Explore the “after life” with these The Good Place quotes.
The Good Place is a fantasy comedy series that aired in September 2016.
It followed the story of Eleanor Shellstrop who recently died and was sent to a Utopia, called the Good Place, which is similar to Heaven and filled with good people.
The good place serves as a reward for people who are righteous and exceptionally good while they are on earth.
Unfortunately, Eleanor found out that she was sent there by accident and she was never really fit to be in the Good Place.
Now, in the unexpected turn of events, she will have to try her best to hide her true morality and strive to become an ethical and good person in order to stay.
While you browse the next show to watch, these The Good Place quotes will make you laugh and smile.
Don’t forget to also check out these Black Widow quotes for strong women.
Check out our most popular quote article, a list of short inspirational quotes for daily inspiration.
Our inspirational quotes category page has all of our motivational quotes for all the different areas of life.
The Good Place quotes by Michael
1. “Come on, you know how this works. You fail and then you try something else. And you fail again and again, and you fail a thousand times, and you keep trying because maybe the 1,001st idea might work. Now, I’m gonna and try to find our 1,001st idea.” — Michael
2. “Don’t worry, demons can’t die. He’ll slowly re-form himself over a few months, passing through all the stages of demon growth. Larvae, slug monster, spooky little girl, teenaged boy, giant ball of tongues, social media CEO, and then finally demon.” — Michael
3. “What matters isn’t if people are good or bad. What matters is, if they’re trying to be better today than they were yesterday. You asked me where my hope comes from? That’s my answer.” — Michael
4. “The point is, people improve when they get external love and support. How can we hold it against them when they don’t?” — Michael
5. “If soulmates do exist, they’re not found. They’re made.” — Michael
6. “You said that every human is a little bit sad all the time, because you know you’re going to die. But that knowledge is what gives life meaning.” — Michael
7. “That’s what makes it special. I won’t exactly know what’s going to happen after I die. Nothing more human than that. Besides texting people that you’re five minutes away when you haven’t even left the house.” — Michael
8. “I’ll say this to you, my friend, with all the love in my heart and all the wisdom of the universe. Take it sleazy.” — Michael
9. “Sometimes, when you’re feeling helpless, the secret is to help someone else. Get out of your own head. Trust me. The next time someone asks for help, say yes.” — Michael
10. “I tried to script your whole afterlife. And I devised a million-point plan to torture you. You made choices I never saw coming. I call that free will.” — Michael
11. “We have no plan. No one’s coming to save us. So… I’m going to do it.” — Michael
12. “Any place or thing in the universe can be up to 104% perfect. That’s how you got Beyoncé.” — Michael
The Good Place quotes by Eleanor Shellstrop
13. “Why do bad things always happen to mediocre people who are lying about their identities?” — Eleanor Shellstrop
14. “Our fates are sealed. But I think we have one move left: We can try.” — Eleanor Shellstrop
15. “We do nothing. We hope that our early successes make up for the embarrassing mess we’ve become. Like Facebook. Or America.” — Eleanor Shellstrop
16. “Tahani improved so much over her many lives, but she also helped me improve. She taught me lots of stuff, like, bras shouldn’t be painful, and you don’t buy bras at Home Depot, and they don’t SELL bras at Home Depot, what the hell are you wearing?” — Eleanor Shellstrop
17. “I’m not just gonna sit back and turn into some slack-jawed, sweatpants-wearing orgasm machine! Oh my god, I’m describing my dream existence like it’s bad, what is wrong with this place?” — Eleanor Shellstrop
18. “The wave returns to the ocean. What the ocean does with the water after that is anyone’s guess. But as a very wise not-robot once told me, true joy is in the mystery.” — Eleanor Shellstrop
19. “I guess all I can do is embrace the pandemonium, find happiness in the unique insanity of being here, now.” — Eleanor Shellstrop
20. “I guess ‘try and enjoy this’ is a better plan than ‘have the anxiety sweats.’” — Eleanor Shellstrop
The Good Place quotes by Jason Mendoza
21. “In football, trying to run out the clock and hoping for the best never works. It’s called “prevent defense.” You don’t take any chances and just try and hold on to your lead. But prevent defense just PREVENTS you from winning! It’s always better to try something.” — Jason Mendoza
22. “I have no idea what’s going on right now but everyone else is talking and I think I should too!” — Jason Mendoza
23. “Where I’m from, most things blow up eventually. So I learned that when something dope comes along, you gotta lock it down! If you’re always frozen in fear and taking too long to figure out what to do, you’ll miss your opportunity, and maybe get sucked into the propeller of a swamp boat.” — Jason Mendoza
24. “Okay homies, you’re sad. I can tell ’cause you have the same looks on your faces that my teachers did whenever I raised my hand in class. But let’s be happy.” — Jason Mendoza
25. “It wasn’t like I heard a bell ring or anything. I just suddenly had this calm feeling, like the air inside my lungs was the same as the air outside my body. It was peaceful.” — Jason Mendoza
26. “I can’t believe Michael betrayed us again, why is it always the ones you most expect?” — Jason
27. “We’re refugees. What kind of messed up place would turn away refugees?” — Jason Mendoza
28. “The point is, you’re cool, dope, fresh, and smart-brained. I’ve never seen you dance, but I bet you’re good, cause you’re good at everything. You’re awesome! Be nicer to yourself.” — Jason Mendoza
The Good Place quotes by Chidi Anagonye
29. “Here’s an idea. What if we don’t worry about whatever comes next?” — Chidi Anagonye
30. “Time means nothing. Jeremy Bearimy, baby. We’ll just get through this. And then you and I can chill out in the dot of the I forever.” — Chidi Anagonye
31. “It turns out life isn’t a puzzle that can be solved one time and it’s done. You wake up every day, and you solve it again.” — Chidi Anagonye
32. “This is what we’ve been looking for since the day we met. Time. That’s what the Good Place really is — it’s not even a place, really. It’s just having enough time with the people you love.” — Chidi Anagonye
33. “I’m just not a ‘new experience’ kind of guy. My comfort zone is basically like, that chair, and honestly? The arms are a little sharp.” — Chidi Anagonye
34. “You even picked the ideal weather. Overcast and chilly. Perfect for staying inside and reading.” — Chidi Anagonye
35. “Picture a wave in the ocean. You can see it, measure it, its height, the way the sunlight refracts when it passes through, and it’s there, and you can see it, you know what it is. It’s a wave. And then it crashes on the shore, and it’s gone. But the water is still there. The wave was just a different way for the water to be for a little while.” — Chidi Anagonye
36. “I argue that we choose to be good because of our bonds with other people and our innate desire to treat them with dignity. Simply put, we are not in this alone.” — Chidi Anagonye
37. “Principles aren’t principles when you pick and choose when you’re gonna follow them.” — Chidi Anagonye
The Good Place quotes by Tahani Al-Jamil
38. “It’s not about who you know. Enlightenment comes from within. The Dalai Llama texted me that.” — Tahani Al-Jamil
39. “The problem is, if all you care about in the world is the velvet rope, you will always be unhappy, no matter which side you’re on.” — Tahani Al-Jamil
40. “I would say I outdid myself, but I’m always this good. So I simply did myself.” — Tahani Al-Jamil
The Good Place quotes by Janet
41. “I hate to see you walk through the final door at the edge of existence… but I love to watch you leave.” — Janet
42. “I will go physically pick those up, I guess, and then walk them back here with my feet.” — Janet
43. “Eleanor farted, and then she blamed it on her chair. That’s gonna cost her at least a few points.” — Janet
44. “If there were an answer I could give you to how the universe works, it wouldn’t be special. It would just be machinery fulfilling its cosmic design. It would just be a big, dumb food processor. But since nothing seems to make sense, when you find something or someone that does, it’s euphoria.” — Janet
45. “In case you were wondering, I am, by definition, the best version of myself.” — Janet
46. “Hi, guys! I’m broken.” — Janet
The Good Place quotes by other characters
47. “I am a strong, independent acid snake in the skinsuit of a strong, independent woman!” — Vicky
48. “You know what I just discovered recently? Podcasts. There’s, like, a billion of them and they just keep coming.” — The Judge
49. “There is some good news. There’s some cake left!” — Neil from Accounting
50. “ ‘Fair’ is the stupidest word humans ever invented, except for ‘staycation’.” — Shawn
Which of these The Good Place quotes is your favorite?
This show received a lot of praise and nominations for its excellent exploration of ethics and philosophy.
It successfully conveys these ideas to its audience while remaining fun and enjoyable for general viewers.
Whether you have thought about the afterlife before or not, this show is something that many viewers found interesting.
It has a different take than many other shows of similar topics.
And the show can be used as a good reminder that it is vital to choose kindness both for yourself and for others.
So, why not make a random good gesture or act of kindness after you finished reading these The Good Place quotes and sayings?
October 25, 2021 7:00 AM EST