25 Mao Zedong Quotes About Revolution and Power
August 10, 2022 5:00 AM EST
These Mao Zedong quotes about revolution, war, and politics will make you think.
Share which quote you found the most surprising in the comments.
Mao Zedong was one of the founding fathers of the People’s Republic of China.
He led his country in a communist revolution and was the leader of the Chinese Communist Party from 1935 until his death in 1976.
Mao followed a revolutionary philosophy that was made up of Marxist, Leninist, and Stalinist convictions, but he tailored his beliefs to support the Chinese people.
His particular blend of revolutionary philosophy would become known as Maoism.
Some good that came out of Mao’s leadership was that some of his policies were beneficial to the peasants of China and his revolution achieved China’s sovereignty.
However, Mao also led an authoritarian government, the effects of which China is still dealing with today.
Don’t forget to also check out these Vladimir Lenin quotes from the Soviet leader.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Check out our entire collection of motivational quotes here.
Mao Zedong quotes on revolution
1. “To rebel is justified.” — Mao Zedong
2. “An army of the people is invincible!” — Mao Zedong
3. “You can’t be a revolutionary if you don’t eat chilies.” — Mao Zedong
4. “A people’s insurrection and a people’s revolution are not only natural but inevitable.” — Mao Zedong
5. “A revolution is an insurrection, an act of violence by which one class overthrows another.” — Mao Zedong
6. “People of the whole world, unite still more closely and launch a sustained and vigorous offensive against our common enemy, U.S. imperialism, and its accomplices!” — Mao Zedong
7. “A potential revolutionary situation exists in any country where the government consistently fails in its obligation to ensure at least a minimally decent standard of life for the great majority of its citizens.” — Mao Zedong
8. “A revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentle, so temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous.” — Mao Zedong
9. “The evil system of colonialism and imperialism arose and throve with the enslavement of Negroes and the trade in Negroes, and it will surely come to its end with the complete emancipation of the Black people.” — Mao Zedong
10. “It can be said with certainty that the complete collapse of colonialism, imperialism, and all systems of exploitation, and the complete emancipation of all the oppressed peoples and nations of the world are not far off.” — Mao Zedong
Mao quotes on war
11. “Keep the enemy in the dark about where and when our forces will attack.” — Mao Zedong
12. “War can only be abolished through war, and in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun.” — Mao Zedong
13. “Evil does not exist in guerrilla warfare but only in the unorganized and undisciplined activities that are anarchism.” — Mao Zedong
14. “The atom bomb is a paper tiger which the United States reactionaries use to scare people. It looks terrible, but in fact, it isn’t.” — Mao Zedong
15. “War, this monster of mutual slaughter among men, will be finally eliminated by the progress of human society, and in the not too distant future too.” — Mao Zedong
16. “We are advocates of the abolition of war, we do not want war, but war can only be abolished through war, and in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun. Ibid.” — Mao Zedong
17. “I call on the workers, peasants, and revolutionary intellectuals of all countries and all who are willing to fight against U.S. imperialism to take action and extend strong support to the struggle of the Black people in the United States!” — Mao Zedong
18. “This army is powerful because all its members have a conscious discipline; they have come together and they fight not for the private interests of a few individuals or a narrow clique, but for the interests of the broad masses and of the whole nation.” — Mao Zedong
Mao Zedong quotes on politics
19. “The Communist party must control the guns.” — Mao Zedong
20. “Political power grows out of the barrel of the gun.” — Mao Zedong
21. “Politics is war without blood, while war is politics with blood.” — Mao Zedong
22. “Imperialism will not last long because it always does evil things.” — Mao Zedong
23. “Communism is not love. Communism is a hammer which we use to crush the enemy.” — Mao Zedong
24. “The struggle of the Black people in the United States for emancipation is a component part of the general struggle of all the people of the world against U.S. imperialism, a component part of the contemporary world revolution.” — Mao Zedong
25. “Very many members of our family have given their lives, killed by the Kuomintang and the American imperialists. You grew up eating honey, and thus far you have never known suffering. In the future, if you do not become a rightist, but rather a centrist, I shall be satisfied. You have never suffered–how can you be a leftist?” — Mao Zedong
What did you learn from these Mao Zedong quotes?
Whether Mao Zedong was a good leader or a villain is widely debated.
Because his leadership stretched over such a long period of time and he enacted policies that are considered both “good” and “bad” by the general public, it is hard to say whether he was entirely good or bad for the people of China.
The policies enacted at the beginning of Mao’s leadership were considered progressive and supported feminism, egalitarianism, anti-imperialism, nationalism, and anti-feudalism.
However, towards the end of his leadership, Mao possibly undid all of the good he had done by becoming a power-hungry dictator.
Did you enjoy these Mao Zedong quotes and sayings?
Which quote was your favorite?
Let us know in the comments below.