If you’re a fan of English lore and fantasy, you’ll love these Merlin quotes.
Merlin is a fantasy-adventure TV series that is based on the popular English legend about Merlin and King Arthur.
This series is a reimagination of the traditional legend of young warlock Merlin who became the direct manservant of King Arthur in the Kingdom of Camelot.
Merlin soon discovers his potential as a warlock and learns the old ways of magic which he will use to serve and protect Prince Arthur. The only problem is that the practice of magic is severely forbidden throughout the kingdom.
Merin will have to keep his secret while fulfilling his prophecy and saving the kingdom alongside King Arthur. Enjoy these Merlin quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out these Lovecraft Country quotes from the dark fantasy series.
Merlin quotes from Merlin
1. “Search your heart. You know who he loves.” — Merlin
2. “I am a dragonlord, it is my sacred duty to protect the last of the dragons.” — Merlin
3. “The people believe in you Arthur, but it counts for nothing if you don’t believe in yourself” — Merlin
4. “There can be no place for magic in Camelot” — Merlin
5. “You’re threatening me with a spoon?” — Merlin
6. “I am a sorcerer, I have magic… and I use it for you Arthur, only for you.” — Merlin
7. “There is no evil in sorcery, only in the hearts of men. My request is that you remember this” — Merlin
8. “I knew you would discover my secret in the end, there is just no fooling you, my Lord.” — Merlin
9. “For once, I’m happy for someone else to take the credit. You were prepared to sacrifice your life to save me.” — Merlin
10. “My gifts mean nothing without you to guide me.” — Merlin
11. “You would think the appeal of pelting the same person with fruit would wear off after a while, but oh no.” — Merlin
12. “What, and lie to the king? No. No way. No, he’ll see right through me. He’ll have me in the stocks quicker than you can say ‘rotten tomatoes’.” — Merlin
13. “I am a terrible liar. I start sweating, my vision blurs, my brain stops working.” — Merlin
Merlin quotes from Arthur
14. “Merlin should take some of the credit, turns out he’s not always entirely stupid.” — Arthur
15. If I lose her, I lose everything.” — Arthur
16. “If you do not doubt me, Guinevere, then I do not doubt myself.” — Arthur
17. “I want to say something I’ve never said to you before… Thank you.” — Arthur
18. “Merlin is my servant and has my absolute trust. You have a problem with him you come to me. Understand?” — Arthur
19. “I don’t want you to change. I want you, to always be you.” — Arthur
20. “You need to spend less time worrying about unicorns and more time worrying about rats.” — Arthur
21. “I warn you, I’ve been trained to kill since birth.” — Arthur
22. “ I don’t like the guy but that doesn’t mean he’s cheating.” — Arthur
23. “I wouldn’t say I needed exactly saving. I’m sure I would have thought of something.” — Arthur
24. “I should have known. How could I have been so stupid? You don’t sound like a knight. You don’t even look like a knight!” — Arthur
25. “It doesn’t matter what I believe. Use of magic is not permitted. Knights must prevail with steel and sinew alone.” — Arthur
Merlin quotes from conversations between Merlin and Arthur
26. Arthur: “Are you saying I’m fat?”
Merlin: “No, I’m saying the belt is one hole shy away from perfection.”
27. Arthur: “So you’re not an idiot, that was another lie.”
Merlin: “No, just another part of my charm.”
28. Merlin: “Look at the brightside, you still got me.”
Arthur: “Is that supposed to cheer me up?”
29. Merlin: “Listen to me!”
Arthur: “You know me, Merlin, I never listen to you.”
30. Arthur: “I had no idea you were so keen to die for me.”
Merlin: “Trust me, I can hardly believe it myself.”
31. Arthur: “You think this is funny.”
32. Merlin: “I know you don’t have to listen to me.”
Arthur: “Glad we agree on something.”
33. Arthur: “Are you ever going to change, Merlin?”
Merlin: “No, you’d get bored. Promise me this, if you get another servant, don’t get a bootlicker.”
Merlin quotes from Gaius
34. “Where magic is concerned, our king is blind to reason, and yet… magic is our only hope.” — Gaius
35. “ No, Merlin, I was wrong. Lancelot needed you and you needed Lancelot. Your destinies were entwined.” — Gaius
36. “No. I didn’t do anything. You saved me and you saved Uther. Maybe you are a genius.” — Gaius
37.“I cannot stay when there’s no longer a use for me.” — Gaius
38. “ Merlin, you’re like a son to me. I never expected such a blessing so late in life.” — Gaius
39. “You can only do what you believe to be right, Merlin. I just hope it doesn’t involve putting yourself in terrible danger.” — Gaius
Merlin quotes from Lancelot
40. “When I was a boy, my village was attacked by raiders from the Northern Plains. They were slaughtered where they stood. My father, my mother, everyone. I alone escaped. I vowed that day that never again would I be helpless against the face of tyranny.” — Lancelot
41. “ I made swordcraft my life. Every waking hour since that day, I devoted to the art of combat. When I was ready, I set forth for Camelot. And now it seems my journey ends. Everything I fought for, wasted.” — Lancelot
42. “It’s my life’s ambition to join the knights of Camelot. I know what you’re thinking. I expect too much. After all, who am I? They have their pick of the best and bravest in the land.” — Lancelot
43. “Well, I’m not a knight yet, my lady.” — Lancelot
44. “The choice was mine. My punishment is mine to bear and mine to bear alone.” — Lancelot
45. “I faced it myself, sire, some days past. I struck it full square. I wondered how it endured.” — Lancelot
46. “I have no time to explain. I need weapons, armor, the best you’ve got.” — Lancelot
47. “Arthur stands in mortal peril. I must do what I can to protect him. It’s my duty, knight or not.” — Lancelot
48. “I lied to you both and now there is conflict between you. I cannot bear that burden, as you should not bear mine. I must start again, far from here, and maybe one day fate will grant me another chance to prove myself a worthy knight of Camelot.” — Lancelot
49. “You taught me the values of being a Knight, the code by which a man should live his life, to fight with honour, for justice, freedom, and all that’s good. I believe in the world you will build.” — Lancelot
50. “You know Merlin, you’re the one Arthur should knight. You’re the bravest of them all and he doesn’t even know it.” — Lancelot
Which of these Merlin quotes is your favorite?
This series gave theatrical justice to an age-old legend that surrounded the English islands for centuries. Mixed with fantasy and historical references, fans can enjoy the rich world of Merlin.
As the series dives deeper into its story and character building, you will find yourself loving the show even more.
The unlikely friendship between Merlin and King Arthur reflected how “first impressions last” are not always accurate.
Merlin and King Arthur were able to set aside their differences and personal status to unite together and fulfill their own destinies.
You can always share these Merlin quotes and sayings with someone who likes English lore and fantasy.
November 29, 2021 7:00 AM EST