Fans of Jane Austen will adore these Emma quotes!
Emma has captured readers’ hearts for over two centuries and has been adapted into numerous films, TV shows, and stage productions.
Tell us your favorite Emma quote in the comment section.
Why read Emma quotes?
The overreaching themes of Emma include self-awareness, personal growth, and empathy.
Reading Emma quotes inspires us to reflect on these themes in our own lives.
The novel is set in the fictional village of Highbury, England.
It follows Emma Woodhouse as she navigates the social landscape of early 19th-century society.
Throughout the book, Emma learns important lessons about:
- The consequences of actions
Jane Austen’s Emma is known for its complex characters, including Emma’s friend and confidante, Harriet Smith, and her mentor, Mr. Knightley.
It is also notable for portraying gender roles and societal expectations, particularly regarding marriage and class during that time.
Emma is a captivating and engaging tale with insightful themes that make it a must-read for anyone seeking inspiration and personal growth.
Please enjoy these Emma quotes!
Short Emma quotes about respect and style
Let’s start the list with some of Jane Austen’s most dynamic short quotes.
1. “Respect for right conduct is felt by everybody.” — Jane Austen, Emma
2. “One man’s style must not be the rule of another’s.” — Jane Austen, Emma
3. “It is very difficult for the prosperous to be humble.” — Jane Austen, Emma
4. “I do not find myself making any use of the word sacrifice.” — Jane Austen, Emma
5. “Wickedness is always wickedness, but folly is not always folly.” — Jane Austen, Emma
The top Emma quotes about happiness
Enjoy these Emma quotes about happiness.
6. “I would much rather have been merry than wise.” — Jane Austen, Emma
7. “You must be the best judge of your own happiness.” — Jane Austen, Emma
8. “I do suspect that he is not really necessary to my happiness.” — Jane Austen, Emma
9. “How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation!” — Jane Austen, Emma
10. “She was happy, she knew she was happy, and knew she ought to be happy.” — Jane Austen, Emma
The best Emma quotes about love
These are the best Emma quotes by Jane Austen regarding love.
11. “If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.” — Jane Austen, Emma
12. “I am quite enough in love. I should be sorry to be anymore.” — Jane Austen, Emma
13. “It is not every man’s fate to marry the woman who loves him best.” — Jane Austen, Emma
14. “I suppose there may be a hundred different ways of being in love.” — Jane Austen, Emma
15. “She was one of those, who, having once begun, would be always in love.” — Jane Austen, Emma
Famous Emma quotes about vanity and the senses
Below are some Emma quotes dealing with sensibility.
16. “Vanity working on a weak head produces every sort of mischief.” — Jane Austen, Emma
17. “One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.” — Jane Austen, Emma
18. “Men of sense, whatever you may choose to say, do not want silly wives.” — Jane Austen, Emma
19. “Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way.” — Jane Austen, Emma
20. “There are people, who the more you do for them, the less they will do for themselves.” — Jane Austen, Emma
Emma quotes and sayings about relationships
Finish up with these reflections about relationships and how to treat others.
21. “I am going to take a heroine whom no one but myself will much like.” — Jane Austen, Emma
22. “This sweetest and best of all creatures, faultless in spite of all her faults.” — Jane Austen, Emma
23. “I always deserve the best treatment because I never put up with any other.” — Jane Austen, Emma
24. “The I examined my own heart. And there you were. Never, I fear, to be removed.” — Jane Austen, Emma
25. “Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced, and the inconvenience is often considerable.” — Jane Austen, Emma
Emma, the Movie
The 2020 movie adaptation of Emma is a vibrant retelling of the classic novel.
It stars Anya Taylor-Joy as Emma Woodhouse.
The film captures the wit and charm of Austen’s original work while adding a unique flair to the period drama.
It was praised for being visually stunning, with bright costumes and beautiful scenery.
Overall, the 2020 adaptation of Emma has delighted audiences and will appeal to long-time fans of Austen’s work and newcomers alike.
Tell us your favorite Emma quote in the comment section!
If you enjoyed reading these Emma quotes, please share them with others by clicking the Share button now!
Check out these related lifestyle articles:
Introduce yourself to some wise words and concepts that will provide inspiration or advice to help us fulfill our potential and allow us to live the life we were destined to live.
Do you think that life imitates art, or is art imitating life? Before you answer that, read this article to understand what the phrase means.
Ready to get inspired and uplifted? These words of wisdom are here for you, friend!
There are many ways to nourish your soul, from breathing and spending time with nature to volunteering; here are ten ways to start today.
Check out these related quote articles:
In life, some moments mark the beginning of a new chapter—a chance to turn the page, as seen in these new beginning quotes.
Explore the complex world of sad love quotes that capture the bittersweet essence of love’s challenges.
These quotes about relationships will inspire you to appreciate the special person in your life even more.
Words of wisdom are helpful to anyone looking to get inspired through words that are as powerful as they are meaningful.