If you were a fan of the series, you’ll love these Downton Abbey Quotes.
Downton Abbey is one of the best, fan-favorite British drama series. Set in the early 20th century, this historical drama is set in the Yorkshire country estate, a fictional location, between 1912 and 1926. The story revolves around the Crawley family and their servants.
The Crawleys belong to the aristocratic families of the post-Edwardian era who dealt with various historical events during the time.
During its six seasons, Downton Abbey touched on significant events that happened and shaped the British social landscape. These include the sinking of the Titanic, a significant event that shaped the onset of the series, the Spanish influenza pandemic, the Irish War of Independence, and many others.
With famous British stars depicting various characters in the series, many fans loved their distinct charms, the aristocratic life, and how the series valued loving relationships.
Through its scenes, viewers were able to see how ladies and lords deal and maintain relationships with their servants, butlers, and other working men.
It educated many viewers of the lives of the aristocrats and drew them into the story, leaving them wanting more as you’ll see in these Downton Abbey quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these Freedom Writers quotes about breaking societal boundaries.
Downton Abbey quotes from Lady Violet Crawley
1. “I’m a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose.” — Lady Violet Crawley
2. “I don’t dislike him. I just don’t like him. Which is quite different.” — Lady Violet Crawley
3. “All this unbridled joy has given me quite an appetite.” — Lady Violet Crawley
4. “I agree – hope is a tease, designed to prevent us accepting reality” — Lady Violet Crawley
5. “Life is a game, where the player must appear ridiculous.” — Lady Violet Crawley
6. “Vulgarity is no substitute for wit.” — Lady Violet Crawley
7. “Never complain, never explain.” — Lady Violet Crawley
8. “Every woman goes down the aisle with half the story hidden.” — Lady Violet Crawley
9. “What simpletons men are.” — Lady Violet Crawley
10. “The heart does not exist solely for the purpose to pump blood.” — Lady Violet Crawley
11. “First electricity, now telephones. Sometimes I feel as if I were living in an H.G. Wells novel.” — Lady Violet Crawley
12. “I have plenty of friends I don’t like.” — Lady Violet Crawley
13. “No guest should be admitted without the date of their departure settled.” — Lady Violet Crawley
14. “At my age, one must ration one’s excitement.” — Lady Violet Crawley
15. “Is this an instrument of communication or torture?” — Lady Violet Crawley
Downton Abbey quotes from Lady Mary Crawley
16. “It’s easy to be generous when you have nothing to lose.” — Lady Mary Crawley
17. “Haven’t you heard? I don’t have a heart. Everyone knows that.” — Lady Mary Crawley
18. “You know my character, Father. I’d never marry any man that I was told to. I’m stubborn. I wish I wasn’t, but I am.” — Lady Mary Crawley
19. “I hope you know that really smart people sleep in separate rooms.” — Lady Mary Crawley
20. “You’re American, you don’t understand these things.” — Lady Mary Crawley
21. “All alone with plenty of money and a house in Eton Square. I can’t imagine anything better.” — Lady Mary Crawley
22. “I never know which is worse. The sorrow when you hit the bird. Or the shame when you miss it.” — Lady Mary Crawley
Downton Abbey quotes from Edith Crawley
23. “How comforting it is that there really are a few good people left in the world.” — Edith Crawley
24. “I love him. I’d accept him in a trice if it weren’t for Marigold.” — Edith Crawley
Downton Abbey quotes from Anna
25. “Downton Abbey is the heart of this community. And you’re keeping it beating.” — Anna Bates
26. “I’d rather have the right man, than the right wedding.” — Anna
27. “Good men… They’re not like buses. There won’t be another one round in 10 minutes.” — Anna
Downton Abbey quotes from Matthew Crawley
28. “I will love you until the last breath leaves my body.” — Matthew Crawley
29. “War has a way of distinguishing between the things that matter and the things that don’t.” — Matthew Crawley
Downton Abbey quotes from Robert Crawley
30. “Every mountain is unclimbable until someone climbs it. So every ship is unsinkable until it sinks.” — Robert Crawley
31. “A shy royal? Is that an oxymoron?” — Robert Crawley
Downton Abbey quotes from Dowager Countess
32. “I hope your standards are not so high as to prevent you from remaining in my employment.” — Dowager Countess
33. “In my day, a lady was incapable of feeling physical attraction until she had been instructed to do so by her mama.” — Dowager Countess
34. “A woman of my age can face reality better than most men.” — Dowager Countess
35. “Principles are like prayers; noble, of course, but awkward at a party.” — The Dowager Countess
Downton Abbey quotes from Carson
36. “The nature of life is not permanence, but flux.” — Carson
37. “We must always travel in hope.” — Carson
Downton Abbey quotes from Lord Grantham
38. “My dear fellow. We all have chapters we would rather keep unpublished.” — Lord Grantham
39. “There is nothing more ill-bred than trying to steal the affections of one’s dog.” — Lord Grantham
Downton Abbey quotes from Mrs. Hughes
40. “My advice, Daisy, is to go as far in life as God and luck allow.” — Mrs. Hughes
41. “O, heavens, girl. You’re building a fire, not inventing it.” — Mrs. Hughes
Downton Abbey quotes from Mrs. Patmore
42. “Sympathy butters no parsnips.” — Mrs. Patmore
43. “Nothing in life is sure.” — Mrs. Patmore
Downton Abbey quotes from Lady Grantham
44. “You are being tested. You know what they say darling, being tested only makes you stronger.” — Lady Grantham
45. “Of course it would happen to a foreigner. No Englishman would dream of dying in someone else’s house.” — Lady Grantham
Downton Abbey quotes from other characters
46. “Seems a pity not to take a chance to end a quarrel. Isn’t it better than to let it fester?” — Isobel Crawley
47. “We’re modern folk.” — Bertie Pelham
48. “It’s the gloomy things that need our help. If everything in the garden is sunny, why meddle?” — Lady Sybil Crawley
50. “Love is like riding or speaking French: if you don’t learn it young, it’s hard to get the trick of it later.” — Hugh ‘Shrimpie’ MacClare, Marquess of Flintshire
Which of these Downton Abbey quotes is your favorite?
Downton Abbey has been a popular series due to how it mirrored the identity and heritage of England and how its people dealt with history, culture, traditions, and events unfolding.
The drama series even received awards and positive reviews from television critics. It has won the Golden Globe Award for Best Miniseries or Television Film as well as the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Miniseries or Movie.
Downton Abbey was also listed in the Guinness World Records for being the sole drama series that has received the most nominations and positive reviews throughout its seasons.
Although it ended in 2015 after six seasons, Downton Abbey remained a favorite of many binge-watchers. Its stardom even resulted in a film adaptation in 2019 with a sequel in the works, proving that it really captured many TV fans and moviegoers not only in England but worldwide.
Enjoy the story again and again with these Downton Abbey quotes and sayings.
November 13, 2021 7:00 AM EST