If you or a friend are having trouble dealing with loss, these A Monster Calls quotes are perfect to read.
A Monster Calls is a young adult fantasy novel written by Patrick Ness and illustrated by Jim Kay.
The book is an original idea from Siobhan Dowd, who came up with the idea when she was terminally ill with cancer.
You might also like these related articles:
A Monster Calls was published in 2011 by Walker, and the story is set in England.
The book won multiple awards and was adapted into a film of the same name in 2016.
Dealing with the loss of a loved one is difficult for people of any age, but especially for young people, and this book helps bring comfort and closure.
Take a look at these A Monster Calls quotes and see if any of them apply to you.
Best A Monster Calls Quotes
Here are a few top lines from the novel.
1. “Belief is half of all healing.” — Patrick Ness
2. “He was inside the nightmare.” — Patrick Ness
3. “Stories don’t always have happy endings.” — Patrick Ness
4. “‘Don’t be stupid,’ he told himself. ‘You’re too old for monsters.’” — Patrick Ness
5. “Don’t think you haven’t lived long enough to have a story to tell.” — Patrick Ness
6. “She said she was getting better because that’s what I wanted to hear.” — Patrick Ness
7. “You do not write your life with your words… You write it with actions.” — Patrick Ness
8. “Your mind will believe comforting lies while also knowing the painful truths that make those lies necessary.” — Patrick Ness
9. “And here was a man who lived on belief, but who sacrificed it at the first challenge, right when he needed it most.” — Patrick Ness
10. “There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between.” — Patrick Ness
A Monster Calls Quotes From and About Conor
Here are a few quotes about the main character.
11. “Conor was no longer invisible. They all saw him now.” — Patrick Ness
12. “Conor held tightly onto his mother. And by doing so, he could finally let her go.” — Patrick Ness
13. “You’re as old as the land, and you’ve never heard of sarcasm?” — Patrick Ness
14. “But how do you fight it?” Conor asked, his voice rough. “How do you fight all the different stuff inside?” — Patrick Ness
15. “The blackness was wrapping itself around Conor’s eyes now, plugging his nose and overwhelming his mouth.” — Patrick Ness
16. “When Conor started having that nightmare, that’s when Harry noticed him like a secret mark had been placed on him that only Harry could see.” — Patrick Ness
17. “Conor could feel the monster close behind him, knew that it was kneeling, knew that it was putting its face up to his ear to whisper into in, to tell him the rest of the story.” — Patrick Ness
A Monster Calls Quotes From the Monster
These words below are from the monster in the story.
18. “The monster smiled. It was a ghastly sight.” — Patrick Ness
19. “The monster showed up just after midnight. As they do.” — Patrick Ness
20. “Sometimes people need to lie to themselves most of all.” — Patrick Ness
21. “I am the spine that the mountains hang upon! I am the tears that the rivers cry!” — Patrick Ness
22. “‘If you speak the truth,’ the monster whispered in his ear, ‘you will be able to face whatever comes.’” — Patrick Ness
23. “‘The justifications of men who kill should always be heard with skepticism,’ said the monster.” — Patrick Ness
24. “You know that your truth, the one that you hide, Conor O’Malley, is the thing you are most afraid of.” — Patrick Ness
25. “‘You think I tell you stories to teach you lessons?’ the monster said. ‘You think I have come walking out of time and earth itself to teach you a lesson in niceness?’” — Patrick Ness
What is the Plot of the A Monster Calls?
The book’s plot follows thirteen-year-old Conor, whose mother is dying of cancer.
Conor struggles to cope with this, but in the book, a “monster” visits him and tells him stories each night.
Finally, Conor must tell his story, and in his story, he ends up letting his mother go to ease her pain and let his life continue.
Share these A Monster Calls quotes with your friends and family, and share your favorite in the comment section below.