If you have an interest in history, you will love these Marco Polo quotes.
Apart from our quotes section, we have also discussed Marco Polo and essential aspects of his life that are part of history.
So, without any further ado, let’s dive in!
Who was Marco Polo?
Marco Polo is known in history as a popular and influential traveler.
He was born on September 15, 1254, in a beautiful city in Italy named Venice.
He started his first journey in 1271, accompanied by his father and uncle.
During this adventurous journey, Marco Polo visited some of the most exotic destinations around the world.
This particular journey continued for over two decades and covered major areas of the world, including:
- Middle East
Highlights of Marco Polo’s Journey
The journey started by Marco Polo was exciting and dangerous.
During their voyage, they encountered pirates and bandits.
They also navigated through dangerous seas and deserted landscapes.
This particular journey helped Marco Polo to learn about cultures, traditions, and opportunities.
One of the biggest highlights of this voyage was the time Marco Polo spent in China.
He stayed in China for 17 years.
He spent most of his time in the court of Kublai Khan, a powerful Mongol ruler.
His stay in China allowed Marco Polo to learn about Chinese traditions and culture.
Marco Polo also learned the Chinese language.
He also helped with the establishment of the Silk Road.
It served as a new corridor for trade and cultural exchange between Asia and Europe.
This road spanned over 6400 km and was referred to as the most popular Eurasian trade route.
Marco Polo’s Book
All the experiences and observations of Marco Polo’s travel to China were documented in a book titled “The Travels of Marco Polo.”
Marco Polo wrote this book in the 13th century.
It was translated into various languages.
The first Spanish translation was published in the 16th century.
It was translated by Juan Fernández de Heredia.
The book served as a source of inspiration for other European explorers such as Vasco da Gama and Christopher Columbus.
It offers a wealth of knowledge about China, its culture, lifestyle, and customs.
Top 5 Marco Polo Quotes
These are the top 5 quotes by Marco Polo.
1. “Without stones, there is no arch.” — Marco Polo
2. “I have not told the half of what I saw.” — Marco Polo
3. “My heart beats as much as I can breathe.” — Marco Polo
4. “The true sweetness of wine is one flavor.” — Marco Polo
5. “Yeah, I pretty much never sit by the pool anymore.” — Marco Polo
Marco Polo Quotes About His Experiences
These insightful Marco Polo quotes are based on his real-life experiences. Discover wisdom and inspiration from the famous explorer’s words.
6. “Anyone forging it would be punished with death.” — Marco Polo
7. “One of these nuts is a meal for a man, both meat and drink.” — Marco Polo
8. “In the summer-time, indeed, you will fall in with people, but in the winter, the cold is too great.” — Marco Polo
9. “Here people were once used to be honorable: now they are all bad; they have kept one goodness: that they are greatest boozers.” — Marco Polo
10. “I speak and speak, […] but the listener retains only the words he is expecting. […] It is not the voice that commands the story: it is the ear.” — Marco Polo
Marco Polo Quotes Stating Facts
A lot of facts were revealed by Marco Polo. Some of these facts are as follows.
11. “You will hear it for yourselves, and it will surely fill you with wonder.” — Marco Polo
12. “The militant Muslim is the person who beheads the infidel, while the moderate Muslim holds the feet of the victim.” — Marco Polo
13. “When any poor man begged of them, they would tell him, “Go with God’s curse, for if He loved you as He loves me, He would have provided for you.” — Marco Polo
14. “You must know that on this Island, there are the best enchanters in the world. It is true that their Archbishop forbids the practice to the best of his ability; but ’tis all to no purpose, for they insist that their forefathers followed it, and so must they also.” — Marco Polo
15. “We go naked because we want nothing of this world; for we came into the world naked and unclothed. As for not being ashamed to show our members, the fact is that we do not sin with them and therefore have no more shame in them than you have when you show your hand or face or the other parts of your body that do not lead you into carnal sin; whereas you use your members to commit sin and lechery, and so you cover them up and are ashamed of them.” — Marco Polo
Marco Polo Quotes About Emperors
Explore the world of emperors through Marco Polo’s eyes. Discover fascinating quotes about their policies and way of life from the legendary explorer.
16. “The personal appearance of the Great Kaan, Lord of Lords, whose name is Cublay, is such as I shall now tell you.” — Marco Polo
17. “The Emperor himself is carried upon four elephants in a fine chamber made of timber, lined inside with plates of beaten gold, and outside with lion’s skins.” — Marco Polo
18. “The Emperor’s Mint then is in this same City of Cambaluc, and you might say he hath the Secret of Alchemy in perfection, and you would be right! For he makes his money after this fashion.” — Marco Polo
19. “If you put together all the Christians in the world, with their Emperors and their Kings, the whole of these Christians – aye, and throw in the Saracens to boot – would not have such power, or be able to do so much as this Kublai, who is Lord of all the Tartars in the world.” — Marco Polo
20. “They have the mouth and nose muffled with fine napkins of silk and gold so that no breath nor odor from their persons should taint the dish or the goblet presented to the Lord. And when the Emperor is going to drink, all the musical instruments, of which he has vast store of every kind, begin to play.” — Marco Polo
Marco Polo Quotes About People
Step into Marco Polo’s world of travel and discovery and gain unique insights into his diverse interactions with people. The following quotes reveal his experiences and perspectives on human connections.
21. “And nobody, however important he may think himself, dares to refuse them on pain of death.” — Marco Polo
22. “These people of Tibet are an ill-conditioned race. They have mastiff dogs as big as donkeys, which are capital at seizing wild beasts.” — Marco Polo
23. “They stormed a tower belonging to some of the islanders who refused to surrender, and they cut off the heads of all the garrison except eight.” — Marco Polo
24. “The people are Idolaters, use paper money, and are subject to the Great Kaan. They live by trade and handicrafts, and they have plenty of silk.” — Marco Polo
25. “And when the Old Man wished to kill someone, he would take him and say: “Go and do this thing. I do this because I want to make you return to paradise.” And the assassins go and perform the deed willingly.” — Marco Polo
Which of these Marco Polo Quotes is your Favorite?
After going through our list of Marco Polo quotes, you can now have a better understanding of how Marco Polo perceives life.
These quotes are carefully selected to offer you only authentic quotes that are associated with Marco Polo.
Share these quotes with your friends and family.
If you have found a Marco Polo quote that inspires you the most, mention it in the comments section.
We would love to hear from you.