Yuri Bezmenov was a Soviet journalist who lived in the twentieth century.
Bezmenov started working in the media field in the mid-1960s when he began working with the Novosti Press Agency in Moscow.
Bezmenov performed by editing propaganda in the journalism field.
Many of the people working with Bezmenov in the Novosti Press Agency were officers of the KGB, a Soviet Union security agency that operated during the twentieth century.
Part of the work Bezmenov did for the Novosti Press Agency was spreading false information to other countries for the Soviet Union.
After much of this and other Soviet Union KGB work that followed for Bezmenov, he began to turn against the Soviet Union.
Take a moment and read through our collection of Yuri Bezmenov quotes and sayings.
Check out our collection of Vladimir Lenin quotes if you enjoy this article.
Powerful Yuri Bezmenov quotes
1. “A person who was demoralized is unable to assess true information. The facts tell nothing to him.” — Yuri Bezmenov
2. “Whether I scare some people or not, I don’t give a hoot. If you’re not scared by now, nothing can scare you.” — Yuri Bezmenov
3. “My dear friends, I think you are in very big trouble. Whether you believe it or not, YOU ARE AT WAR. And you may lose this war very soon together with all your affluence and freedoms unless you start defending yourselves.” — Yuri Bezmenov
4. “Most of the American politicians, media, and educational system trains another generation of people who think they are living at the peacetime. False. United States is in a state of war: undeclared, total war against the basic principles and foundations of this system.” — Yuri Bezmenov
5. “The main emphasis of the KGB is not in the area of intelligence at all. Only about 15% of time, money, and manpower is spent on espionage and such. The other 85% is a slow process which we call either ideological subversion or active measures … or psychological warfare.” — Yuri Bezmenov
6. “What it basically means is: to change the perception of reality of every American to such an extent that despite of the abundance of information, no one is able to come to sensible conclusions in the interest of defending themselves, their families, their community, and their country.” — Yuri Bezmenov
7. “They are programmed to think and react to certain stimuli in a certain pattern. You can not change their mind even if you expose them to authentic information. Even if you prove that white is white and black is black, you still can not change the basic perception and the logic of behavior.” — Yuri Bezmenov
8. “People all over the Earth, whether they praise America or bitterly criticize her, look upon you as the only hope for mankind’s survival and the last stronghold of freedom. Some may not think in these idealistic terms, but they certainly enjoy the fruits of your civilization, often forgetting to be grateful for them.” — Yuri Bezmenov
9. “As I mentioned before, exposure to true information does not matter anymore. A person who is demoralized is unable to assess true information. The facts tell him nothing. Even if I shower him with information, with authentic proof, with documents and pictures. … he will refuse to believe it… That’s the tragedy of the situation of demoralization.” — Yuri Bezmenov
10. “For example, your leftists in the United States: all these professors and all these beautiful civil rights defenders. They are instrumental in the process of the subversion only to destabilize a nation. When their job is completed, they are not needed any more. They know too much. Some of them, when they get disillusioned, when they see that Marxist-Leninists come to power—obviously, they get offended—they think that they will come to power. That will never happen, of course. They will be lined up against the wall and shot.” — Yuri Bezmenov
What did you learn from these Yuri Bezmenov quotes?
In 1970, Bezmenov left the Soviet Union secretly after about five years of propaganda work for the Novosti Press Agency.
Bezmenov ended up living in Canada after defecting, and he got a job with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in 1973.
However, he was fired in 1976 after Pierre Elliot Trudeau, the prime minister of Canada at the time, got a phone call from the Soviet ambassador to Canada.
However, this did not stop Bezmenov’s work in journalism since he then went on to do work in freelance journalism and even moved to Los Angeles in the 1980s.
Bezmenov was the author of four books, including the book Love Letter to America, which he wrote under the name Tomas D. Schuman.
He died of a heart attack in 1993.
What did you learn from these Yuri Bezmenov quotes and sayings?
Let us know in the comments section below.
January 17, 2023 4:08 AM EST