – Andrew Carnegie
47. “All honor’s wounds are self-inflicted.” – Andrew Carnegie
48. “If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes.” – Andrew Carnegie
49. “A library outranks any other one thing a community can do to benefit its people. It is a never failing spring in the desert.” – Andrew Carnegie
50. “Do real and permanent good in this world.” – Andrew Carnegie
Which of these Andrew Carnegie quotes inspired you to achieve a higher level of success?
If you’re ready to experience more success in your own life, these quotes from Andrew Carnegie can help you learn things you should do as well as things you shouldn’t. Whether you need a little inspiration to keep going in your job, to help you start your own business, or in another area of your life, there are quotes above that can help you achieve your success.
And don’t forget that professional success and money is not everything. Andrew Carnegie wasn’t just focused on making money and growing his success. He also donated throughout his life to worthy causes that would benefit the community around him. That’s what true success is.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Andrew Carnegie quotes and sayings? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
April 15, 2020 7:42 AM EST