These Tom Buchanan quotes show what a bad guy he really was.
Tom Buchanan is a central character in The Great Gatsby novel and movies.
Tom has been played by many actors over the years and most recently was played by Joel Edgerton in the 2013 remake.
Tom is a large, powerful, rich, and arrogant man that feels like everything is owed to him.
He is the husband of Daisy, who Gatsby falls in love with.
Tom thinks of Daisy as more of his prize than his wife.
He has had multiple affairs throughout their marriage.
Still, he will not put up with anyone else showing interest in her.
Tom is a former football player at Yale and feels he is more intelligent, stronger, and better than any men around him.
Due to his lack of self-awareness and narcissistic traits, he is a cruel man that treats others with contempt.
Check out the Tom Buchanan quotes below to learn more about this character.
Arrogant Tom Buchanan Quotes
The following collection of quotes shows the arrogance of Tom Buchanan.
1. “She is not leaving me, certainly not for a common swindler.” – Tom Buchanan
2. “You think I’m pretty dumb, don’t you?” – Tom Buchanan
3. “He thinks she goes to see her sister in New York. He’s so dumb he doesn’t know he’s alive.” – Tom Buchanan
4. “I picked him for a bootlegger the first time I saw him, and I wasn’t far wrong.” – Tom Buchanan
5. “Daisy, can’t you see who this guy is, with his house and his parties and his fancy clothes?.” – Tom Buchanan
6. “Life is something you dominate, Nick! If you’re any good.” – Tom Buchanan
7. “Did you give Nick a little heart to heart talk on the veranda?” – Tom Buchanan
8. “We’re all different from you. You see, we were born different..” – Tom Buchanan
9. “He tried to escape but wound up getting lead poisoning for his troubles.” – Tom Buchanan
10. “And what’s more, I love Daisy too. Once in a while I go off on a spree and make a fool of myself, but I always come back, and in my heart I love her all the time.” – Tom Buchanan
Tom Buchanan Quotes About how Others See Him
Tom Buchanan sees himself above all others with no faults, but that is not how everyone sees him.
11. “It was a body capable of enormous leverage—a cruel body.” – Nick Carraway
12. “It was hard to realize that a man in my own generation was wealthy enough to do that.” – Nick Carraway
13. “You’re revolting.” – Daisy
14. “Two shining arrogant eyes had established dominance over his face and gave him the appearance of always leaning aggressively forward.” – Nick Carraway
15. “I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.” – Nick Carraway
16. “Your wife doesn’t love you,’ said Gatsby. ‘She’s never loved you. She loves me.” – Gatsby
17. “Daisy’s husband, among various physical accomplishments, had been one of the most powerful ends that ever played football at New Haven.” – Nick Carraway
18. “Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone, just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.” – Nick Carraway
19. “one of those men who reach such an acute limited excellence at twenty-one that everything afterward savors of anticlimax.” – Nick Carraway
20. “They were careless people, Tom and Daisy—they smashed up things and . . . then retreated back into their money . . . and let other people clean up the mess they had made.” – Nick Carraway
When Things Are Too Easy, Don’t Let It Go To Your Head
We learn who Tom Buchanan is as a person, but how did he get that way?
He grew up ultra-rich, which afforded him special privileges, and along with his physical stature, he grew up thinking he was better than everyone else.
It is an excellent lesson to learn that just because some things might come easy, don’t let it impact the type of person you are.
Please share these Tom Buchanan quotes and sayings with your friends and family and post any comments in the comment section below.