Fire is a chemical process that has the potential to be destructive. It could burn through everything in its path leaving behind only charred remnants of what was.
We have seen that repeatedly in wildfires. Where once was a lush forest of green, we are left with smokey ash, dead wildlife, and smoke billowing in the air we breathe.
These fires also have the potential to destroy homes and businesses. Keep reading through these fire quotes to learn more about fire in nature.
Fire is also one of man’s most life-changing discoveries. It gave us the ability to stay warm and cook our food.
This helped us live longer because when we lived in tents or dwellings with little insulation people would succumb to the cold.
Also, eating raw meat led to illness amongst our ancestors, and the ability to cook our food. Check out these fire quotes about burning and being warm.
Burning fire quotes
1. “Fire that’s closest kept burns most of all.” — William Shakespeare
2. “The fire you kindle for your enemy often burns yourself more than them.” — Chinese Proverb
3. “Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves. For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure.” — Jerry Smith
4. “This is how the fire starts. This is how we burn.” — Libba Bray
5. “Just as a candle cannot burn without fire, men cannot live without a spiritual life.” — Buddha
6. “Life is a flame that is always burning itself out, but it catches fire again every time a child is born.” — George Bernard Shaw
7. “If you play with fire, you’re gonna get burned.” — Bam Bam Bigelow
8. “Keep a little fire burning; however small, however, hidden.” — Cormac McCarthy
9. “Among the notable things about fire is that it also requires oxygen to burn – exactly like its enemy, life. Thereby are life and flames so often compared.” — Otto Weininger
10. “If your house is burning, wouldn’t you try and put out the fire?” — Imran Khan
Fire quotes that us stronger
11. “Fire is the test of gold; adversity, of strong men.” — Martha Graham
12. “What fire does not destroy, it hardens.” — Oscar Wilde
13. “The finest steel has to go through the hottest fire.” — Richard M. Nixon
14. “Fire is never a gentle master.” — Proverb
15. “What matters most is how well you walk through the fire.” — Charles Bukowski
16. “One of the strongest characteristics of genius is the power of lighting its own fire.” — John Foster
17. “If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience.” — Robert Fulghum
18. “The hero and the coward both feel exactly the same fear, only the hero confronts his fear and converts it into fire.” — Cus D’Amato
19. “Courage is fire and bullying is smoke.” — Benjamin Disraeli
20. “The only real security is the ability to build your own fires and find your own peace.” — Audrey Sutherland
Witty fire quotes
21. “Fire in the heart sends smoke into the head.” — Proverb
22. “Fire, water, and government know nothing of mercy.” — Proverb
23. “Where there is smoke, there is fire.” — Proverb
24. “People who fight fire with fire usually end up with ashes.” — Abigail Van Buren
25. “It takes two flints to make a fire.” — Louisa May Alcott
26. “One afternoon, when I was four years old, my father came home, and he found me in the living room in front of a roaring fire, which made him very angry. Because we didn’t have a fireplace.” — Victor Borge
27. “The most tangible of all visible mysteries – fire.” — Leigh Hunt
28. “Fire will attract more attention than any other cry for help.” — Jean-Michel Basquiat
29. “A spark neglected makes a mighty fire.” — Robert Herrick
30. “A thought often makes us hotter than a fire.” — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
31. “When one burns one’s bridges, what a very nice fire it makes.” — Dylan Thomas
Fire quotes that deal with elements of nature
32. “As soon go kindle fire with snow, as seek to quench the fire of love with words.” — William Shakespeare
33. “The fire is the main comfort of the camp, whether in summer or winter and is about as ample at one season as at another. It is as well for cheerfulness as for warmth and dryness.” — Henry David Thoreau
34. “Fire is a natural symbol of life and passion, though it is the one element in which nothing can actually live.” — Susanne Katherina Langer
35. “One can enjoy a wood fire worthily only when he warms his thoughts by it as well as his hands and feet.” — Odell Shepherd
36. “Big fires flare-up in a wind, but little ones are blown out unless they are carried in undercover.” — St Francis de Sales
37. “The deepest lessons come out of the deepest waters and the hottest fires.” — Elisabeth Elliot
38. “To those who do not know the world is on fire, I have nothing to say.” — Bertolt Brecht
39. “I have a need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt.” — William Lloyd Garrison
40. “It is not light that we need, but fire; it is not the gentle shower, but thunder. We need the storm, the whirlwind, and the earthquake.” — Frederick Douglass
41. “A spark can set a whole forest on fire. Just a spark. Save it.” — Charles Bukowski
Inspirational fire quotes to feed your inner flame
42. “A small spark can start a great fire.” — Emmet Fox
43. “Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.” — Terry Pratchett
44. “The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire.” — Ferdinand Foch
45. “Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.” — Rumi
46. “Become the person you were meant to be, light your inner fire and follow your heart’s desire.” — Leon Brown.
47. “Light up the fire of love inside and blaze the thoughts away.” — Rumi
48. “Do not let your fire go out.” — Ayn Rand
49. “In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.” — Albert Schweitzer
50. “The fires of suffering become the light of consciousness.” — Eckhart Tolle
Which of these fire quotes resonated with you best?
As noted in some of these quotes, fire is also a term used to define a person’s passion and drive. It makes a reference to the spark that lies within each of us.
That smoldering inspiration can be fed, like fire, until it grows bright enough to warm ourselves and others.
If you are enjoying time in the wilderness, fire can lead someone who is lost in the woods to your safe haven.
The analogy of fire in the soul can have the same effect on people. You don’t know who might be around you that is struggling and looking for a light in the darkness.
Of course, fire should be respected and treated like the dangerous weapon it can be. It can keep you warm, or burn everything down around you. It can warm your food, or melt your hand. Burns are painful, and fire needs to be watched.
Do you think that personal fire also has the same duality? What is your favorite fire quote or saying? Answer either of those questions in the comment section below.
April 6, 2021 7:00 AM EST