These memory quotes will help remind you how far you’ve come and motivate you to keep moving forward.
In life, memory is all that we have. Each moment in time is so fleeting that it is over in an instant. Every decision, every experience, every minute – it is all gone as quickly as it started. That is why we have our memories.
What is your fondest memory?
While wise men say that it is better to live in the present, there is no harm in a little nostalgia every once in a while, right? After all, what were all of those great experiences for if we can’t look back on them and remember what we learned and how we felt?
As long as we understand that the past is the past and it cannot be changed, it can be fun to look back on old times. It can do wonders for your well-being to stop and reflect on how far you’ve come and remember loving memories.
Let these memory quotes inspire you to create new and wonderful memories every day.
Nostalgic memory quotes
1. “It doesn’t matter what you did in the past, you can’t change it. The best you can do about your past is to be nostalgic with your family and loved ones about happy memories.” – Zoe McKey
2. “We must use time wisely for our development and advancement; so that when we are old, we can look back and recollect the pleasant memories and deeds that we have achieved.” – Michael Lee
3. “Memories may fade as the years go by but they won’t age a day.” –Michelle C. Ustaszeski
4. “Many incidents of those early years are fixed in my memory, isolated, but clear and distinct, making the sense of that silent, aimless, dayless life all the more intense.” – Helen Keller
5. “Memory is the treasure house of the mind wherein the monuments thereof are kept and preserved.” – Thomas Fuller
6. “Imagination has a great potential to improve your memory. It allows traveling beyond the horizon, attaching various stories or images to the things you wish to remember, in turn it will strengthen your memory.” –William D, Memory
7. “Enjoy good memories. But don’t spend your remaining days here looking back, wishing for “the good old days.” – Randy Alcorn
8. “Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.” – L.M. Montgomery
Attentive memory quotes
9. “To observe attentively is to remember distinctly.” – Edgar Allan Poe
10. “The amazing power of pictures to stay in the memory is well documented.” – Graham Shaw
11. “Figure out how to be keen on it, make it fun and you will learn quicker, and recollect more.” – Eimantas Gabalis
12. “More than 1500 students showed me when to talk and when to listen. They taught me how to imagine, and how to dream. They gave me wonderful memories, and left footprints on my heart.” – Jacquie McTaggart
13. “Here’s a basic memory rule: You Can Remember Any New Piece of Information if It Is Associated to Something You Already Know or Remember.” – Harry Lorayne
14. “No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar”- Abraham Lincoln
15. “Science has proven that people who regularly jot down their thoughts in a journal are less likely to have cognitive and memory loss as they age.” – Christian J. Borg
16. “You can’t trust your memory, when you think of an idea write it down.” – Joe Hinchliffe
17. “Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory.” – Leonardo da Vinci
18. “Just as food eaten without appetite is a tedious nourishment, so does study without zeal damage the memory by not assimilating what it absorbs.” – Leonardo da Vinci
Memory quotes about happiness
19. “On this Valentines let me tell you, you are a sweetheart who makes every day the bright and cheerful kind, who brings the warmest memories and the happiest thoughts to mind.” – Catherine Pulsifer
20. “There would be many things to follow, as our friendship has many things. And so much of them reminds me of the happiness our friendship brings.” – Julie Hebert
21. “Memories were a welcome reprieve from the worries of my day.” –Unknown
22. “Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume.” –Jean de Boufflers
23. “A healthy relationship requires you to let go of the bitter memories of past and moves on with a new hope.” – Adam Green, T.D.
24. “Allow yourself to smile just a tiny bit. Like revisiting a memory of happiness. Turn the corners of your mouth turn up a little and feel the muscles of your cheekbones slightly contracting.” – Jenny Clift
25. “Memories warm you up from the inside. But they also tear you apart.” –Haruki Murakami
26. “The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It’s the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.” – Lois Lowry
27. “Humans, not places, make memories.” – Ama Ata Aidoo
28. “Memories are bullets. Some whiz by and only spook you. Others tear you open and leave you in pieces.” – Richard Kadrey
29. “If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything.” – Mark Twain
30. “A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.” – Steven Wright
Memory quotes about identity
31. “No one can ever take your memories from you – each day is a new beginning, make good memories every day.” – Catherine Pulsifer
32. “You may not think you have a good memory, but you remember what’s important to you.” – Rick Warren
33. “Memory is a record of your personal experience. It is a record of trial and error, defeat and success. Past failures will warn you against repeating them.” – Wilfred Peterson
34. “Your memory is the glue that binds your life together; everything you are today is because of your amazing memory. You are a data collecting being, and your memory is where your life is lived.” – Kevin Horsley
35. “Your self is created by your memories, and your memories are created by your mental habits.” – Rick Warren
36. “Good memories are most often created without conscious effort. These are the memories that result from those unselfish acts or behaviors that give of our time, talents or gifts without any due regard for repayment.” – Byron R. Pulsifer
37. “With a strong, healthy memory, you can overcome mental barriers to achieve success in your personal, professional, and academic life. Without it, you will find yourself struggling at every turn.” – John Parker
38. “Memories of our lives, of our works and our deeds will continue in others.” – Rosa Parks
39. “People leave strange little memories of themselves behind when they die.” – Haruki Murakami
40. “Every man’s memory is his private literature.” – Aldous Huxley
41. “There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.” – Josh Billings
Memory quotes about experience
42. “Those moments you fail are not the end, they are periods in which you recollect thoughts, ideas, and ambitions, and change direction.” – Benjamin Chapin
43. “Love poems are little bits of memory and story that remind and shape us back into the experience of love.” – Tito Tinajero
44. “Don’t let the “good old days” be your memory. Make each day a good day so as you are growing older life is an adventure to be enjoyed not a memory.” – Catherine Pulsifer
45. “What we call memories are really present thoughts. What we call anticipations are really present thoughts. No one has ever lived in any moment except the present.” – Emmet Fox
46. “No matter how much suffering you went through, you never wanted to let go of those memories.” – Haruki Murakami
47. “There are memories that time does not erase… Forever does not make loss forgettable, only bearable.” – Cassandra Clare
48. “There comes a time in your life when you have to choose to turn the page, write another book or simply close it.” – Shannon L. Alder
49. “The worst memories stick with us, while the nice ones always seem to slip through our fingers.” – Rachel Vincent
50. “People don’t realize that now is all there ever is; there is no past or future except as memory or anticipation in your mind.” – Eckhart Tolle
Which of these memory quotes is your favorite?
While looking back on your life with regret is not advised, it can be nice to reflect on your past in a more positive way. Reflecting on your youth can remind you how far you’ve come. It is natural for us to be our biggest critics, and sometimes we get lost in our future goals. Remembering the past can remind you of the progress you’ve made and motivate you to keep moving forward.
When memories are all we have to show for our lives, we better make them good ones. Make sure to make a new and wonderful memory every day so that someday you can look back on those moments with love.
Did you enjoy these memory quotes and sayings? Which quote was your favorite? Let us know in the comment section below.
February 2, 2020 7:10 AM EST