Fully love yourself and celebrate all shapes with our thick quotes.
It is 2023, and people are breaking more and more stereotypes.
Gone are the days when paper-thin models are portrayed as the only standard of beauty.
Learn something new with our thick quotes below.
You may also enjoy reading these related quotes:
What does thick mean?
Many words that have become enveloped in popular culture get their start in subcultures.
African American vernacular is the language spoken by many African Americans nationwide.
Thick is a word that originates in African American Vernacular as slang for someone with curves.
Check out these interesting facts about the word thick:
- Today someone who is thick has a curvy body or full figure.
- Thick and slim thick are often sought-after body archetypes for many people.
- In the past, in England and the United States, a thick-witted person was considered slow or mentally challenged.
What was once frowned upon is now desired
I was born in an era where models, actors, or anyone appearing in advertisements, movies, or magazines were usually very thin.
When I was a child and went to the doctor, I always wondered why the body weight and height standards always seemed small or meant for frail-framed people.
It is no secret that times have changed.
In the past, full-figured actresses struggled to get lead roles or appear in advertisements.
Today, plastic surgery and body enhancement are billion-dollar industries.
People pay big bucks to have their hips widened, butts augmented, and waists thinned out.
So what has changed?
Clearly, beauty standards are transforming, and we are choosing to have our entertainment world more authentically reflect our real-world beauty standards.
However, there seems to be a public consensus that curvy people are beautiful.
Body-positive Instagram influencer Megan Jayne Crabbe reminds audiences of the traps of hating our bodies.
She notes, “Hating our bodies is something that we learn, and it sure as hell is something that we can unlearn.”
To learn more, check out our thick quotes below.
Short thick quotes celebrating being larger than life
Check out these quotes from some of the most confident entertainers out there.
1. “Just be fat and shut up about it.” — Roseanne Barr
2. “It’s okay to be fat. “So you’re fat?” — Roseanne Barr
3. “Even if you’re fat, one thing always fits: shoes.” — Mimi Pond
4. “Thin people are beautiful, but fat people are adorable.” — Jackie Gleason
5. “I’d rather look chubby on screen and as a person in real life.” — Jennifer Lawrence
6. “The reason fat people are happy is that the nerves are well protected.” — Luciano Pavarotti
7. “I found there was only one way to look thin. Hang out with fat people.” — Rodney Dangerfield
8. “You can be fat and still be sexy. It all depends on how you feel about yourself.” — Elizabeth Taylor
9. “It’s funny how a chubby kid can just be having fun, and people call it entertainment!” — Garth Brooks
10. “Every chubby girl’s dream is to have a guy who says “You are not fat. You are just cute.” — Sree Soumya
The top thick quotes celebrating curves
Check out these quotes about loving curves.
11. “I’m as thick as a plank.” — Princess Diana
12. “Each individual woman’s body demands to be accepted on its own terms.” — Gloria Steinem
13. “No amount of self-improvement can make up for any lack of self-acceptance.” — Robert Holden
14. “Men are governed by lines of intellect. Women by curves of emotion. — James Joyce
15. “Cultivate your curves; they may be dangerous, but they won’t be avoided. — Mae West
16. “I’m not overweight. I fluctuate between chubby and curvy.” — Mindy Kaling
17. “I want to be a big, fleshy, voluptuous woman with curves. I want a big bum, but I don’t have one.” — Cameron Diaz
18. “Since I don’t look like every other girl, it takes a while to be okay with that. To be different. But different is good.” — Serena Williams
19. “It’s a natural blessing. Thanks to God. He gave me this ability to being chubby but still being fast and being able to hit hard.” — Andy Ruiz, Jr.
20. “The reality was my life wasn’t miserable because I was curvy; I was miserable because I thought I’d be happier if I were thinner.” ― Brittany Gibbons
The best Thick quotes from Tressie McMillan Cottum
Tressie McMillan Cottum’s essay, Thick, is full of thought-provoking material.
21. “Talk should be meaningful or kept to a minimum.” — Tressie McMillan Cottom, Thick
22. “Black girlhood ends whenever a man says it ends.” — Tressie McMillan Cottom, Thick
23. “Beauty is not good capital. It compounds the oppression of gender.” — Tressie McMillan Cottom, Thick
24. “It is not useful for human flourishing. Beauty is, like all capital, merely valuable.” — Tressie McMillan Cottom, Thick
25. “I hate small talk. It is small. Small is for teacups and occasionally for tiny houses.” — Tressie McMillan Cottom, Thick
26. “Being too much of one thing and not enough of another had been a recurring theme in my life.” — Tressie McMillan Cottom, Thick
27. “They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that ugly is as ugly does. Both are lies.” — Tressie McMillan Cottom, Thick
28. “Ugly is everything done to you in the name of beauty. Knowing the difference is part of getting free.” — Tressie McMillan Cottom, Thick
29. “It [beauty] costs money and demands money. It colonizes. It hurts. It is painful. It can never be fully satisfied.” — Tressie McMillan Cottom, Thick
30. “Smart is only a construct of correspondence between one’s abilities, one’s environment, and one’s moment in history.” — Tressie McMillan Cottom, Thick
Famous thick quotes about authentically defining beauty
Check out these quotes that remind us beauty is much more than a body type or size.
31. “Treat your body like an instrument, not an ornament.” ― Gary Thomas
32. “Do not apologize for your sacred body. All of you is holy.” — Ashley Asti
33. “Life is so much more beautiful and complex than a number on a scale. — Tess Munster
34. “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” — Thich Nhat Hanh
35. “Confidence is the only key. I can’t think of any better representation of beauty than someone who is unafraid to be herself.” — Emma Stone
36. “Your body; your diet; your life. It isn’t perfect. It never will be. But it’s real. It’s honest. It’s beautifully flawed. And totally magical.” ― Nicola Jane Hobbs
37. “The most attractive thing about you should have less to do with your face or body and more to do with your attitude and how you treat people. ― Germany Kent
38. “Real beauty isn’t about symmetry or weight or makeup. It’s about looking life right in the face and seeing all its magnificence reflected in your own.” — Valerie Monroe
39. “Being a healthy woman isn’t about getting on a scale or measuring your waistline. We need to start focusing on what matters; on how we feel and how we feel about ourselves. — Michelle Obama
40. “My body is not yours to critique and discuss. My body is not yours for consumption. My body is my vessel. An archive of experiences. A weapon that has fought battles only I understand. A library of love, pain, struggle, victory, and mystery. — Sophie Lewis
Thick quotes and sayings about the benefits of thick skin
Thick skin is a virtue in a judgemental society.
41. “A thick skin is a gift from God.” — Konrad Adenauer
42. “Bounce back not by being thick-skinned, but by being thick-willed.” — Adil Dhalla
43. “I don’t think I have thick skin, but I heal fast. It’s easy to break through, but I heal fast.” — Trevor Noah
44. “Being a fabricator is fun, amazing, and empowering, but you’ll need to put on your thick skin to face opposition on a daily basis.” — Jessi Combs
45. “Rejection happens, and you have to have a thick skin about it, which is hard. You can’t be overly sensitive about people not picking you.” — Maura Tierney
46. “I have pretty thick skin, and I think if you’re going to be in this business, if you’re going to be an actor or a writer, you better have a thick skin.” — John Irving
47. “Let me just say as one who has been speaker of the House, I’ve had to have a very thick skin about every kind of thing that was thrown at me.” — Nancy Pelosi
48. “As players, you need to have thick skin, and we need to have belief that you will have bad days, but it’s about making sure you have more good days than bad.” — Chris Smalling
49. “I have a thick skin, which comes from being a not-really-skinny, dark-skinned Indian woman. I haven’t fit in every place, and so I’m kind of used to resistance.” — Mindy Kaling
50. “I’ve always been really, really aware of my insecurities – really, really aware. I never developed that thick skin that keeps you from letting things get to you.” — Taylor Swift
Love the skin you are in and honor your frame the same
It is never a good idea to dislike any parts of who we are.
We must fully embrace ourselves physically, mentally, or emotionally.
If you are thick, be proud of it!
Do you have a favorite thick quote?
Be sure to let us know in the comments.