Check out these Edith Stein quotes to learn more about a woman who devoted her life to her faith.
Edith Stein was also known as Saint Teresa Benedicta of the Cross or Saint Edith Stein.
She was born in Breslau in the German Empire in 1891 and died in German-occupied Poland at 50 in 1942.
When Stein was a teenager, she declared herself agnostic and became a nursing assistant.
After reading about the life of Teresa of Avila, Stein was drawn to the Christian faith and was baptized into the Catholic church.
She then began teaching at a Catholic school and was later admitted to the Discalced Carmelite monastery as a postulant.
In 1942, as a baptized Catholic of Jewish lineage, Stein was arrested and sent to a Nazi-run concentration camp where she was murdered in a gas chamber.
Read these Edith Stein quotes to learn more about this brave and faithful woman.
Inspirational Edith Stein Quotes
Check out these inspiring Edith Stein quotes!
1. “My longing for truth was a single prayer.” — Edith Stein
2. “But love is an end already since God is love.” — Edith Stein
3. “If anyone comes to me, I want to lead them to Him.” — Edith Stein
4. “When you seek truth, you seek God whether you know it or not.” — Edith Stein
5. “Let go of your plans. The first hour of your morning belongs to God.” — Edith Stein
6. “The nation… doesn’t simply need what we have. It needs what we are.” — Edith Stein
7. “One cannot desire freedom from the Cross when one is especially chosen for the Cross.” — Edith Stein
8. “The deeper one is drawn into God, the more one must ‘go out of oneself; that is, one must go to the world in order to carry the divine life into it.” — Edith Stein
9. “In order to be an image of God, the spirit must turn to what is eternal, hold it in spirit, keep it in memory, and by loving it, embrace it in the will.” — Edith Stein
10. “And when night comes, and you look back over the day and see how fragmentary everything has been, and how much you planned that has gone undone, and all the reasons you have to be embarrassed and ashamed.” — Edith Stein
The Best Edith Stein Quotes
Here are some of the best Edith Stein quotes!
11. “We can do nothing ourselves; God must do it.” — Edith Stein
12. “Everywhere the need exists for maternal sympathy and help.” — Edith Stein
13. “Energy apparently increases with the amount of work to be done.” — Edith Stein
14. “Usually one gets a heavier cross when one attempts to get rid of an old one.” — Edith Stein
15. “One could say that in case of need, every normal and healthy woman is able to hold a position.” — Edith Stein
16. “Woman naturally seeks to embrace that which is living, personal, and whole. To cherish, guard, protect, nourish and advance growth is her natural, maternal yearning.” — Edith Stein
17. “The motive, principle, and end of the religious life is to make an absolute gift of self to God in a self-forgetting love, to end one’s own life in order to make room for God’s life.” — Edith Stein
More Edith Stein Quotes
Take a look at these Edith Stein quotes.
18. “Those who remain silent are responsible.” — Edith Stein
19. “You can be at all fronts, wherever there is grief, in the power of the cross.” — Edith Stein
20. “Just take everything exactly as it is, put it in God’s hands, and leave it with Him.” — Edith Stein
21. “Tackle the day’s work that he charges you with, and he will give you the power to accomplish it.” — Edith Stein
22. “The soul of a child is soft and impressionable. Whatever influence enters there can be easily form it for a lifetime.” — Edith Stein
23. “Your compassionate love takes you everywhere, this love from the divine heart. Its precious blood is poured everywhere, soothing, healing, saving.” — Edith Stein
24. “When the facts of salvation history are introduced in early childhood and in an appropriate form, this may easily lay a foundation for a saintly life.” — Edith Stowe
25. “To suffer and to be happy although suffering, to have one’s feet on the earth, to walk on the dirty and rough paths of this earth and yet to be enthroned with Christ at the Father’s right hand, to laugh and cry with the children of this world and ceaselessly sing the praises of God with the choirs of angels – this is the life of the Christian until the morning of eternity breaks forth.” — Edith Stowe
Edith Stein’s Personal Life
Edith had a biological sister named Rosa, a convert who would be arrested and murdered alongside Edith.
Edith was the youngest of eleven kids and her mother raised her after her father died when Edith was young.
Please share these Edith Stein quotes with your friends and family and post any comments about Stein in the comment section below.