If you are a film lover, our David Lynch quotes are exactly what you needed today.
David Lynch has been inspiring audiences with brilliant films since the 1960s.
Learn more about this very accomplished director and artist with our David Lynch quotes.
You may also enjoy these related articles:
Who is David Lynch?
David Lynch is an American filmmaker.
He is a man of many hats, working as a visual artist, musician, director, and actor.
Check out these cool David Lynch movies below:
- Blue Velvet
- The Elephant Man
Lynch is more than a filmmaker
Most people know David Lynch for his movies or television shows, but he is also an accomplished author and musician.
His books Images and Catching the Big Fish, along with his albums Blue BOB and Crazy Clown Time, have earned him awards and accolades.
As a filmmaker, David Lynch is your favorite director’s favorite director.
In 2007, the folks at The Guardian dubbed him “the most important filmmaker of the current era.”
The Legacy of Blue Velvet
David Lynch’s films are known for being surreal.
They twist your mind by putting your heart in a blender and then placing a mirror in front of you.
My earliest exposure to David Lynch was in the films Blue Velvet and, later on, Twin Peaks.
Both stories present explicit content in a way that speaks to the human psyche.
Blue Velvet is an example of something ahead of its time.
When I first saw the movie, I was shocked.
A Clockwork Orange evoked a similar feeling.
These are films that challenge the popular narratives of how we perceive intimacy, sex, violence, power, and institutions.
Blue Velvet debuted to mixed reviews.
The film received a Best Director nomination at the Academy Awards.
It also won Best Film and Best Director at the National Society of Film Critics.
Despite these accolades, some critics felt the violence and sex depicted in the film was too explicit.
Over the years, critics have changed their perception.
The film is now regarded as a masterpiece.
For more awesome content, check out our David Lynch quotes below.
Short David Lynch quotes about making movies and creative control
Let’s start our list with these awesome David Lynch quotes.
1. “I believe in creative control.” — David Lynch
2. “Most of Hollywood is about making money.” — David Lynch
3. “No matter what anyone makes, they should have control over it.” — David Lynch
4. “I love money, but I don’t make the films thinking about money.” — David Lynch
5. “If you stay true to your ideas, filmmaking becomes an inside-out, honest kind of process.” — David Lynch
The top David Lynch quotes about film
David Lynch is a master filmmaker; check out his take on the state of cinema today
6. “I like the feel of film noir a lot.” — David Lynch
7. “Feature films I think have become cheap.” — David Lynch
8. “Everything is kind of throwaway. It’s experienced and then forgotten.” — David Lynch
9. “More and more people are seeing the films on computers; lousy sound, lousy picture.” — David Lynch
10. “I think part of the reason ideas haven’t come in is that the world of cinema is changing so drastically, and in a weird way. — David Lynch
Famous David Lynch quotes about the power of blackness and the dark
David Lynch has always believed the color black evokes powerful responses.
11. “People say my films are dark.” — David Lynch
12. “But like lightness, darkness stems from a reflection of the world.” — David Lynch
13. “Black has depth, you can go into it, and you start seeing what you’re afraid of.” — David Lynch
14. “So it’s about fear, and it’s a nighttime feeling, and that thing creeps into my work, you know, quite a bit.” — David Lynch
15. “A good movie idea is often like a girl you’re in love with, but you know she’s not the kind of girl you bring home to your parents, because they sometimes hold some dark and troubling things.” — David Lynch
David Lynch quotes and sayings about ideas
Check out how David Lynch compares ideas to fish.
16. “Ideas are like fish.” — David Lynch
17. “They’re huge and abstract. And they’re very beautiful.” — David Lynch
18. “Down deep, the fish are more powerful and more pure.” — David Lynch
19. “But if you want to catch the big fish, you’ve got to go deeper.” — David Lynch
20. “If you want to catch little fish, you can stay in the shallow water.” — David Lynch
The best David Lynch quotes about making sense of life and art
Let’s close our list with these thoughtful David Lynch quotes.
21. “They accept the fact that life doesn’t make sense.” — David Lynch
22. “I don’t know why people expect art to make sense.” — David Lynch
23. “I think finally, in a film, it is how the balance is, and the feelings are.” — David Lynch
24. “I think there has to be those contrasts and strong things within a film for the total experience.” — David Lynch
25. “If we didn’t want to upset anyone, we would make films about sewing, but even that could be dangerous.” — David Lynch
You are watching a master at work
If you have never seen a David Lynch film or series, you should check one out.
Any fans of the psychological thriller genre would love his surreal and sometimes creepy scenes.
What is your favorite David Lynch quote?
Be sure to let us know in the comments below.