Aaron Burr Quotes to Power Up Your Political Wisdom
April 24, 2023 5:05 AM EST
If you are in search of Aaron Burr quotes, we have got you covered.
In this article, we have provided you with the most popular quotes by Aaron Burr.
Apart from the quotes, we also discuss Aaron Burr as a Political enthusiast.
So, without any delay, let’s dive in!
A Brief Introduction to Aaron Burr
Aaron Burr is a popular figure in American History who served as a U.S. Senator and an American Vice President.
He was a controversial individual known to have killed Alexander Hamilton.
For a more detailed view of his life and legacy, here are some of the aspects you would love to know.
- Initial Life & Political Career
- Controversial Aspects of Burr’s Life
- Political Life After Controversy
Initial Life & Political Career
Burr was born in New Jersey in 1756 and was the son of a Presbyterian minister.
He studied at the College of New Jersey.
After studying law in Connecticut, he started practicing law in New York City in 1783.
Soon, he gained popularity as a skillful attorney.
His political career started in 1791 after he was elected as a U.S. Senator.
In 1796, he participated in the elections for Vice President.
He lost this election to Thomas Jefferson.
But in 1800, Burr was eventually elected as a U.S. Vice President.
Controversial Aspects of Burr’s Life
Aaron Burr’s tenure as Vice President was a controversial one.
The most noteworthy of all was his strong rivalry with Alexander Hamilton.
These two had a long-standing feud, which reached its height in 1804.
It was the time when Hamilton accused Burr of not being fit to hold a public office.
On July 11, 1804, Burr challenged Hamilton to a duel.
This duel led to the fatality of Hamilton after a brutal fight with Burr.
Burr was charged with murder but acquitted.
Political Life After Controversy
After the death of Hamilton, Burr spent years traveling from one European country to another.
In 181, he returned to the United States and tried to start a new political party.
He also planned to launch a military expedition and seize an area located in the American Southwest.
He was arrested and charged with treason in 1807 for planning to make a new nation in the Southwest area.
Although Burr was acquitted, this scandal strongly damaged his reputation.
The last days of Burr’s life were spent in private practice.
He occasionally dabbled in politics as well as writing.
He left the world in 1836 at the age of 80.
Apart from his controversial legacy, Burr was an intriguing American figure.
He was a politically ambitious person with a complex personality.
Top 5 Aaron Burr Quotes
Here are the top five Aaron Burr quotes you will like to check out.
1. “Go West, young man.” — Aaron Burr
2. “Slander has slain more than the sword.” — Aaron Burr
3. “Everything wears out; you will wear out.” — Aaron Burr
4. “Let the Judge take care to find a seat for himself.” — Aaron Burr
5. “Men are fit to educate nothing but horses and dogs.” — Aaron Burr
Aaron Burr Quotes About Life
Aaron Burr’s quotes show many aspects of life deeply. Some quotes about life are given below.
6. “The rule of my life is to make the business a pleasure, and pleasure my business.” — Aaron Burr
7. “I live my life as I deem appropriate and fitting; I offer no apologies, no explanations.” — Aaron Burr
8. “I carry on with my life as I consider suitable and fitting; I offer no expressions of remorse, no clarifications.” — Aaron Burr
9. “The day yesterday was fine spring weather. The atmosphere is tolerably clear. I rode outside to enjoy the beauty of the scenery.” — Aaron Burr
10. “Would to God that I did stand on the same ground with every other man! This is the first time that I have been permitted to enjoy the rights of a citizen.” — Aaron Burr
Aaron Burr Quotes that Include Positive Messages
The following section contains quotes with positive messages and valuable advice from Aaron Burr.
11. “Blunder frequently is to be wanted to hesitation.” — Aaron Burr
12. “How easily one receives advice when it concurs with one’s wishes!” — Aaron Burr
13. “Never do today what you can do tomorrow. Something may occur to make you regret your premature action.” — Aaron Burr
14. “Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow. Delay may give clearer light as to what is best to be done.” — Aaron Burr
15. “Went to bed last night full of penitence and contrition and promising you any number of times that I would never do again.” — Aaron Burr
Meaningful Aaron Burr Quotes
These Aaron Burr quotes give profound insights on politics, leadership, and life, highlighting his wisdom and intelligence.
16. “Error often is to be preferred to indecision.” — Aaron Burr
17. “Law is whatever is boldly asserted and plausibly maintained.” — Aaron Burr
18. “We cannot control necessity, though we often persuade ourselves that certain things are our choice when in truth we have been unavoidably impelled to them.” — Aaron Burr
19. “When a man takes time to consider whether he will do a good or civil action, be assured he will never do it. The baser feelings, the calculations of interest and timidity, always prevail…” — Aaron Burr
20. “It is vain to desire them to knock; they do not comprehend you, and if they do, pay no manner of attention to it. It took me six weeks to teach my old Anna not to come in without knocking and leave, and finally, it was only by appearing to get into a most violent passion and threatening to blow out her brains, which she had not the least doubt I would do without ceremony.” — Aaron Burr
Fascinating Aaron Burr Quotes
The following list of quotes fascinates the readers, and they will surely like to share these quotes with their friends.
21. “I found her dressed superbly and with much taste. We played chess. I won. She played me some airs quite prettily on the harp.” — Aaron Burr
22. “Vile country, destitute of springs and running water–think of drinking the nasty puddle-water, covered with green scum, and full of animalcular–bah!” — Aaron Burr
23. “In New York, I am to be disenfranchised, and in New Jersey hanged. You will not…conclude that I have become disposed to submit tamely to the machinations of a banditti.” — Aaron Burr
24. “A bed with very dirty sheets, to which I objected; but the maid assured me, upon her honor, that they were very clean, and that she put them on herself. So I am bound to think them clean; but shall, nevertheless, not undress.” — Aaron Burr
25. “Miss Mallet. The most rational being I have seen. Staid a whole hour and was greatly pleased with her. Good breeding and social talents in a degree are very rare. Why don’t I go there oftener? Because I do nothing that I wish or intend.” — Aaron Burr
Which of these Aaron Burr Quotes is your Favorite?
After going through our list of the best Aaron Burr quotes, you might have a better understanding of his legacy.
All these quotes are authentic and relevant, offering you a chance to look for your favorite Aaron Burr quote.
Besides, sharing these quotes with your friends and family would be appropriate.
This will help others to know more about Aaron Burr, an intriguing figure in American History.