These Joan of Arc quotes will inspire you to defy expectations and adhere to your own personal beliefs.
Joan of Arc was a teenaged peasant girl born in 15th-century France during the Hundred Years’ War. She helped lead military forces against the invading English.
Joan of Arc explained that she received holy visions that her destiny was to lead French forces to victory. Ultimately, she was captured by the English and burned at the stake for heresy, largely due to her refusal to behave according to the expectations of women at the time.
How can you learn from the story of Joan of Arc?
Joan of Arc is seen as an example of strength, leadership, faith, and integrity. Long before any concept of feminism, Joan of Arc defied expectations and adhered to her personal beliefs, despite the dangers and condemnation that came with her choices.
Browse the Joan of Arc quotes below and consider how you can apply these values to your own experience.
Don’t forget to also read these mindset quotes that will set you up for success.
Joan of Arc quotes to inspire and empower you
1. “One life is all we have and we live it as we believe in living it. But to sacrifice what you are and to live without belief, that is a fate more terrible than dying.” – Joan of Arc
2. “Act, and God will act.” – Joan of Arc
3. “Children say that people are hung sometimes for speaking the truth.” – Joan of Arc
4. “I would rather die than do something which I know to be a sin, or to be against God’s will.” – Joan of Arc
5. “Of the love or hatred God has for the English, I know nothing, but I do know that they will all be thrown out of France, except those who die there.” – Joan of Arc
6. “If I am not, may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me.” – Joan of Arc
7. “I was in my thirteenth year when I heard a voice from God to help me govern my conduct. And the first time I was very much afraid.” – Joan of Arc
8. “Since God had commanded it, it was necessary that I do it. Since God commanded it, even if I had a hundred fathers and mothers, even if I had been a King’s daughter, I would have gone nevertheless.” – Joan of Arc
9. “You say that you are my judge; I do not know if you are; but take good heed not to judge me ill, because you would put yourself in great peril.” – Joan of Arc
10. “I am not afraid… I was born to do this.” – Joan of Arc
11. “In God’s name let us go on bravely.” – Joan of Arc
12. “I was admonished to adopt feminine clothes; I refused, and still refuse. As for other avocations of women, there are plenty of other women to perform them.” – Joan of Arc
13. “All battles are first won or lost in the mind.” – Joan of Arc
14. “I am the drum on which God is beating out his message.” – Joan of Arc
15. “It is better to be alone with God. His friendship will not fail me, nor His counsel, nor His love. In His strength, I will dare and dare and dare until I die.” – Joan of Arc
You might also like these Alexander the Great quotes that will inspire you to do the impossible.
Quotes from Joan of Arc and others about faith
16. “Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light.” – Helen Keller
17. “Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
18. “If patience is worth anything, it must endure to the end of time. And a living faith will last in the midst of the blackest storm.” – Mahatma Gandhi
19. “I am still far from being what I want to be, but with God’s help I shall succeed.” – Vincent Van Gogh
20. “Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.” – Saint Augustine
21. “Faith is an oasis in the heart which will never be reached by the caravan of thinking.” – Khalil Gibran
22. “That deep emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God.” – Albert Einstein
23. “God enters by a private door into every individual.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
24. “The love of heaven makes one heavenly.” – William Shakespeare
25. “We are twice armed if we fight with faith.” – Plato
26. “Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.” – Voltaire
27. “Faith is permitting ourselves to be seized by the things we do not see.” – Martin Luther
Quotes from Joan of Arc and others about leadership
28. “A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but ought to be.” – Rosalynn Carter
29. “One of the most important things for any leader is to never let anyone else define who you are. And you define who you are. I never think of myself as being a woman CEO … I think of myself as a steward of a great institution.” – Ginni Rometty
30. “When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.” – Malala Yousafzai
31. “It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent.” – Madeleine Albright
32. “We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better.” – J.K. Rowling
33. “Be faithful in small things, because it is in them that your strength lies.” – Mother Teresa
34. “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
35. “Knowing what must be done does away with fear.” – Rosa Parks
Quotes from Joan of Arc and others about strong women
36. “Well-behaved women seldom make history.” – Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
37. “Everything is within your power, and your power is within you.” – Janice Trachtman
38. “I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day, and I believe in miracles.” – Audrey Hepburn
39. “Think like a queen. A queen is not afraid to fail. Failure is another stepping stone to greatness.” – Oprah
40. “Nothing can dim the light that shines from within.” – Maya Angelou
41.) “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand
42.) “I just love bossy women. I could be around the all day. To me, bossy is not a pejorative term at all. It means somebody’s passionate and engaged and ambitious and doesn’t mind leading.” – Amy Poehler
43. “The thing women have got to learn is that nobody gives you power, you just take it.” – Roseanne Barr
44. “Be a first-rate version of yourself, not a second-rate version of someone else.” – Judy Garland
45. “I figure, if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one.” – Calamity Jane
46. “Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” – Nora Ephron
47. “A really strong woman accepts the war she went through and is ennobled by her scars.” – Carly Simon
Quotes from Joan of Arc and others about integrity
48. “Integrity is making sure that the things you say and the things you do are in alignment.” – Katrina Mayer
49. “Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody’s going to know whether you did it or not.” – Oprah Winfrey
50. “People of integrity and honesty not only practice what they preach, they are what they preach.” – David A. Bednar
51. “One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised.” – Chinua Achebe
52. “The high road is always respected. Honesty and integrity are always rewarded.” – Scott Hamilton
53. “When you are able to maintain your own highest standards of integrity – regardless of what others may do – you are destined for greatness.” – Napoleon Hill
54. “A life lived with integrity – even if it lacks the trappings of fame and fortune is a shining star in whose light others may follow in the years to come.” – Denis Waitley
55. “Subtlety may deceive you; integrity never will.” – Oliver Cromwell
56. “Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are.” – John C. Maxwell
57. “With integrity, you have nothing to fear, since you have nothing to hide. With integrity, you will do the right thing, so you will have no guilt.” – Zig Ziglar
58. “Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
59. “Integrity has no need of rules.” – Albert Camus
60. “Integrity means that you are the same in public as you are in private.” – Joyce Meyer
How can Joan of Arc’s qualities help you overcome obstacles?
Although Joan of Arc stood out as an example of female strength and leadership, her values are a part of any successful person’s philosophy. Her strength and vision allowed her to connect with others and motivate them to follow her into battle. These qualities made Joan of Arc the quintessential leader.
Joan of Arc was also a strong proponent of the Christian faith, but anyone can learn from her moral integrity and refusal to compromise in her core beliefs, even if you don’t personally follow Christianity.
Ultimately, Joan of Arc had a code and she stuck with it. She was even executed for her beliefs but went fearlessly to her death, knowing she had lived a life of integrity. Our own lives may not lead us to such dramatic perils, but we can all take lessons from Joan of Arc.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these powerful Joan of Arc quotes? Do you have any other inspirational quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
March 25, 2020 7:01 AM EST