Lies are some of the most powerful forms of betrayal.
If you’ve been lied to, you can find comfort in these lies quotes, and be reminded that you are not alone in your pain.
So why do we find it so hard to forgive?
Often, we love our liars, and the lie is disguised as the truth.
But really, when it comes to any relationship, the truth is the most important thing for moving forward.
These lies quotes highlight what it feels like to be betrayed and how important the truth is.
They explore the dangers of lies, and the importance of moving on, so that maybe, one day, you can forgive.
Lies Quotes About Betrayal
1. “I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
2. “When truth is replaced by silence, the silence is a lie.” – Yevgeny Yevtushenko
3. “Anything is better than lies and deceit!” – Leo Tolstoy
4. “Lying is done with words, and also with silence.” – Adrienne Rich
5. “You don’t lie to the person you love. It’s the most horrible thing to do as a lover.” – Unknown
6. “I am stuffing your mouth with your promises and watching you vomit them out upon my face.” – Anne Sexton
7. “The worst part about being lied to is known that to that person, you weren’t worth the truth.” – Unknown
8. “Better to be hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie.” – Khaled Hosseini
9. “We’re all islands shouting lies to each other across seas of misunderstanding.” – Rudyard Kipling
10. “Always sleep with one eye open. Never take anything for granted. Your best friends might just be your enemies.” – Sara Shepard
11. “Every time you lie, it brings me a little closer to goodbye.” – Unknown
12. “The cruelest lies are often told in silence.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
13. “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.” –Daniel Patrick Moynihan
14. “Your hypocrisy insults my intelligence.” – Toba Beta
15. “One like has the power to tarnish a thousand truths.” – Al David
16. “Of all the lies I’ve heard, ‘I love you,’ was my favorite.” – Unknown
17. “Things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies.” – Dorothy Allison
18. “There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one’s self on lies and fables.” – Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
19. “Never lie to someone who trust you. Never trust someone who lies to you.” – Unknown
You might also like these rumor quotes will make you want to stop spreading drama and lies.
Lies Quotes About the Importance of Truth
20. “If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” – Mark Twain
21. “Above all, don’t lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.” – Fyodor Dostoevsky
22. “If you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell it about other people.” – Virginia Woolf
23. “It is an occupational hazard that anyone who has spent her life learning how to lie eventually becomes bad at telling the truth.” – Ally Carter
24. “A thing may happen and be a total lie; another thing may not happen and be truer than the truth.” – Tim O’Brien
25. “Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons.” – Michael Jackson
26. “We’re going to have to let truth scream louder to our souls than the lies that have infected us.” – Beth Moore
27. “Telling the truth and making someone cry is better than telling a lie and making someone smile.” – Unknown
28. “A lie has speed, but truth has endurance.” – Edgar J. Mohn
29. “When you tell a lie, you steal someone’s right to the truth.” – Khaled Hosseini
30. “One lie is enough to question all truth.” – Unknown
Also check out these wise enemy quotes that will make you want to cut ties with your frenemies.
Lies Quotes the Danger of Deception
31. “It’s better to offer no excuse than a bad one.” – George Washington
32. “Lies are a temporary solution to a permanent problem.” – Unknown
33. “Things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies.” – Dorothy Allison
34. “Oh, what a tangled web we weave… when first we practice to deceive.” – Walter Scott
35. “I guess sometimes you have to lie to find the truth.” – Scott Westerfeld
36. “The truth is messy. It’s raw and uncomfortable. You can’t blame people for preferring lies.” – Holly Black
37. “A half-truth is the most cowardly of lies.” – Mark Twain
38. “Lies are neither bad nor good. Like a fire they can either keep you warm or burn you to death, depending on how they’re used.” – Max Brooks
39. “A lie can run round the world before the truth has got its boots on.” – Terry Pratchett
40. “Every violation of truth is not only a sort of suicide in the liar, but is a stab at the health of human society.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
41. “False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.” – Plato
42. “He who permits himself to tell a lie once, finds it much easier to do it a second and a third time till at length it becomes habitual.” – Thomas Jefferson
43. “With lies you may go ahead in the world, but you can never go back.” –Russian Proverb
44. “We tell lies when we are afraid… afraid of what we don’t know, afraid of what others will think, afraid of what will be found out about us. But every time we tell a lie, the thing that we fear grows stronger.” – Tad Williams
Lies Quotes for Forgiveness and Moving On
45. “Trying to make sense of crazy will simply drive you crazy. Let it go.” – Karen Salmansohn
46. “Mean people don’t bother me. Mean people who disguise themselves as nice people bother me a lot.” – Cindy Cummings Johnson
47. “Many people would be very scared if they saw the face of their true character in the mirror.” – Unknown
48. “Forgive and forget. It may not change the past but it gives the future a chance.” – Unknown
49. “Loving words are just a bunch of pretty verbal decorations if they’re not backed up by loving actions.” – Karen Salmansohn
50. “A lie repeated many times doesn’t change the truth.” – Frank Sonenberg
51. “Not forgiving is like drinking rat poison and then waiting for the rat to die.” – Anne Lamott
52. “The first to apologize is the bravest. The first to forgive is the strongest, and the first to forget is the happiest.” – Unknown
53. “Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn’t know before you lived through it. Honor your path. Trust your journey. Learn, grow, evolve, become.” – Creig Crippen
54. “Forgiveness is not for the weak. Being able to forgive those who have wronged you is a mark of spiritual strength and confidence. When you forgive, you grow, your heart begins to heal, your back straightens up, your eyes clear so that you can see the road ahead. Anger is a spiritual sickness; but when you forgive, you live.” – Wael Abdelgawad
More lies quotes and sayings
55. “The moment you make someone promise anything is the same moment you ask them to lie to you.” – Molly Ringwald
56. “People start to lie more once they start to care less.” – Rain Cooper
57. “There are few reasons for telling the truth, but for lying the number is infinite.” – Carlos Ruiz Zafón
58. “The more you defend a lie, the angrier you become.” – Mitch Albom
59. “All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we choose to distort it.” – Woody Allen
60. “Lying is just letting people believe what they want to be true.” – Megan Whalen Turner
61. “Lies, especially the ones you want to believe , can be convincing.” – Lisa Whittle
62. “Lies are a thing of the physical world. They can’t exist in the spirit world.” – Nnedi Okorafor
63. “Lies are as dangerous as a sword. They can cut to the bone.” – Dhonielle Clayton
64. “Words can lie. See beyond them”. – Victoria Aveyard
Powerful lies quotes to contemplate on
65. “Because even if the lie is beautiful, the truth is what you face in the end.” ― Lauren DeStefano
66. “Lies aren’t answers.”
“But they sound so much better than the truth.”
― Alexandra Christo
67. “A lie, sometimes, can be truer than the truth, which is why fiction gets written.” ― Tim O’Brien
68. “I think the biggest lie the devil ever told was that beauty and goodness are the same.” ― Daniel Nayeri
69. “People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt.” ― Otto von Bismarck
70. “Given a choice between life and death, choose life. Given a choice between right and wrong, choose what’s right. And given a choice between a terrible truth and a beautiful lie, choose the truth every time.” ― Mira Grant
71. “Sometimes, some lies that spoken with high confidence could be more receptive than facts that spoken with doubt.” ― Toba Beta
72. “It seemed there was no end at all to the lies a person could tell, once she got started.” ― Kim Edwards
73. “Isn’t strength the ability to renounce every lie in your heart?” ― Bisco Hatori
74. “If what he said was the truth, it broke her heart. If what he said was a lie, it was broken anyway.” ― Christine Feehan
75. “Telling lies is a bit like tiling bathrooms – if you don’t know how to do it properly, it’s best not to try.” ― Tom Holt
Which of these lies quotes resonated with you best?
Living with the toxicity of a lie is one of the most harmful things you can do, whether you’re the liar or the person who was lied to.
The lies quotes above bring out the value of the truth, and the feeling of betrayal.
For a valuable relationship, the truth is more important than it’s ever been, and lies are all the more dangerous.
How can we move forward from a lie?
Many people feel that once they’ve been lied to, they can no longer trust the person, and the truth is, you don’t have to.
But for your own heart, forgive, you will feel lighter for it.
What did you learn from these lies quotes and sayings?
Do you have any other helpful quotes to add?
Let us know in the comment section below.
April 28, 2022 5:00 AM EST