These 50 nostalgic July quotes will bring back memories of summer vacations gone by and will remind you what you can still enjoy about the summer even now.
Close your eyes. Think about the month of July. What do you see? Fireworks bursting into spirals of color high up in the dark sky. What do you smell? Chlorine from the pool as you climb up to the top of the water slide. What do you feel? A roughness in your hands as you grasp the old tire swing rope tied to the tree in your front yard and the dirt squelching between your bare toes before you pull back to swing. What do you taste? The cool, sweet, cherry flavor of a popsicle melting in your hand while you wait for dad to finish grilling. What do you hear? Your friends calling your name from the driveway, its time to play outside.
The summer often brings back nostalgic memories of days long gone. After all, for many years, July meant long, hot days with nothing to do but to play outside. Now, it too often means nothing but more monotonous days of work. For adults, three joyous months of summer vacation is a thing of the past. But that doesn’t mean we can’t remember the good old times.
Don’t forget to also read these August quotes celebrating the Sunday of summer.
July quotes about loving summer
1. “Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability.” – Sam Keen
2. “In the old parts of Nice, the family tables are out in the cobbled streets so that you can’t drive past. They insist you join them at midnight on a hot July evening. So that’s just what you do, abandoning the car.” – Mary Quant
3. “The Summer looks out from her brazen tower, Through the flashing bars of July.” – Francis Thompson
4. “No bought potpourri is so pleasant as that made from ones own garden, for the petals of the flowers one has gathered at home hold the sunshine and memories of summer, and of past summers only the sunny days should be remembered.” – Eleanor Sinclair-Rhode
5. “Hot July brings cooling showers, Apricots and gillyflowers.” – Sara Coleridge
6. “And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.” ― F. Scott Fitzgerald
7. “If you’re not barefoot, then you’re overdressed.” – Unknown
8. “The summer night is like a perfection of thought.”- Wallace Stevens
9. “July: Just take me to the Ocean.” – Unknown
10. “If June was the beginning of a hopeful summer, and July the juice middle, August was suddenly feeling like the bitter end.” – Sarah Dessen
11. “In the old parts of Nice, the family tables are out in the cobbled streets so that you can’t drive past. They insist you join them at midnight on a hot July evening. So that’s just what you do, abandoning the car.” – Mary Quant
12. “I drifted into a summer-nap under the hot shade of July, serenaded by a cicadae lullaby, to drowsy-warm dreams of distant thunder.” –Terri Guillemets
13. “I love how summer just wraps its arms around you like a warm blanket.” ― Kellie Elmore
July quotes to relate to life
14. “But here I am in July, and why am I thinking about Christmas pudding? Probably because we always pine for what we do not have. The winter seems cozy and romantic in the hell of summer, but hot beaches and sunlight are what we yearn for all winter.” – Joanna Franklin Bell
15. “Tis now the summer of your youth: time has not cropped the roses from your cheek, though sorrow long has washed them.” – Edward Moore
16. “In June we picked the clover, and sea-shells in July: There was no silence at the door, No word from the sky. A hand came out of August and flicked his life away: We had not time to bargain, mope, Moralize, or pray.” – Cecil Day-Lewis
17. “The serene philosophy of the pink rose is steadying. Its fragrant, delicate petals open fully and are ready to fall, without regret or disillusion, after only a day in the sun. It is so every summer. One can almost hear their pink, fragrant murmur as they settle down upon the grass: ‘Summer, summer, it will always be summer.'” – Rachel Peden
18. “Do what we can, summer will have its flies.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
19. “What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.” ― John Steinbeck
20. “July, that lovely hell, all velvet dresses and drapes stuffed into a hot little hole.” – Laura Kasischke
21. “Summer will end soon enough, and childhood as well.” ― George R.R. Martin
22. “Working is bad enough in the winter, but in the summer it can become completely intolerable. Stuck in airless offices, every fiber of our being seems to cry out for freedom. We’re reminded of being stuck in double maths while the birds sing outside.”- Tom Hodgkinson
23. “He who marvels at the beauty of the world in summer will find equal cause for wonder and admiration in winter.”- John Burroughs
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of winter quotes celebrating the changes of the season.
24. “In the summer, the days were long, stretching into each other. Out of school, everything was on pause and yet happening at the same time, this collection of weeks when anything was possible.” ―Sarah Dessen
25. “My life, I realize suddenly, is July. Childhood is June, and old age is August, but here it is, July, and my life, this year, is July inside of July.” – Rick Bass
July quotes about summer romance
26. “We can’t possibly have a summer love. So many people have tried that the name’s become proverbial. Summer is only the unfulfilled promise of spring, a charlatan in place of the warm balmy nights I dream of in April. It’s a sad season of life without growth…It has no day.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of spring quotes celebrating life, love and change.
27. “A man says a lot of things in summer he doesn’t mean in winter.” ― Patricia Briggs
28. “Summer bachelors like summer breezes, are never as cool as they pretend to be.” ― Nora Ephron
29. “Why is summer mist romantic and autumn mist just sad?” – Dodie Smith
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of Autumn quotes that show the beauty of the season.
30. “I know I am but summer to your heart, and not the full four seasons of the year.” – Edna St. Vincent Millay
31. “Summer romances end for all kinds of reasons. But when all is said and done, they have one thing in common: They are shooting stars-a spectacular moment of light in the heavens, a fleeting glimpse of eternity. And in a flash, they’re gone.” – Nicholas Sparks
32. “I could taste the salt on her lips, each kiss like a summer wave breaking on an empty beach.” ― Michael Faudet
33. “A life without love is like a year without summer.” – Swedish Proverb
34. “Sweet, sweet burn of sun and summer wind, and you my friend, my new fun thing, my summer fling.” – K.D. Lang
Funny July quotes
35. “Every July, I look forward to taping a Christmas show – in July in Nashville. In 98-degree weather. I love it.” – Larry the Cable Guy
36. “Being a traditionalist, I’m a rabid sucker for Christmas. In July, I’m already worried that there are only 146 shopping days left.” – John Waters
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of funny Christmas quotes about the power of humor during the holiday.
37. “Summer vacation: where you drink triple, see double and act single.” – Unknown
38. “Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer’s day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented.”- Gilbert K. Chesterton
39. “Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it.” – Russell Baker
40. “July is a blind date with summer.” – Hal Borland
41. “A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawnmower is broken.” – James Dent
42. “A lot of parents pack up their troubles and send them off to summer camp.” – Raymond Duncan
43. “It’s a sure sign of summer if the chair gets up when you do.” – Walter Winchell
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of summer quotes to celebrate the season of outdoor exploration and fun.
July Quotes about happiness
44. “Some of the best memories are made in flip flops.” ― Kellie Elmore
45. “Tears of joy are like the summer rain drops pierced by sunbeams.”- Hosea Ballou
46. “Summer has filled her veins with light and her heart is washed with noon.”- C. Day Lewis
47. “In the long dusks of summer, we walked the suburban streets through scents of maple and cut grass, waiting for something to happen.” ―Steven Millhauser
48. “When the sun is shining, I can do anything; no mountain is too high, no trouble too difficult to overcome.” – Wilma Rudolph
49. “Rejoice as summer should…chase away sorrows by living.” ― Melissa Marr
50. “Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer’s day, listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is by no means a waste of time.”- John Lubbock
What is your favorite July memory?
July is in the middle of summer. By this time, it’s too hot to work. It’s too hot to do anything but play in the water. Take some time this July to remember what it was like to be carefree as a child. If you can, take a day off work to have some good old fashioned summertime fun.
So, whether you’re cooling off in your pool, heading for the beach or are going to really let go of your inner child and run barefoot through the sprinklers, we hope you take some time to have fun this July.
Did you enjoy these July quotes and sayings? Which quote did you like the most? Let us know in the comments below.
July 6, 2020 7:45 AM EST