Being two-faced is not a good thing to be—as you will see from these two-faced quotes!
Let us know the two-faced quote that resonated with you the most in the comment section below.
We throw this word around a lot, and it’s got a few synonyms that go along with it! You might call someone who is two-faced hypocritical, deceitful, or fake.
What are the benefits of reading these two-faced quotes?
A two-faced person is someone who is insincere or who acts one way in certain situations and then in a completely different way in others.
For example, someone who would be described as two-faced is a person who pretends like you’re their friend but then calls you names as soon as you are out of earshot.
These quotes will help you spot and deal with hypocrisy.
Let’s be honest, though—we can all be a bit hypocritical at times.
Former psychology professor and author Robert Kurzban believes that we are all hypocrites.
According to him, hypocrisy is the natural state of the human mind.
There are so many conflicting beliefs and moral issues that each of us faces.
We do our best to live life in a way where our beliefs and actions are congruent.
However, what happens when one of our deeply held beliefs conflicts with another one of our core beliefs?
We get a bit hypocritical…
While this is a fairly common human element, some of us are more hypocritical than others.
Then there are those people who are downright deceitful, and everything they do seems fake!
These would be the people who we would call two-faced.
Keep reading through these two-faced quotes for some great witty responses you can use the next time you encounter a two-faced person.
Two-faced quotes that will fire up your Instagram
1. “You’re just like a penny, two-faced and worthless.” ― Unknown
2. “If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?” ― Abraham Lincoln
3. “Remember, there are two sides to every story. Kinda like your face!” — Unknown
4. “If you’re gonna be two-faced, at least make one of them pretty.” ― Marilyn Monroe
5. “I really hate two-faced people. It’s hard to decide which face to slap first.” — Yong Junhyung
6. “The person portrayed and the portrait are two entirely different things.” — Jose Ortega Y. Gasset
7. “Being nice to the people you don’t like isn’t called two-faced, it’s called growing up.” ― Unknown
8. “I’d rather deal with thick-faced people rather than wasting time with two-faced ones.” ― Unknown
9. “When I see you, I think, “I wonder which face she sees when she looks into the mirror.” ― C. JoyBell C.
10. “When people are two-faced, the only thing you’ll know for sure is that you can’t trust either of them.” ― Unknown
Two-faced quotes about hypocrites and hypocrisy
11. “Hypocrisy has its own elegant symmetry.” — Julie Metz
12. “A hypocrite is a person who—but who isn’t?” ― Don Marquis
13. “Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy.” — Ambrose Bierce
14. “Don’t trip over your own words and fall into hypocrisy.” — Unknown
15. “Every veil secretly desires to be lifted, except the veil of Hypocrisy.” — Richard Garnett
16. “We ought to see far enough into a hypocrite to see even his sincerity.” — Thomas Fuller
17. “Everybody is a hypocrite. You can’t live on this planet without being a hypocrite.” — Paul Watson
18. “Facebook is where hypocrisy, falseness, double standards, rumors and depression meet up for coffee.” — Unknown
19. “The only vice that cannot be forgiven is hypocrisy. The repentance of a hypocrite is itself hypocrisy.” — William Hazlitt
20. “Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite.” — Charles Spurgeon
Two-faced quotes about wearing a mask and pretending
21. “If you want people to love you for who you are, take the mask off.” — Quetzal
22. “Villainy wears many masks; none so dangerous as the mask of virtue.” — Washington Irving
23. “The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be.” ― Socrates
24. “Without wearing any mask we are conscious of, we have a special face for each friend.” ― Oliver Wendell Holmes
25. “Those who clap you on the back with one hand may clench envy’s mask behind theirs with the other.” ― Stewart Stafford
26. “A masquerade that nice guys can persuade with such charming ways and leave you with such heartache.” — Celia Rouge Hofin
27. “Don’t be fooled by their masks. Fake people eventually show their true colors. Just wait until their mask needs cleaning.” — Unknown
28. “Would you make no distinction between hypocrisy and devotion? Would you give them the same names, and respect the mask as you do the face?” — Moliere
29. “I’m a very positive person, but this whole concept of having to always be nice, always smiling, always happy, that’s not real. It was like I was wearing a mask.” — Alicia Keys
30. “Most people are loved for who they are not! People hide their true colors. They are afraid to show them. They don’t find their true colors beautiful. They find them ugly.” — Thomas Stark
Deep and poetic two-faced quotes
31. “Live truth instead of professing it.” ― Elbert Hubbard
32. “Few love to hear the sins they love to act.” — William Shakespeare
33. “God has given you one face, and you make yourself another.” ― William Shakespeare
34. “Go put your creed into your deed, Nor speak with double tongue.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
35. “Many of us believe that wrongs aren’t wrong if it’s done by nice people like ourselves.” ― Unknown
36. “A smiling assassin will always show you the white of his teeth as he smiles with happiness.” ― Anthony T. Hincks
37. “A man can define many things beautifully in his life, but his character is one beautiful thing that can define him instantly and completely.” ― Anuj Somany
38. “We have two kinds of morality side by side: one which we preach but do not practice and another which we practice but seldom preach.” ― Bertrand Russell
39. “I hope you have not been leading a double life, pretending to be wicked and being good all the time.” ― Oscar Wilde
40. “The amazing face of the motherly mammal of a seal near the oceanic shore has more honesty to offer to our world than the unreliable feature of a two-faced politician.” ― Munia Khan
Two-faced quotes from books and writers
41. “Typos and type shifts can change true friends into thorough fiends.” ― Stewart Stafford
42. “Hypocrites preach morality but live a shameful life.” ― Frank Sonnenberg, Listen to Your Conscience: That’s Why You Have One
43. “I think there are two different oceans—the one that plays with you in the summer, and the one that gets so mad in the winter.” — Jodi Picoult, Handle with Care
44. “‘Courtesy of tongue,’ said Rowena, ‘when it is used to veil churlishness of deed, is but a knight’s girdle around the breast of a base clown.’” ― Walter Scott, Ivanhoe
45. “Papi was a man split in two, playing a game against himself. But the problem with that is that in order to win, you also have to lose.” ― Elizabeth Acevedo, Clap When You Land
Longer two-faced quotes from books and writers
46. “He smiled when he talked, a smile that was not completely cold, but was the professional smile of a man who spends his days answering easy questions for people whom he’d rather usher out of his office via catapult.” ― Cherie Priest, Dreadnought
47. “Mom saved those conversations for our daily phone calls because she thought David wouldn’t find out about this other side. But he could see the changes in me when I talked to my mom.” ― Olga Trujillo, The Sum of My Parts: A Survivor’s Story of Dissociative Identity Disorder
48. “Monster was such a subjective word. It was what they called the demons that made up the Regime. Perhaps it was what the demons called them. Yet they all looked alike, so perhaps neither of them were monsters—or perhaps both sides were.” ― Dean F. Wilson, Hopebreaker
49. “How could I reconcile this motherliness with the screeching fury who had pursued me around the kitchen with a whip, flogging me until she was gorged with—what? Vengeance? What was it? Once, when I was in my thirties and reading Freud for the first time, I thought I knew. I am not so sure I know now. But what I knew then was that nobody—not even my mother—was to be trusted in a strange world that showed very little of itself on the surface.” ― Robertson Davies, Fifth Business
50. “My parents were two-faced. To me, they showed no mercy. They preached from theBook of Fallen Children. Commandment 1: The Child Is Always Ungrateful. At eighteen, the free ride would stop, and I’d be dumped into the mess of the world. But in their private moments, they were soft, cowed by love. They critiqued their own parenting skills and thought of all the ways they could help their kids get ahead.” ― Ta-Nehisi Coates, The Beautiful Struggle: A Father, Two Sons and an Unlikely Road to Manhood
How to spot a fake friend
One of the most common places we encounter two-faced people is within our friend groups.
Use these tips to spot a fake friend and recognize the signs of two-faced behavior.
The first thing to consider is whether someone is only around you when they need something.
And when you need a friend, they are usually nowhere to be found. Real friends will be there for you, while fake friends will not.
Then, of course, there is the more obvious and two-faced behavior of talking trash behind your back.
What does two-faced behavior look like?
Sure, we might all gossip a little, but when someone is your friend, they won’t go out of their way to say mean things.
Even worse is when that two-faced behavior turns into straight-up sabotage.
This could be done at work, with other friends, and even in romantic relationships.
The need to sabotage you is born out of the fake friend’s jealousy.
Remember, the behavior of other people is about them and not you.
What stories do you have about two-faced people? Let us know in the comment section below!
September 13, 2022 8:00 AM EST