Check out these Chuck Close quotes to learn more about the successful and well-known artist.
Charles “Chuck” Close was an American artist who was a skilled painter and photographer and was best known for his large-scale photorealist portraits.
You might also like these related articles:
He was born in Monroe, Washington, in 1940 and died in Oceanside, New York, in 2021 at the age of 81.
Close grew up with a condition that made it difficult to lift his feet and struggled in school due to dyslexia.
He learned that a way for him to excel was by painting large portraits based on photographs of family and friends.
After attending college at the University of Washington, he attended Yale University for his Master’s degree in Music and Art.
Take a look at these Chuck Close quotes to learn more about the famous artist.
Top 10 Chuck Close Quotes
Enjoy some of the top quotes from Chuck Close.
1. “Art saved my life.” — Chuck Close
2. “A face is a roadmap of someone’s life.” — Chuck Close
3. “Every child should have a chance to feel special.” — Chuck Close
4. “Painting is the frozen evidence of a performance.” — Chuck Close
5. “Far more interesting than problem-solving is problem creation.” — Chuck Close
6. “Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive.” — Chuck Close
7. “I’m very learning-disabled, and I think it drove me to what I’m doing.” — Chuck Close
8. “Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work.” — Chuck Close
9. “Ease is the enemy of the artist. When things get too easy, you’re in trouble.” — Chuck Close
10. “There are so many artists that are dyslexic or learning disabled; it’s just phenomenal.” — Chuck Close
Chuck Close Quotes About Art
Learn more about Chuck Close’s thoughts on art.
11. “All the fingerprint paintings are done without a grid.” — Chuck Close
12. “It’s always a pleasure to talk about someone else’s work.” — Chuck Close
13. “I only have so much time and energy and money, and I’m going to put it into my work.” — Chuck Close
14. “You don’t have to have a great art idea—just get to work, and something will happen.” — Chuck Close
15. “I think the problem with the arts in America is how unimportant it seems to be in our education system.” — Chuck Close
16. “If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightening to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work.” — Chuck Close
17. “I like wrinkles and crow’s feet and flaws, and somebody should know, if I’m going to photograph them, that’s going to show up, you know?” — Chuck Close
18. “Part of the joy of looking at art is getting in sync in some ways with the decision-making process that the artist used and the record that’s embedded in the work.” — Chuck Close
Inspirational Chuck Close Quotes
Find inspiration and motivation in the following quotes from the artist.
19. “A quilt may take a year, but if you just keep doing it, you get a quilt.” — Chuck Close
20. “Never let anyone define what you are capable of by using parameters that don’t apply to you.” — Chuck Close
21. “If you are by nature an optimistic person, which I am, that puts you in a better position to be lucky in life.” — Chuck Close
22. “The worst possible thing in the world can happen to you, and you will overcome it. You will be happy again.” — Chuck Close
23. “In life, you can be dealt a winning hand of cards, and you can find a way to lose, and you can be dealt a losing hand and find a way to win.” — Chuck Close
24. “You don’t have to reinvent the wheel every day. Today you will do what you did yesterday, and tomorrow you will do what you did today.” — Chuck Close
25. “Most people are good at too many things. And when you say someone is focused, more often than not, what you actually mean is they’re very narrow.” — Chuck Close
Chuck Close’s Personal Life
In 1988 Close became paralyzed and had to adapt his painting style as a result, but he continued his successful artistic career.
Close was married and divorced twice and had two daughters with his first wife, Leslie Rose.
He was diagnosed with dementia in 2015 and died in 2021 from heart failure.
Let us know your favorite quote in the comments, and share these Chuck Close quotes with others by clicking the share button!