These Karl Lagerfeld quotes encompass his philosophies about life and fashion and how, oftentimes, they worked together as one.
How can Karl Lagerfeld’s view of life influence our own?
Karl Lagerfeld was an acclaimed fashion designer and photographer who was responsible for the revival of Chanel over the years. For him, fashion was life, and one was always influencing the other.
In Lagerfeld’s view, fashion and art was compared to the way he actually lived his life. One always had an impact on the other, and these Karl Lagerfeld quotes truly show that life is just one big and crazy piece of art.
Karl Lagerfeld Quotes About the Creative Process
1. “What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that’s gone forever, impossible to reproduce.” – Karl Lagerfeld
2. “People who do a job that claims to be creative have to be alone to recharge their batteries. You can’t live 24 hours a day in the spotlight and remain creative. For people like me, solitude is a victory.” – Karl Lagerfeld
3. “Music gives color to the air of the moment.” – Karl Lagerfeld
4. “Clear thinking at the wrong moment can stifle creativity.” – Karl Lagerfeld
5. “Absurdity and anti-absurdity are the two poles of creative energy.” – Karl Lagerfeld
6. “Like poetry, fashion does not state anything. It merely suggests.” – Karl Lagerfeld
7. “Fashion and music are the same, because music expresses its period too.” – Karl Lagerfeld
8. “Logos and branding are so important. In a big part of the world, people cannot read French or English—but are great at remembering signs.” – Karl Lagerfeld
9. “The French say you get hungry when you’re eating, and I get inspired when I’m working. It’s my engine.” – Karl Lagerfeld
10. “I do my job like I breathe—so if I can’t breathe I’m in trouble.” – Karl Lagerfeld
11. “What is the worst is a fashion designer who talks all the time of his or her creativity, what they are, how they evolved. Just do it and shut up.” – Karl Lagerfeld
Karl Lagerfeld Quotes to Inspire You to Be Your Best
12. “Don’t sacrifice yourself too much, because if you sacrifice too much there’s nothing else you can give and nobody will care for you.” – Karl Lagerfeld
13. “Change is the healthiest way to survive.” – Karl Lagerfeld
14. “People who say that yesterday was better than today are ultimately devaluing their own existence.” – Karl Lagerfeld
15. “I like to reinvent myself—it’s part of my job.” – Karl Lagerfeld
16. “Forgiveness isn’t something I’m preoccupied with—turning the other cheek isn’t my trip.” – Karl Lagerfeld
17. “Stuff your brain with knowledge.” – Karl Lagerfeld
18. “Keep the best, forget the rest.” – Karl Lagerfeld
19. “If you stick to something doggedly, you are off to a bad start.” – Karl Lagerfeld
20. “Success nullifies. You then have to do it again, preferably differently.” – Karl Lagerfeld
21. “I’m never content with what I do. I live in a sort of permanent dissatisfaction. I think that’s the secret to doing things well.” – Karl Lagerfeld
22. “When people want to be liked for what they did, they should stop.” – Karl Lagerfeld
23. “Reinvent new combinations of what you already own. Improvise. Become more creative. Not because you have to, but because you want to. Evolution is the secret for the next step.” – Karl Lagerfeld
24. “Don’t overact the story of your name. Overact the story of your work.” – Karl Lagerfeld
25. “For every book you buy, you should buy the time to read it.” – Karl Lagerfeld
26. “I’m open to everything. When you start to criticize the times you live in, your time is over.” – Karl Lagerfeld
Also read these David Bowie quotes that will revitalize your life.
Karl Lagerfeld Quotes That Expose the Truth About Life
27. “The only love that I really believe in is a mother’s love for her children.” – Karl Lagerfeld
28. “I like today and perhaps a little future still, but the past is really something I’m not interested in. So, as far as I’m concerned, I like only the past of things and people I don’t know. When I know, I don’t care before I knew how it was.” – Karl Lagerfeld
29. “We live in a dark and romantic and quite tragic world.” – Karl Lagerfeld
30. “I don’t like standard beauty—there is no beauty without strangeness.” – Karl Lagerfeld
31. “Don’t look to the approval of others for your mental stability.” – Karl Lagerfeld
32. “I’m very much down to earth, just not this earth.” – Karl Lagerfeld
33. “You cannot fake chic but you can be chic and fake fur.” – Karl Lagerfeld
34. “Guilty feelings about clothes are totally unnecessary. A lot of people earn their living by making clothes, so you should never feel bad.” – Karl Lagerfeld
35. “Books are a hard-bound drug with no danger of an overdose. I am the happy victim of books.” – Karl Lagerfeld
36. “The iPod completely changed the way people approach music.” – Karl Lagerfeld
37. “When people talk about the good old days, I say to people, ‘It’s not the days that are old, it’s you that’s old.’ I hate the good old days. What is important is that today is good.” – Karl Lagerfeld
38. “Youthfulness is about how you live not when you were born.” – Karl Lagerfeld
39. “Forgiveness is too easy. I can forget by indifference, but not forgive. I prefer revenge.” – Karl Lagerfeld
Karl Lagerfeld Quotes About Fashion
40. “Never use the word ‘cheap.’ Today everybody can look chic in inexpensive clothes (the rich buy them too). There is good clothing design on every level today. You can be the chicest thing in the world in a t-shirt and jeans—it’s up to you.” – Karl Lagerfeld
41. “Fashion does not have to prove that it is serious. It is the proof that intelligent frivolity can be something creative and positive.” – Karl Lagerfeld
42. “Fashion is ephemeral, dangerous and unfair.” – Karl Lagerfeld
43. “One is never over-dressed or underdressed in a Little Black Dress.” – Karl Lagerfeld
44. “A respectable appearance is sufficient to make people more interested in your soul.” – Karl Lagerfeld
45. “Sweatpants are a sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.” – Karl Lagerfeld
46. “I love classic beauty. It’s an idea of beauty with no standard.” – Karl Lagerfeld
47. “Fashion in a language that creates itself in clothes to interpret reality.” – Karl Lagerfeld
48. “We need houses as we need clothes, architecture stimulates fashion. It’s like hunger and thirst—you need them both.” – Karl Lagerfeld
49. “I want everyone to wear what they want and mix it in their own way. That, to me, is what is modern.” – Karl Lagerfeld
50. “Luxury is the ease of a t-shirt in a very expensive dress.” – Karl Lagerfeld
51. “I am a fashion person, and fashion is not only about clothes—it’s about all kinds of change.” – Karl Lagerfeld
52. “Fashion is about two things: the evolution and the opposite.” – Karl Lagerfeld
You might also like our list of the best hair quotes that will boost your confidence.
What did you learn from these Karl Lagerfeld quotes?
These Karl Lagerfeld quotes show the importance between the connection of art and reality. Karl Lagerfeld was a major influence on modern fashion, revitalizing Chanel during the span of his career and becoming known for his fashion design and photography. Lagerfeld had a unique outlook on life, bringing creativity into his way of living, even when he wasn’t at work.
Is there something we can take away from Lagerfeld’s view of life that could change our own work ethic?
Truly, Lagerfeld sees the connection between art and his life as an essential one, putting as much of his energy into living a life that’s true to himself as he put into his fashion design. We can all look at that and change our work ethic, seeing it as something that’s meant to be enjoyed, a part of living, rather than something that’s required of us.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Karl Lagerfeld quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
January 10, 2020 7:00 AM EST