If you’re tired of the same old television shows, you’ll be refreshed by these Atypical quotes.
The television show Atypical follows the story of Sam Gardner. He is an 18-year old man with autism who is working to navigate life and life transitions along with his family.
The show was commended for addressing some of the common life situations that families experience when they have a family member with autism.
The show originally began running in 2017 and ran for four seasons.
Along with putting autism into the show, as you’ll see in these Atypical quotes, the reviews of the show also helped to get people talking about the impact of autism and its depiction in Hollywood.
Don’t forget to also check out these Designated Survivor quotes that make politics entertaining in a good way.
Atypical quotes by Sam
1. “Whoever said practice makes perfect was an idiot. Humans can’t be perfect because we’re not machines. The best thing you can say about practice is that it makes…better.” ― Sam
2. “Those are three of my least favorite things. Oh, and eating raisins because I don’t like to eat things with wrinkles.” ― Sam
3. “I don’t like getting in water that people have touched.” ― Sam
4. “His eyebrows were huge, like he was an arthropod using them as a tactile sensory appendage.” ― Sam
5. “Autism isn’t an accomplishment. It’s something I was born with. You wouldn’t write an essay about having ten fingers and ten toes, would you? No, because that would be really, really, really, really dumb. So I’ll stick with the boobs.” ― Sam
6. “When I’m stressed, I recite the four species of Antarctic penguin. Adelie, Chinstrap, Emperor and Gentoo. It helps. Mom taught me when I was little. You should try it next time you think you’re dying. Except if you really are dying, it won’t help at all.” ― Sam
7. “I hate touching the pens at the bank. That’s not really a question. That’s just something I thought you should know.” ― Sam
8. “Hi, it’s Sam, Sam Gardner? I had a plain turkey sandwich today that had very stale bread, and I had nothing to wash it down with. It was an aggravating lunch. Also, I got hit by a car. It was slow-moving, so I’m fine. Okay.” ― Sam
9. “Zahid is the most stylish person I know. Sometimes he wears two watches.” ― Sam
10. “She didn’t even mind when I locked her in my closet. That seems special and rare.” ― Sam
11. “I’m not ready to take the D-train to Bonetown.” ― Sam
Atypical quotes by Zahid
12. “They’re not just brownies, Samuel. They’re pot brownies and pot is a vegetable. Cousin of cauliflower, stepbro of sage. You know, on a proper nutritional pyramid, dank chronic is the bottom floor.” ― Zahid
13. “Relax, chipmunk. It’s going to be okay.” ― Zahid
14. “You’re very welcome. Look, I know you’re scared about where to go to college, but cuddle up and listen to papa. Life always works out. Usually.” ― Zahid
15. “These are my poop shoes. That way no one knows it’s me in the bathroom cause they don’t see my shoes under the stall.” ― Zahid
16. “Why are you wrapped up like a skinny white burrito?” ― Zahid
17. “Look, you got me a lollipop so I’m trying to be nice, but, dude, I can’t believe you were dumb enough to entrust your hard-earned cabbage to a corrupt government-backed bank. FDIC? More like, FDI-see you later, money.” ― Zahid
18. “Oh, you’re cool, bro. You’re as cool as a pickle in the freezer.” ― Zahid
19. “Name’s Zahid. Starts with a Z, ends with a beautiful friendship?” ― Zahid
20. “Hey, now, let’s not get hysterical, alright? I mean, finger loss is an abnormal result of lying.” ― Zahid
21. “Two times a year I’ll wear a pair of my dad’s underwear to remind myself why I’m not a tighty-whitey guy. And why he’s always so grumpy.” ― Zahid
22. Sir, I’ve got to handle this. Any other nerd in a blue shirt can help you. ― Zahid
Atypical quotes by Casey
23. ” If you lie and pretend that you like them, you’re fine. But if you tell them the truth,you get fired, you can’t afford food, and you get shanked for cutting in line at the soup kitchen. And then you die.” ― Casey
24. ” I learned everything I know from the dark lord herself – mom.” ― Casey
25. “Why do villains always have cats?” ― Casey
26. “We can stay in here forever if you want. We can pee in the can, do college classes online. We can, you know, get old here and get a couple cats.” ― Casey
27. “This place is impossible. The classes are hard. The toilets are, like, hidden. What is a convenience point? What’s wrong with real money? You Clayton people too delicate to touch actual cash? I’ve been surviving off of granola bars and peanuts I found in my pocket.” ― Casey
28. Oh, cool. I just never knew I was dumb.” ― Casey
29.”We thought my dad had a heart attack. Turns out it was just a panic attack caused by my mom being a tramp.” ― Casey
30. “The school bell sounds like an elf hitting a tiny triangle, which, at first I thought was soothing, but then it gets really creepy.” ― Casey
31. “I’m still starving. Frankie talked me into ordering the quinoa bowl. I feel like I just ate two pounds of air.” ― Casey
32. “Gawd, I need to bleach my ears.” ― Casey
Atypical quotes by Doug
33. “I bet you these people eat cashews. You know cashews is the rich man’s nut.” ― Doug
34. Doug: “How does Zahid have your phone number?”
Elsa: “I gave it to him in case of emergencies. But he just uses it to send me selfies when he’s bored.”
35. “I made this igloo. You like this? Pretty good, right? I even used the stuffing from Paige’s murdered penguin as a snow base. I’m gonna go stand by it and make sure no bozos spill punch on it.” ― Doug
36. “I folded your shirts, but I’m not touching the under stuff.” ― Doug
37. “I can’t believe it. She was so small and wrinkly as an infant. She looked like a baked potato that was microwaved too long.” ― Doug
Atypical quotes by Elsa
38. Don’t you just love zucchini bread? It’s like cake with vegetables” ― Elsa
39. “I’m pretty sure growing up, I was encouraged to lie. You know, to be polite when I was actually uncomfortable. To not say what I was actually thinking. So it’s ironic then that I have a son who says what he’s thinking and who has practically no ability to be fake.” ― Elsa
40. “I drafted a really strongly worded email to the chief of police and every other important person that I could think of, including Oprah.” ― Elsa
41. “We’ll just find you someone else, someone with more reasonable eyebrows.” ― Elsa
Atypical quotes by Paige
42. “You know what’s not in [this box]? My virginity! Yeah! Which you were gonna get, by the way. But now you’re not. I’ll probably end up doing it with the first guy in college with a British accent. So thanks for that!” ― Paige
43. “Maine is so beautiful. It’s just like Stephen King described it, minus the scary sewer clowns.” ― Paige
44. “Sam, I gotta go. It’s family rap night and the hip hop Hardaways are performing Hamilton. I’m playing all three sisters so it’s a lot.” ― Paige
45. “Oh my gosh, I just got out of a yearbook meeting. No one could decide on a font. And I’m sorry, but Helvetica? Gross. We are way better than that.” ― Paige
46. “Rule number one: We don’t hold hands. We don’t hold books. We don’t hold anything. Well, except for each other – when I say that we can. Okay, we don’t discuss feelings, crushes, or finances. Oh! And our weekends are our own. If we happen to be eating lunch together or studying together, sit across the table from each other, not side by side like the French. But we do kiss like the French. ” ― Paige
47. “You will not believe what happened. I was practicing my valedictorian speech in my nightly bubble bath and let’s just say my note cards were involved in a vision candle accident. Really lucky I was in water. But anyway, now I have to rewrite them all from scratch. And buy a laminator.” ― Paige
Atypical quotes by Sam
48. “In the beginning of a journey, no one knows what to expect. They might have a vague idea the road ahead could be rough. That’s what makes new beginnings so exciting. You don’t know what will happen until it’s over.” ― Sam
49. “Beginnings can be painful. But that doesn’t mean they’re bad.” ― Sam
50. Sam: “They think I’m weird.”
Zahid: “You are weird. So what? The French eat snails, and that’s weird as hell. But you know they’re getting laid.”
Which of these Atypical quotes is your favorite?
After the first season, people were commending the show for focusing on the life of a person with autism.
However, critics also jumped on the lack of involvement of real-life people living with autism.
There were also critiques saying that the actions and behaviors were too stereotypical for those living with autism.
However, there was a pivot made before the second season. They added writers and actors with autism into the mix.
This was well received by critics and the audience. Additional changes such as these continued to be made going throughout the rest of the seasons.
If you enjoyed these Atypical quotes and lines and are ready to watch something with a different focus from the same stories that are always repeated on the streaming platforms, give this show a try.
September 9, 2021 7:00 AM EST