Get to know one of the world’s most observed people with our Kim Jong-un quotes.
Since 2011, Kim Jong-un has been the leader of North Korea.
You might also enjoy these related articles:
Check out our Kim Jong-un quotes below!
Who is Kim Jong-un?
In his country, they know him as Respected Comrade Jim Jong-un, and he is the Supreme Leader of North Korea.
He also might be one of the most misunderstood world leaders to hold power.
His critics call him a totalitarian leader who takes vicious means to hold power.
Supporters say he is a genius leader who consolidated power and exponentially increased North Korea’s nuclear program.
Regardless of your opinion of Kim Jong-un, he is one of the most popular world leaders and was the second most googled figure in 2020.
Check out these interesting facts about the Supreme Leader below:
- The Kim family has ruled North Korea since 1948.
- North Korea is one of the poorest nations on the planet.
- North Korea claims to have had zero Covid-19 infections.
What is Kim Jong-un known for?
We are all products of our environment.
Even the most open-minded of us are still affected by conditioning.
If you grew up in the West, you have most likely been taught to have an opinion about Kim Jong-un, even if you are unfamiliar with him.
Pew polls show that seventy-eight percent of Americans have an unfavorable opinion of Kim Jong-un, and sixty-one percent have a highly negative view.
North Korea is one of the most private countries on earth.
The foreign press has strict limitations and sanctions on what they can cover and publish about the Asian country.
It is of interest that people who have never been to North Korea, have never met a North Korean, or know little about North Korean culture have such strong opinions about their country’s leader.
This is not to support or criticize Jong’s legacy or the practices of North Korea; however, it is worth noting that many people have preconceived notions about a country they are unfamiliar with.
Why did Kim Jong-un build up North Korea’s nuclear program?
It is no secret that North Korea has put great stock into building its nuclear capabilities.
There seems to be a double standard for countries building their military prowess.
Many Americans support their country’s nuclear program but decry other nations for building up their arsenal.
However, Kim Jong-un has repeatedly suggested that his country aims not to attack but defend.
When asked about potentially attacking America, he says, “Why would I strike America and invite a retaliatory counterstrike that would put an end to my regime?”
Kim understands his country would have difficulty fending off an American offensive.
He further explains, “Keep in mind, the whole point of this, my entire strategy, all our efforts, and the hardships we have borne, is to ensure that my regime and I survive. Why would I risk that? I believe in assassination, not suicide.”
Kim points to the examples of Iraq’s Saddam Hussein and Libya’s Muammar Gaddafi as examples of leaders who agreed to get rid of their nuclear weapons only to be invaded by the United States.
To learn more, check out our Kim Jong-un quotes below.
Short Kim Jong-un quotes about revolution and the future
Jong-un has worked to maintain his family’s legacy.
1. “My nation faces a fundamental challenge – survival.” — Kim Jong-un
2. “The revolution is carried out by means of one’s thought.” — Kim Jong-un
3. “Want to know what’s more destructive than a nuclear bomb? Words.” — Kim Jong-un
4. “There can be neither today without yesterday nor tomorrow without today.” — Kim Jong-un
5. “Our cause is just, and the might of Korea that is united with truth is infinite.” — Kim Jong-un
Top Kim Jong-un Quotes on Resources and Defense aga
These quotes give us an idea of Jong-un’s stance on the value of natural resources and what it takes to defend North Korea.
6. “The days are gone forever when our enemies could blackmail us with nuclear bombs.” — Kim Jong-un
7. “Forests are precious resources of the country and a wealth to be handed down to posterity.” — Kim Jong-un
8. “Our Party attaches great importance to the work with young people and firmly believes in them.” — Kim Jong-un
9. “Past records of inter-Korean relations show that confrontation between fellow countrymen leads to nothing but war.” — Kim Jong-un
10. “It is important to launch a mass and society-wide struggle to drastically increase the production of consumer goods.” — Kim Jong-un
Kim Jong-un Quotes on Happiness and Nation Building
Here are some of Jong-un’s thoughts on union members and seeking joy.
11. “Our women’s union members and other women are really excellent and praiseworthy.” — Kim Jong-un
12. “Suddenly, the whole country is engulfed with happiness, and the people endlessly inspired.” — Kim Jong-un
13. “Developing the locally-run industry is very important in increasing the production of consumer goods.” — Kim Jong-un
14. “Construction is an important front for solidifying the foundations of a thriving country and creating bases for the people’s happy life.” — Kim Jong-un
15. “We should raise fierce flames of innovations in the vanguard sectors, basic industrial sectors, and all other sectors of the national economy.” — Kim Jong-un
The Best Kim Jong-un Quotes on His Party’s Success
Under Kim Jong-un, North Korea’s nuclear program is more successful than ever.
16. “Compared to 10 years ago, the primary motivation for defection has gone from food, to freedom.” — Kim Jong-un
17. “Success in the revolution and construction depends on how a party, the General Staff of the revolution, is built and on how its leadership role is enhanced.” — Kim Jong-un
18. “The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.” — Kim Jong-un
19. “The entire Party, the whole army, and all the people should conduct a vigorous forest restoration campaign to make the mountains of the country thick with forests.” — Kim Jong-un
20. “The history of our Party is just the path traveled by our great people: its might is their might, its greatness is their greatness, and its victory is the victory achieved by them.” — Kim Jong-un
Kim Jong-un Quotes and Sayings About Science and Leadership
North Korea has been run by the Kim family since 1948, and their goals of amassing better science and technology are coming to fruition.
21. “Science and technology are a propellant for building a thriving country, and the happiness of the people and the future of the country hinge on their development.” — Kim Jong-un
22. “The great leaders called the working class first whenever difficult and gigantic tasks arose for the revolution, and ushered in fresh heydays of the revolution by relying on them.” — Kim Jong-un
23. “In order to develop the country’s sports in line with the great leaders’ ideas and plan of developing Juche-based sports, our Party directs great efforts to the work of the sports sector.” — Kim Jong-un
24. “It is a proud tradition and fighting trait of our army and people to rise up like mountains and go through fire and water to unfailingly carry through the party’s orders and instructions.” — Kim Jong-un
25. “Patriotism is not an abstract concept. It begins from one’s own home. It buds out from the love for one’s parents, spouses and children, the love for one’s own home, village and workplace, and further develops into the love for one’s country and fellow people.” — Kim Jong-un
Is North Korea more than Kim Jong-un?
North Korea is a nation of over twenty-five million people.
If someone were to ask you to name a South Korean, you might easily refer to Ban Ki-moon, Lee Dong-gun, or Lee Myang-bak.
Yet, if asked to do the same for North Korea, many would be left scratching their head.
Ironically, despite negative coverage from the media, most people would only be able to name Kim Jong-un if asked to name someone well-known from North Korea.
While Kim Jong-un is their Supreme Leader, he is not the entire country.
Many advocates are working hard to change the narrative of North Korea from being reduced to a country of one man.
More and more, stories of North Korean people are reaching broader audiences.
As their narratives get shared, we get a more complete idea of their history, accomplishments, and dreams.
The North Korean government has taken a stance of isolation from the rest of the world, which has limited the exposure of how North Korean stories are shared with the world.
Do you have a favorite Kim Jong-un quote?
Please be sure to let us know in the comments section below.