If you’re lucky enough to have a brother in your life, these brotherhood quotes will keep you humble and remind you of the beauty of family and friendship that we often take for granted.
The friends we make in life as men can make or break us.
Brothers and cousins that are related to us by blood, as well as friends, and other humans on this earth, are the people that we can rely on and trust.
Why is brotherhood important?
Your brothers are the ones that ride the waves of life through you, no matter how exciting or difficult certain moments can be.
A “brother” — whatever that means to you — is someone who can be seen as a strong, positive role model.
Someone who is there to back you up, but also someone who can hold you accountable when you make mistakes.
Below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and memorable brotherhood quotes and sayings, collected from a variety of sources over the years.
Brotherhood quotes on the value of family and friendship
1. “We must live together as brothers or perish together as fools.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
2. “Bond is stronger than blood. The family grows stronger by bond.”― Itohan Eghide
3. “Although I hadn’t seen him in more than ten years, I know I’ll miss him forever.” ― Stand By Me
4. I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone? ― Stand By Me
5. “None of you believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself.” ― Prophet Muhammad
6. “Never hold resentments for the person who tells you what you need to hear; count them among your truest, most caring, and valuable friends.” ― Mike Norton, Just Another War Story
7. “Being his real brother I could feel I live in his shadows, but I never have and I do not now. I live in his glow.” ― Michael Morpurgo, Private Peaceful
8. “Brotherhood is the good deed, service to others. Brotherhood is food, shelter and rainment, yes, but it is also the word of hope, the pat on the back, the open door, the warm hearth.” ― P. L. Prattis
9. “There is no love like the love for a brother. There is no love like the love from a brother.” ― Astrid Alauda
10. “There is no time like the old time, when you and I were young!” ― Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.
You might also like these cousin quotes that perfectly describe your bond.
Brotherhood quotes on who your brother is
11. “You may call for peace as loudly as you wish, but where there is no brotherhood there can in the end be no peace.” ― Max Lerner
12. “I love you, my brother, whoever you are – whether you worship in a church, kneel in your temple, or pray in your mosque. You and I are children of one faith, for the diverse paths of religion are fingers of the loving hand of the one supreme being, a hand extended to all, offering completeness of spirit to all, eager to receive all.” ― Kahlil Gibran
13. “You take up for your buddies, no matter what they do. When you’re a gang, you stick up for the members. If you don’t stick up for them, stick together, make like brothers, it isn’t a gang anymore. It’s a pack. A snarling, distrustful, bickering park like the Socs in their social clubs or the street gangs in New York or the wolves in the timber.” ― S.E. Hinton, The Outsiders
14. “Woody once risked his life to save mine, and I couldn’t call myself his friend if I wasn’t willing to do the same.” ― Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story
16. “I dream that someday you will return to Kabul and revisit the land of our childhood. If you do, you will find an old faithful friend waiting for you.” ― The Kite Runner, Khaled Husseini
If you’re enjoying these quotes, you’ll love our collection of inspirational quotes for friends to show just how much they mean to you.
17. “You cannot contribute anything to the ideal condition of mind and heart known as Brotherhood, however much you preach, posture, or agree, unless you live it.” ― Faith Baldwin
18. “Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children’s future. And we are all mortal.” ― John F. Kennedy
19. “I may not be my brother’s keeper, but I am my brother’s brother.” ― Jeffrey R. Holland
20. “I don’t believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at.” ― Maya Angelou
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of powerful sisterhood quotes to share with your tribe.
Brotherhood quotes that will make you think differently
21. “Christians are my brothers, Hindus are my brothers, all of them are my brothers. We just think different and believe different.” ― Muhammad Ali
22. “By practicing brotherhood, we set a good example for those around us and in return we feel a sense of self-fulfillment for having aided a fellow human being.” ― Kathy Bartilson
23. “You cannot see brotherhood; neither can you hear it nor taste it. But you can feel it a hundred times a day. It is the pat on the back when things look gloomy. It is the smile of encouragement when the way seems hard. It is the helping hand when the burden becomes unbearable.” ― Peter E. Terzick
24. “When we turn to one another for counsel we reduce the number of our enemies.” ― Kahlil Gibran
25. “People are realizing that color has no bearing on what’s known as brotherhood.” ― Omar Epps
26. “Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero.” ― Marc Brown
27. “The opportunity for brotherhood presents itself every time you meet a human being.” ― Jane Wyman
28. “Either men will learn to live like brothers, or they will die like beasts.” ― Max Lerner
29. “There was one time when we were children. He transformed himself into a snake, and he knows that I love snakes. So I went to pick up the snake to admire it, and he transformed back into himself and he was like, ‘Blech, it’s me!’ And he stabbed me. We were 8 at the time.” ― Thor on Loki, The Avengers
30. “Sooner or later, all the peoples of the world will have to discover a way to live together in peace, and thereby transform this pending cosmic elegy into a creative psalm of brotherhood.” ― Martin Luther King, Jr.
Brotherhood quotes to remind you that you’re not alone
31. “Give bread to a stranger, in the name of the universal brotherhood which binds together all men under the common father of nature.”― Marcus Fabius Quintilianus
32. “The most dangerous word in any human tongue is the word for brother. It’s inflammatory.” ― Tennessee Williams
33. “Imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can, No need for greed or hunger, A brotherhood of man. Imagine all the people Sharing all the world.”― John Lennon
34. “I believe in the brotherhood of all men, but I don’t believe in wasting brotherhood on anyone who doesn’t want to practice it with me. Brotherhood is a two-way street.” ― Malcolm X
35. “It is doubtless true that men are bad because they are unhappy. If anyone could give them real happiness, the happiness of brotherhood, they would all want to live the true and brotherly life.” ― Edwin Markham
36. “No guns but only brotherhood can resolve the problems.” ― Atal Bihari Vajpayee
37. “I’m Native American, so it’s in my blood to always want brothers and friends. I’m a good brotherhood guy.” ― Duane Chapman
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to check out our collection of wise native American quotes on community, respect, and more.
38. “We don’t need holy wars. What we need is tolerance and brotherhood and simple humanity.” ― Arlen Specter
39. “Because brothers don’t let each other wander in the dark alone.” ― Jolene Perry
40. “You can’t hold a man down without staying down with him.” ― Booker T. Washington
Other inspirational brotherhood quotes
41. “The opportunity for brotherhood presents itself every time you meet a human being.” ― Jane Wyman
42. “We were homies, but you will always be a brother to me. So close, we always gave each other kiss on the cheek.” ― Cuban Link, Flowers For The Dead
43. “I don’t believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at.” ― Maya Angelou
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of sibling quotes to cherish your BFF by blood!
44. “Brothers don’t necessarily have to say anything to each other — they can sit in a room and be together and just be completely comfortable with each other.” ― Leonardo DiCaprio
45. “Brotherhood is the very price and condition of man’s survival.” ― Carlos P. Romulo
46. “The world is now too small for anything but brotherhood.” ― Arthur Powell Davies
47. “Of a truth, men are mystically united: a mystic bond of brotherhood makes all men one.” ― Thomas Carlyle
48. “I sought my soul, but my soul I could not see. I sought my God, but my God eluded me. I sought my brother and I found all three.” ― Unknown
49. “So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth.” ― Baha’u’llah
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of unity quotes about bringing people together.
50. “The crest and crowning of all good, life’s final star, is Brotherhood.” ― Edwin Markham
Brotherhood quotes to learn and live by
51. “I guess we’re really brothers, aren’t we? Don’t know what that means, except it means that some of the same things we remember.” ― Tim O’Brien
52. “A sister is the second mother to her brother and a brother is a second father to her sister” ― J. Tisa
53. “I love you. You are the best brother a person could have asked for. People often choose their best friends. God sent me mine.” ― Ryan J. Gutierrez
54. “Peace, harmony and brotherhood are the marks of humanity. They are the heart of every religion. They are the ultimate weapons against all powerful weapons.” ― Amit Ray
55. “This is the oldest form of living communication; the brotherhood of breath.” ― Timothy Leary
56. “Don’t turn away, don’t tell me that we’re not the same
We face the fire together, brothers ’til the end, Brother”
― Lord Huron
57. “We are all spawned from the same great canvas yet we lose ourselves through the melding of its vistas.” ― Lorin Morgan-Richards
58. “True happiness comes from a sense of brotherhood and sisterhood, but not from hatred and division.” ― Oscar Auliq-Ice
59. “No matter where we come from, there is one language we can all speak and understand from birth, the language of the heart, love.” ― Imania Margria
60. “Starting a business with brother either ends business or ends brotherhood.” ― Amit Kalantri
Brotherhood quotes to appreciate your bros more
61. “Brotherhood means living peaceably together and to help and love one another.” ― Rhea Cumming
62. “We have flown the air like birds and swum the sea like fishes, but have yet to learn the simple act of walking the earth like brothers.” ― Martin Luther King, Jr.
63. “You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.” ― William Boetcker
64. “No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame. For one person, in the dark where no one will ever know or see.” ― J. Michael Straczynski
65. “We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects.” ― Herman Melville
66. “Some have never learned that every human on this earth is equal to every other one. This is the secret of brotherhood.” ― John Dejung
67. “God, what a world, if men in street and mart felt that same kinship of the human heart which makes them, in the face of fire and flood, rise to the meaning of true brotherhood.” ― Ella Wheeler Wilcox
68. “If you really believe in the brotherhood of man, and you want to come into its fold, you’ve got to let everyone else in, too.” ― Oscar Hammerstein II
69. “The brotherhood of man is usually thought of as something unattainable, the vision of a dreamer. The truth is that brotherhood exists now and has always existed. The brotherhood of man is here. It is not a fancy but a fact. It is not a dream but a reality.” ― Wilfred Peterson
70. “A smile or a tear has not nationality; joy and sorrow speak alike to all nations, and they, above all the confusion of tongues, proclaim the brotherhood of man.” ― Frederick Douglass
What did you learn from these brotherhood quotes?
If you’re looking to find the words to describe your brothers, then hopefully these brotherhood quotes have given you some inspiration.
A brother does not need to be someone who has the same parent(s) as you. A brother is a person you can turn to when you can’t talk to others. It could be someone you’ve known since childhood or someone you met later in life.
Brothers are the men that are physically, mentally, and emotionally supportive, especially in a time when toxic masculinity makes it hard for men to be in touch with their true selves.
Without brotherhood, it would be difficult for people to navigate the obstacles that life presents us.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these brotherhood quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.
May 6, 2022 5:00 AM EST