Everyone knows that dogs are man’s best friend, and these Marley and Me quotes prove their love and connection are unshakable.
Marley and Me is a memoir written by John Grogan in 2005 and later adapted into a movie of the same name in 2008.
You might also like these related articles:
The movie stars Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston, among other actors, and like the book, it was a hit with audiences.
The film grossed over $247 million at the box office against a $60 million budget.
The story tells of John Grogan and his family’s 13 years spent with a misbehaving yellow Labrador Retriever named Marley.
When the Grogans first get their little puppy, he is cute and rambunctious, but they expect he will grow out of the behavior, although he never does.
Look at these Marley and Me Quotes, and you will be excited to read the book and watch the movie!
Marley and Me Quotes From John
As Marley’s owner, John goes through a lot with Marley.
1. “There’s no such thing as a bad dog, just a bad owner.” — John
2. “Kill a plant, buy a puppy. Well, of course, it made perfect sense.” — John
3. “A dog doesn’t care if you’re rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb.” — John
4. “A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine.” — John
5. “How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?” — John
6. “It’s just the most amazing thing to love a dog, isn’t it? It makes our relationships with people seem as boring as a bowl of oatmeal.” — John
7. “We could have bought a small yacht with what we spent on our dog and all the things he destroyed. Then again, how many yachts wait by the door all day for your return?” — John
8. “And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty.” — John
9. “You know how we’re always saying what a pain you are, you’re the world’s worst dog, don’t believe it, don’t believe it for one minute because you know we couldn’t find a better dog, I love you, more than anything, you’re a great dog, I love you.” — John
10. “Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day. It is amazing how much love and laughter they bring into our lives and even how much closer we become with each other because of them.” — John
Marley and Me Quotes From John’s Friends and Family
Throughout John’s time with Marley, his family and friends are always there with him.
11. “I dunno.” — Arnie
12. “There’s no glow.” — Arnie
13. “Why are you laughing?” — Jorge
14. “You’re part of the plan.” — Jennifer
15. “I’m just very immature.” — Sebastian
16. “Sometimes life has a better idea.” — Arnie Klein
17. “There were 11 thunderstorms while you were gone, 11, you were right, he doesn’t like them, and just so you know, I am a dog person, but that is not a dog, that is evil with a dog face that humps my leg and is peeing on your carpet.” — Debby
Marley and Me Quotes About Marley
Take a look at some Marley and Me quotes about Marley himself.
18. “Marley!!!” — John
19. “Bye, clearance puppy.” — Jennifer
20. “He taught us the art of unqualified love. How to give it, how to accept it.” — John
21. “Dear Marley, I loved you all my life. I hope you like heaven and have lots to chew on.” — Conor
22. “I don’t know exactly where we go from here… but I want you to remember you’re a great dog, Marley.” — John
23. “Marley’s not allowed to drink out of the toilet; you should just keep him out of the bathroom in general.” — Jennifer
24. “Our rambunctious, wired dog stood with his shoulders between Jenny’s knees, his big, blocky head resting quietly in her lap.” — John
25. “His body would quiver, his head would bob from side to side, and his entire rear end would swing in a sort of spastic dance. We called it the Marley Mambo.” — John
What Happens to Marley?
Marley never grows up from the puppy stage, and although he is a loving and good-natured dog, he continues to destroy the family’s property.
Ultimately as Marley ages, the family accepts his good and bad behavior.
When he passes away at 13 years old, it is a devastating blow to the family.
Please share these Marley and Me quotes with your family and friends and post any comments about the story in the comment section below.